Boating documents

Ya.. I should probably know the answer to this.. I always carry my fishing license with me, and boating license.. but I have no ownership or anything for the boat I bought a year ago.

It was a cash deal with a buddy's uncle.. and I didn't get a bill of sale or anything..

anyone wanna advise me on the legal thing to do.. thx!

If the boat has more than 10HP on it.. it is a requirement to be carrying a copy of the matching paper vessel registration for the numbers on the boat. $300 fine for failure to show ! Under 10 HP.. no registration.. no need to carry proof of ownership.

Guest gbfisher

Yes you need your ownership with you. I carry two. :dunno: I ask first which they would rather see....a photo copy of the original or the real McCoy. Why you may ask?... :unsure: ..cause the OPP like the MNR can't seem to get on track about what you need. Some OPP say you need a photo copy while the others... :rolleyes: say different. So I ask first and give them what they want.... :good:

Yes you need your ownership with you. I carry two. :dunno: I ask first which they would rather see....a photo copy of the original or the real McCoy. Why you may ask?... :unsure: ..cause the OPP like the MNR can't seem to get on track about what you need. Some OPP say you need a photo copy while the others... :rolleyes: say different. So I ask first and give them what they want.... :good:

I hear you Andy.. but if they can tell the difference between an original and a photocopy off my HP 3390 I'll eat my hat! Besides... all Service Canada is doing now is printing them off what ever tax payers printer they have at hand!

Edited by irishfield

Guest gbfisher

I hear you Andy.. but if they can tell the difference between an original and a photocopy off my HP 3390 I'll eat my hat! Besides... all Service Canada is doing now is printing them off what ever tax payers printer they have at hand!

I guess if ya trim the paper down to size.......I'll have three now...lol

How much ya wanna bet I get a ticket for having more than one. :clapping:

Not to wander off the original question but, darned if you don't find something new that's going to bite some people in the wallet. Got it from the Transport Canada/Marine Division site, I think you may have to renew regardless if there's an info amendment, here goes:

Recent amendments to the Small Vessel Regulations have resulted in the following changes to the Pleasure Craft Licensing Process:

Owners of licensed pleasure craft now have up to 90 days from the date of purchase to transfer a pleasure craft licence. During which time you may continue to operate your pleasure craft with the existing licence and a copy of the transfer documents onboard.

Pleasure craft licences are valid for a period of 10 years. If there are changes to your name or address in that time, you must update your licence by applying to Service Canada.

Service Canada delivers Pleasure Craft Licensing at all of their offices across Canada

Yep.. they claim the 10 year requirement to renew is to keep updated information in the event of finding an overturned boat or the likes! But you know it's really a plan to start charging for transfers.. kinda like that FREE gun registry started out!

So what kinda trouble are they going to give me when I bring an old boat from our camp in New Brunswick with no papers and want to register it? Can I go in and say I have an old boat that was never registered but I would like to bring it all up to date now?

If the boat has more than 10HP on it.. it is a requirement to be carrying a copy of the matching paper vessel registration for the numbers on the boat. $300 fine for failure to show ! Under 10 HP.. no registration.. no need to carry proof of ownership.

In my case my motor is 15 hp...so definitely the pleasure craft license permit, but, I could have swore I read that the ownership was necessary as well. Now I'm looking closely at this document and it does have the hull ID # of the boat, the length and description plus my name on it...however it also states that it is not a title document.

You will have to print their document and go to a Notary to have stamped/signed to swear you own the boat, before they will issue registration for it. Mind you.. if it has numbers on it now, then they should be able to search the registration and print you a new one anyhow!

In my case my motor is 15 hp...so definitely the pleasure craft license permit, but, I could have swore I read that the ownership was necessary as well. Now I'm looking closely at this document and it does have the hull ID # of the boat, the length and description plus my name on it...however it also states that it is not a title document.

In most of our cases.. we are actually licencing out boats, not registering them. Registering is when you register a name for the vessel and generally done on much larger vessels.. like the HMS Tom Coffin etc. The licence 29E23456 etc is not a "title", but is all that is needed to show "ownership" to the OPP when being spot checked.

Service Canada website for those that need the declarion under oath to get things legal.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/boats/pcl.shtml

Also note that when trailering, it's a good idea to have a copy of the trailer ownership and pleasure craft licence in the tow vehicle... as the OPP are asking to see both now when you get pulled over. A great effort to try and curb theft! (and it will save you from undoing that trailering cover and trying to find the glove box!)

Edited by irishfield

In most of our cases.. we are actually licencing out boats, not registering them. Registering is when you register a name for the vessel and generally done on much larger vessels.. like the HMS Tom Coffin etc. The licence 29E23456 etc is not a "title", but is all that is needed to show "ownership" to the OPP when being spot checked.

Service Canada website for those that need the declarion under oath to get things legal.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/boats/pcl.shtml

Also note that when trailering, it's a good idea to have a copy of the trailer ownership and pleasure craft licence in the tow vehicle... as the OPP are asking to see both now when you get pulled over. A great effort to try and curb theft! (and it will save you from undoing that trailering cover and trying to find the glove box!)

Thanks, Wayne! Was second guessing myself on this one. Now I've got to dig up my trailer ownership...think it is buried in my glovebox somewhere.

I was told real recently by Service Canada that proof of registration was not proof of ownership. You need your bill of sale to prove ownership. They advised carrying both. Plus your pleasure craft card. Seems kinda silly to me. Almost need a filing cabinet on board to carry all the documentation.

I was told real recently by Service Canada that proof of registration was not proof of ownership. You need your bill of sale to prove ownership. They advised carrying both. Plus your pleasure craft card. Seems kinda silly to me. Almost need a filing cabinet on board to carry all the documentation.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHH :lol: Maybe we need to contact the OPP, or Ministry to try and get a straight answer...the pleasure craft license document seems to have all the necessary information. If they are checking to see if a boat is stolen.

Now Im confused what to do, I inherited my boat from my grandfather who past away about 3 years ago. the boat is a 14' with a 9.9 and well I heard I dont need any paper work for the boat as its under 10hp but what about the trailer that was given with the boat? what do I need to do with that. as well as what do I do as I am looking at getting a used 25hp for my boat because I would then be over the 10hp no paper limit.

any information would be appreciated

you need a ownership (and plate obviously) for the trailer -- from the MTO.

you'll need a vessel license if you stick the 25 on it -- from Service Canada.

Edited by Raf

the word ownership keeps coming up. there is no such thing as an ownership for a boat, while there are registration and licensing documents. a bill of sale signed and dated by you and the seller is about the closest thing that qualifies. a big hole in the process if you ask me.