Esnagi lake

misfish

It's a lake located just east of White River. Accessed only by air or rail, it's somewhat remote.

White River Air has two lodges on the lake, Marmac and Eighty Eight. Both are classic Canadian lodges.

Esnagi has been one of the top walleye lakes in that region since the 50's.

Edited by solopaddler

It's a lake located just east of White River. Accessed only by air or rail, it's somewhat remote.

White River Air has two lodges on the lake, Marmac and Eighty Eight. Both are classic Canadian lodges.

I kinda figured it would be like you said Solo.My grandfather and his brother were very venturse with thier trips.I dought though,they flew,most likely took the rail.

I,ll be looking into the railway way,if it still exsist.

Heres the pic I posted a few years back of him.Looks like he had a great time.

Thanks again guys

img002.jpg

I kinda figured it would be like you said Solo.My grandfather and his brother were very venturse with thier trips.I dought though,they flew,most likely took the rail.

I,ll be looking into the railway way,if it still exsist.

Heres the pic I posted a few years back of him.Looks like he had a great time.

Thanks again guys

img002.jpg

Great picture, love the old stubby. :D

It's still a fantastic walleye lake and yep you can still access it by rail.

Nope. He's fished Esnagami N/W of Nakina. Close though. :)

Yep. He's shot at least one episode on Esnagi. :Gonefishing: (although I thought it had been multiple.) ;)

He's the reason I've heard of North To Adventures. :P

Here's his newsletter. About half way down, the 1st one under 'Outfitter & Lodge Spotlight'

http://www.goingfishingtv.com/newsletter.view.asp?id=11

Love to get up to ANY of those lakes for some C & R!

Let's go Solo, let's hit BOTH lakes and report back. You okay to drive? :thumbsup_anim:

Yep. He's shot at least one episode on Esnagi. :Gonefishing: (although I thought it had been multiple.) ;)

He's the reason I've heard of North To Adventures. :P

Here's his newsletter. About half way down, the 1st one under 'Outfitter & Lodge Spotlight'

http://www.goingfishingtv.com/newsletter.view.asp?id=11

Love to get up to ANY of those lakes for some C & R!

Let's go Solo, let's hit BOTH lakes and report back. You okay to drive? :thumbsup_anim:

I stand corrected. I knew he'd filmed a couple times at Esnagami, but had no idea he'd been to Esnagi. :blush:

I've already fished both :). Between the two Esnagami is maybe a bit better. Bigger and more varied, bigger pike and the chance for brookies in the river.

I'll be flying right over Esnagami on Sat enroute to the Attawapiskat.

I stand corrected. I knew he'd filmed a couple times at Esnagami, but had no idea he'd been to Esnagi. :blush:

I've already fished both :). Between the two Esnagami is maybe a bit better. Bigger and more varied, bigger pike and the chance for brookies in the river.

I'll be flying right over Esnagami on Sat enroute to the Attawapiskat.

Jealous!

Look forward to the report. :clapping:

Brian:

Esnagi is about an hr north of Wawa--you can fly in or train in at white river. great walleye fishery--lots of numbers and good quality too, though huge fish are uncommon (unlike georgian bay where i fish where its just the opposite). It's a bit pricey but the camp, lodge, and cabins are first rate. service and food is off the charts.

big pike fishery too. lots of lunkers. have been there twice and am going back this august. counting the days. let me know if you want more info.

I went there with the wife and another couple 30 odd years ago.

In a long weekend we caught probably a hundred or so walleyes each. Never fished before 10 am or after 6 pm and it was 80 degrees all weekend. Its still the same.

if you fish outa lodge 88 they have access to a great little speckie lake,just a short portage through the bush.I beleive it's catch and release or maybe 1 trout each for a shore lunch. They are first class operations, I think every Canadian fishing show has done a show outa 88. I know Chronzy,Fish'n Canada and fish tv have all done episodes there.

Esnagi is a great lake...there is road access, however good luck finding it and if you do, the owners will be on you like white on rice. We fish it in the winter, we get there by ski-doos and the fishing is still amazing. It is nice, from Wawa in the winter we are there in an hour to an hour and a half.

I know the owners of the lodge, awesome people..down to earth and love the fishing and hunting. One thing for sure...if you go, you will not be disappointed...the walleye fishing and the pike fishing are simply amazing...and you will see a lot of fish in the 18-22 inch range.

After looking through all the imformation that both Marmac and Eighty Eight have posted on thier websites,this would be trip of a life time and is pretty pricey for a couple to spend a week,but would be a well deserved and memorible trip.

I have requested some brochures from them.This forsure is a trip we are going to work on for next year.Maybe get my bro and his wife to go aswell,as this would cut the cost.

Im thinking the trip right from Union station would be the best.No wear and tear on the car or chance of breakdown,and we can relax right from the get go.

Thanks again for the info all. :clapping:

white river is one damn fine place to go for walleye! soooo many places around there. not gunna mention the goodies...... buuuut im not goin around that area tomorrow, im goin out east a little ways for my walleye wink.gif. should be a fun filled day. some nice 40+" pike and decent walleye.

white river is one damn fine place to go for walleye! soooo many places around there. not gunna mention the goodies...... buuuut im not goin around that area tomorrow, im goin out east a little ways for my walleye wink.gif. should be a fun filled day. some nice 40+" pike and decent walleye.

I assumed the trail into Esnagi was off limits to the public because of the lodges on the lake.

Guess not.

If you do make it up, enjoy. All of those little northern lakes are teaming with walleye and pike. I'm green with envy. I'd love to be able to just jig or rig and nail a ton of fish. down here, we have to work for our walleye.

BTW, I love the pic!! A stubby and feet up with a rod in hand, that's the life brother!! Too bad we can't do that any longer.

• 2 weeks later...