400 W Inverter from Can Tire

Fishnwire

I bought the 400 Watt inverter from Canadian Tire a couple weeks back when it was on sale. I hook it directly to a 12 volt marine battery at camp. The problem I'm having is that when I plug my lap-top in (About 75 watts, no more than 100) it trips the inverter. There's a green light on the laptop's power supply (in line on the cord) that comes on for a half a second or so and then goes out. The fan on the inverter keeps running and doesn't indicate that it is tripped on the little LED display, but I have to turn it off and then on again if I want to work with a different peice of equipment.

-

First of all, I'm a licenced electrician, so I'm fairly certain I've got it hooked up right and I still remember Ohm's law from trade school...the math holds up, I'm not exceeding the device's output rating, of this I am sure.

-

The manual indicated that the inverter will not supply a load if that load's neutral and ground are internaly connected. I checked the laptop with an ohmeter and it seems OK, but perhaps while energized there is an internal connection. I can't imagine why this would be the case, but unless the inverter is faulty, I can't think of any other explanation.

-

Anyone have any experience with one of these? Should I bother returning it, or is that as good as it gets? Any input would be appreciated.

-

Thanks folks.

if there isn't a good connection to the battery or if the battery is below 10v it will do that too

otherwise I would say there is something wrong with the inverter

that's the only things that have tripped mine

It sounds like a low voltage situation or bad unit as stated.

I have the 300 watt one and it works my laptop, electric shaver, camera and video camera battery chargers. In fact I can do it all at the same time. :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

I have another larger one I picked up at a garage sale that I will use if I ever build my cabin. :rolleyes: It's an unused 1750 watt job that I picked up for $100. :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Thanks guys. I know my input voltage is good, so I guess I'll return the unit and try another.

I have a Coleman 400 watt unit and it's great....my son got a cheap on from somewhere and tried to use it last year on a trip so they could use the lap top in the car...it started to smoke real bad and he ended up throwing it out window as while they were traveling on the interstate.

Most if not all of the inverters sold at CTC are junk, bought a couple, had to keep returning them, a 100watt MSW inverter wouldn't even power a 9 watt bulb. I picked up a 300W GP inverter for $150, pure sine wave, 2 year no questions asked warranty, MSW inverters are not that great for electronics.