SOUTHERN PIKE vs northern pike

aplumma

Thanks though for the biology lesson. What we called a Bowfin in Louisiana was always identified to me as a "shoepic" or "snakehead" by my elders. Back then we worried more about how to cook a fish than how to classify one and it appears it has allowed my ignorance to show in public here. Art

No problem. I'm kinda in to fish biology :whistling:

There are certainly alot of local colloquial names for alot of different fish species. Burbot for example, can be called ling, or ling-cod, or cusk, depending on where you are. I've heard bowfin called dogfish. Where I live now (Vermont), people call brook trout simply "natives" and if you say brookie to them, they don't know what you mean! They also call lake trout "togue". It's different everywhere you go! But the point I often try to make to people when I give presentations on fisheries biology is that when you have two fish that look similar with similar shapes and features, it doesn't always mean they are the same or even related, outside of just being fish!

I hear you on the native versus invasive though. One man's garbage ... as the saying goes. Look at rainbows, steelhead and brown trout. All non-natives to eastern North America, and all of North America in the case of brown trout. But we all love to fish for them. Smallies were spread by train car in the early 1900's right across northern Ontario. Who's to say what's right and wrong any more. Man has spread everything pretty much everywhere.

There are some I don't think I want in my waters any time soon though, and that includes snakehead and Asian carp!

No I agree with you their the Asian Carp and the Snakehead would not be my first choice for fish I want to be in my waters. However since the window for eradication has pasted I put the best spin I can on them and I can tell you those puppies fight like few freshwater fish ever have. I was amazed at the battle it took getting the fish in it was both visual jumping in the air and a full heads on tug of war for 7 minutes. I was fishing with a 7ft medium heavy rod, shimano core reel and 20 lb power pro so their was a lot of pressure on him to come up and get released. The pattern to fish is very similar to fishing for pike in the weeds using lures that are in the top 1 ft of the water column. Once they see it hold on they will blow up the bait multiple times till they have it and then lock jaw occurs even after you get them in the boat. If you want to you can even keep him around for the rest of the day if you keep him moist he has primitive lungs that allow him to gulp air in low oxygen conditions. Kind of like fishin with your drunk buddy after he passes out on yaa.

Art

Guest gbfisher

IMG_0725.jpg

That looks like a lot of fun... I don't eat carp so I'd feel bad killing it and not eating it.

I'd love to try this with someone who's going to eat the fish afterward lol.

They've opened up all the lakes for Bow fishing now. :good:

It's only a matter of time until we see the Asian carp show up. With a fish that can weigh up to 75 lbs or more.. :o ..it'll be a ton of fun shooting them I can tell ya. :D Population control hasnt been something everyone understands or agrees with.