AURORA TROUT

TJQ

Great Job TJ,

I read through the entire site and it is definitely the best resource online for Aurora Trout.

Great Job to Tyler Dunn as well for his writing efforts!

If I come across anything in the vast amount of fish/aquatic related reading I have been doing, I'll be sure to pass it your way.

Do you guys intend on fishing for the Aurora this summer?

Ryan

nice looking site , lots of great content . as for fishing for these guys the rules are one fish NO catch and release , first fish you catch you hace to keep and than stop fishing , what if you get one on your first cast , long drive for one cast lol . but great looking fish and a great story of their come back .

As for fishing for these guys the rules are one fish NO catch and release , first fish you catch you hace to keep and than stop fishing.

The rule from www.AuroraTrout.com:

----------------------

Holders of a full sport fishing license may target Aurora Trout with a catch and possession limit of only 1 fish.

----------------------

I don't think this means you HAVE to keep the fish (but please correct me if I am wrong). I think this means that if you catch one, you are done fishing for the time-being, regardless of whether you release the fish or not.

There has been some confusion about NO MULTI-CATCH & RELEASE. There are additional regulations pertaining to Aurora Trout under the Endangered Species Act. You are allowed to catch one (1) Aurora Trout per day. You can keep it or let it go but that's it. No more fishing for the rest of the day on that lake. If you do keep the trout, you must eat it to be able to fish the next day. If you give the trout to friends, you cannot fish on that lake until they eat the trout because legally it's still the trout that you caught.

There is no multi catch-&-release because of the high mortality rate of released fish. We can't have people catch-&-release 50 Aurora Trout in a day only to have half of them die. That would defeat the purpose of having any regulations in the first place. Aurora Trout are a deep-water fish during the heat of the summer, especially in August, but when brought to the surface, they don't burp out air like a Lake Trout. As a result, their internal organs get bruised or even rupture thus 50% of Aurora Trout would die if released. Also, you are catching them 50 feet deep in 50-degree water and then trying to release them in 85-degree water on the surface. They also suffer from temperature shock. . The safest way to fish for Aurora Trout is on the surface and the best time is late summer and early fall. They will come to the surface late in the evening, early in the morning or on a rainy day in August if it is unusually cool out. By September they should be easily taken on the surface with a fly, which is a safe time to catch them.But as I said we planned a trip for this rare fish but allways cancalled when we had no plan B lake to go to if we were lucky enough to get one fast as from T.O. to anyone of the three lakes opened that yaer it was a long drive for one fish , T.J. you are alot closer , but I will settle for pictures and just go brook trout fishing somewhere like the elliot lake area , easy to get to and if you chack the stocking lists lots of lumber roads to lakes full of fish .

Good luck TJ a chance at a trophy of a life time , few since the 1950's can say they did it , but with my luck I would catch a little 10 incher on my first cast and than thats me done , not even a good meal lol let alone a wall mounter.

I was all ready to hit Liberty with Jim last year.. but momma changed all that! Maybe we can hit it together TJ.. you have the number. Monique and Leah can drink Newfy slush on the deck/dock and we can go chase some trouts...

..then again we could do that this year too on some other lakes. Just not Auroras..

After reading about this fish I'm suprised fishing for them is legal in any manner. Am I alone on this one???

Don't get me wrong...I'd love to fish for them but maybe it's better to leave such a fragile creature alone.

After reading about this fish I'm suprised fishing for them is legal in any manner. Am I alone on this one???

Don't get me wrong...I'd love to fish for them but maybe it's better to leave such a fragile creature alone.

I hear you on this one - that same thought definitely popped into my head. I figure angling pressure these fish will encounter will be minimal and it seems that the MNR has planned out the seasons to a tee. I don't think they are messing around here.

How much do you think a rich eccentric would pay for a meal of a fish this rare?? Does the ministry have a solution for the immoral entrepreneur? I for one don't think these fish need any additional fanfare.

Bill Im with you ,You cannot fish for these guys in the two lakes that they originally found in , you can only fish in the stocked lakes (the 9 lakes that now have established populations)and only 3 are opened in any year , the pressure is gonna be very limited Im sure the mnr has thought this out and to make it sound as if your going on a whopping crane hunt , is way out of line . Remember Canada geese were in the same dire straights and now you cant walk near the water with out slipping in goo , commorants were rare at one time etc. etc. I think its great these fish are back and see nothing wrong with fishing them NOW that they are healthy again .

How to find Aurora Trout

Depending on the time of year or even the time of day, Auroras can be a difficult species to locate in any of the lakes populated with them. Aurora’s prefer cold water temperatures more specifically 20 degrees Celsius or lower.

Surely the preferred temperature is a typo? Don't they like it lower? I thought that trout liked it down around 7 - 10 Celsius? Or is a lower temperature optimum whereas the max temp is 20c before they start floating.

Do different trout species like different temperatures?

Nice site, makes me want to go find some Auroras.

- James

My grandfather and father and uncles all talk of great trips in the day for these beautiful fish I never got the chance , and when TJ asked for pictures I remember some old ones my dad would show , my mother has them or they went into the past , but I remember tales of full stringers and trout that tasted even better than they looked , sorry TJ I didnt turn up any . So I have allways had a place in my heart for these fish and wanted my son and I to share what my grandfather and his had . When I found out these fish were no longer available I did lots of looking around to find out what went wrong , as im sure TJ has , and that has led him to create this site honoring this fish . for all the science on these fish see here .. hope this helps King ...http://www.brooktrout.ca/aurora-trout.pdf . Again thanks TJ for giveing these fish a place on the net ... B

Edited by capt bruce

MNR's reply to limits.

Mr. Quesnel,

Thank you for query. Further to _______________ response to your e-mail, and to provide further clarification, the daily catch and possession limits for Aurora Trout are Ontario Sport Fishing Licence quota of one (1), and Ontario Conservation Licence quota of zero (0). As cited in the 2010 Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary, this is shown as S-1 & C-0 (i.e.: not C-2 as noted in error in Lisa's response).

Further to your query, per Section 16 of the Ontario Fishery Regulations (OFR's), 2007, no person who is fishing under a sport fishing licence or a conservation fishing licence shall catch and retain in any one day, or possess, fish of a species set out in column 2 of Part 1 of Schedule 3 from the waters set out in column 1,

(a) in an amount that exceeds the sport fishing licence quota or of a size that does not comply with the size limit set out in column 3; or (b) in an amount that exceeds the conservation fishing licence quota or of a size that does not comply with the size limit set out in column 4. To clarify, for example, if a person is in possession of a single Aurora Trout, they may not catch and retain, or possess another/more, until such time as they've disposed (i.e.: eaten) of the the Aurora Trout or given it to another person for their possession, provided this other person wasn't in possession of a single Aurora Trout already.

Further, per section 17 of the OFR's, no person shall possess more fish of a species set out in column 1 of Part 2 of Schedule 3 from the waters of all zones combined than the possession limit set out in column 2. Again to clarify, and further to the previous note, no person, including unlicenced individuals, at any time, may exceed the provincial possession limit of one (1) Aurora trout. Of course, those persons angling under the authority of an Ontario Conservation Licence are still relegated to a zero (0) quota by virtue of their licencing decision to possess such a licence. You may find the Ontario Fishery Regulations, 2007 on line at : www.laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showtdm/cr/SOR-2007-237. I trust that this answers your questions

A clarification:

Mr. Quesnel,

To answer your question, if a person is angling for Aurora Trout via an Ontario sport fishing licence/tag, they may catch and release an unlimited number of Aurora Trout, even after they've retained their single allowable Aurora Trout. Similarly, if an angler is fishing for Aurora Trout via an Ontario conservation fishing licence/tag, they may catch and release an unlimited number of Aurora Trout.

Of note though, anglers may not fish up or cull any retained Aurora trout in any day, or at at any point thereafter, until such time as they've voided themselves of any previously retained trout. For example, a person angling under an Ontario sport fishing licence/tag may catch and retain a single Aurora Trout one day and continue to catch and release Aurora Trout for the remainder of the day. The following day, unless the retained Aurora Trout has been consumed or given away to another person for their possession for example, the angler may only catch and release Aurora Trout. To rephrase, an angler cannot retain any more Aurora Trout allowable (i.e.: one (1) on an Ontario sport fishing licence/tag), until such time as they void themselves of the previously retained Aurora Trout.

Again, I trust that this answers your question.