Badgers on the move in Ontario

bigfish1965

I have had the pleasure of working lately with the Ontario Badgers project. They are working hard at trying to find and document burrows and populations. The badger is on the endangered species list and its return to Southern Ontario is important.

Right now the migration appears to be from the extreme southwest (Windsor) though to Niagara.

Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with the signs of badger activity and report any possible signs to the project on their website.

http://www.ontariobadgers.com/index.html

I am awaiting DNA confirmation on my first burrow find....which was only 300 meters from my house!!

Contrary to their reputation, badgers are docile and somewhat secretive. But i sure wouldn't want to tangle with one!!!

I hear they're cuddly like a teddy bear and make wonderful household pets---those or wolverines :whistling:

Remember kids do your homework before you trust the 1st statement.

I've been truckin thru the bush for over forty years--from coast to coast---never actually come across one--thankfully

Good news one would assume. Seems like many different species of flora and fauna are reintroducing themselves to Southern Ontario. I was thinking due to better pollution controls and kinder, gentler humans. :dunno:

for the past three years i've had what i thought was a wolverine near my treestand while deer hunting, but also looks alot like the pics on the website, just darker, almost completely dark brown they always run/jog thru the bush with a grunting/snorting/heavy breathing sound,

the first time it climbed a tree about 20' from me, stopped at my level, stared at me for a bit then got down and ran off, last fall i was walking the bush near a swamp and noticed a rabbit running straight towards me at full speed, about 10 seconds later this animal came chasing behind but once it saw me it turned and ran off,

this is near Grundy Lake P.P.

Rick one is living right were I work in KW see him/her all the time out in the grass.

Please put in a report on their website. They are doing well in the KW area and one of the techs (Mike) lives that way I think. If you can get them a few pics and a GPS coordinate that would be bonus, but a general area description is pretty good.

Nope.. that's not what I shot last night!

Got ground hogs, fishers and porqupines... no badgers.

Should we start the bail fund for you now...lol...

for the past three years i've had what i thought was a wolverine near my treestand while deer hunting, but also looks alot like the pics on the website, just darker, almost completely dark brown they always run/jog thru the bush with a grunting/snorting/heavy breathing sound,

the first time it climbed a tree about 20' from me, stopped at my level, stared at me for a bit then got down and ran off, last fall i was walking the bush near a swamp and noticed a rabbit running straight towards me at full speed, about 10 seconds later this animal came chasing behind but once it saw me it turned and ran off,

Put in a query with the guys and tell them this...if we have enough reports here I will also get them to monitor the thread. :)

Thanks walleyejigger.

Badgers

We don't need no stinking badgers........

sorry, an old misquote

UHF. Brilliant. "Turtles are natures suction cup." Raul I believe was the characters name.

Edited by Rick OBanion

I have the same thing near my tree stand but it is a fisher.

fishr.jpg

Here is an actual trail cam pic from a family of badgers in Southern Ontario taken a few days ago. Location is undisclosed to protect them, but it is southwestern Ontario. This was sent to me yesterday by Josh Sayers, head of the project.

IMG_2831.JPG

I'm in the KW area and fish the surrounding area often. I always keep my eyes open for animals and have yet to see a badger. When, and if, I do, you'll be the first person I contact.

Cheers on the good project and for making it known.

Also - does anyone know how rare mink are in the area? I've seen two recently. One was fishing and doing better than most anglers I know ;)

Ryan

I'm in the KW area and fish the surrounding area often. I always keep my eyes open for animals and have yet to see a badger. When, and if, I do, you'll be the first person I contact.

Cheers on the good project and for making it known.

Also - does anyone know how rare mink are in the area? I've seen two recently. One was fishing and doing better than most anglers I know ;)

Ryan

Minks and their cousins, river otters and weasels are not uncommon in the area where there is habitat. They are more common further north, though.