Weird Sound from the Forest

laszlo

For the last few years, every spring when I walk my dog in the ravine, I hear this sound come from the forest and I have no clue what it is. I suspect it's a bird of some kind.

The only way I can describe it: Loud, somewhat higher pitched screetch, that last about 2 seconds. It sounds like it's done from the throat. I've never been able to spot the source.

Any clue???

Thanks.

Guest Johnny Bass

Dont know but when I rented a boat from Walleye man on sparrow lake, we heard this sound and it sounded computer generated. Nothing like I have ever heard before. He told me it was a bird. Dont remember the name of the bird but apperently it makes some noise from deep within its chest, possibly a mating call but this sound is just unreal. I think the bird's name starts with a B.

I'm betting on a Blue Jay too, they have one call they make that I swear sounds identical to the creaking of a clothesline pulley when my Mom used to hang out clothes when I was a kid, about the same interval between calls too as hanging clothes. Your desciption kinda sounds like that call.

Dont know but when I rented a boat from Walleye man on sparrow lake, we heard this sound and it sounded computer generated. Nothing like I have ever heard before. He told me it was a bird. Dont remember the name of the bird but apperently it makes some noise from deep within its chest, possibly a mating call but this sound is just unreal. I think the bird's name starts with a B.

That would be the call of a Bittern, I used to be a park naturalist at Long point Prov. Park in my younger days, fielded that query more than a few times.

You know....I hear the in my neck of the woods too and have always wondered about it. Rick and I tried to figure it out from listening on-line to bird and insect noises, but, no luck. I guess it will remain a mystery for now. If you figure it out, let me know. I'm curious in Niagara! :dunno:

There are plenty of deer behind my place so that's a strong possibility.

Then again there are plenty of almost all animals mentioned above.

I guess the mystery remains until I see this critter in the act of making this call.