Awesome day for slab crappie....at last.

limeyangler

Hi all,

well if you were following my exploits over the winter and after ice out you'd know I put in a lot of time and effort trying to locate the crappie on a lake I fish regularly. Well, not that I'm usually a quitter....but I threw in the towel last month knowing that when the water warmed up a bit, they would be fairly easy to locate....and true to form there they were.

The water has warmed up remarkably fast here after a long spell of relatively cold water temps, within a week the temps on the lakes around here have gone up at least 10 degrees F.

It was also Lew's birthday, so a day of good fishing could not have been timed better, especially since there were gonna be guests at his house for a big fish fry.

Anyway, they were in very shallow, obviously spawn areas, but whilst cleaning the fish it was clear the spawn was definitely pretty much done.

Slip bobber set at 1 or 2 FOW was the most productive. we did use beetlespins to locate them at first, but after that ...bobbers all the way.

We ran out of minnows pretty quick, but small tubes, gulp minnows and twister tails all worked both on the bobber and jigged.

We caught incidental walleye and pike too. Al got the best walleye at 18" and I got a nice 37" Pike. A much larger pike came up under a crappie I was reeling in and another about the size I landed snapped me off after a long battle, only got one on film as the rain somewhat stopped filming for long periods yesterday.

We also threw some topwater poppers for 10 minutes, I got a 17" smb first cast, but the camera card was full when i went to film...lol...deleting stuff to make room for more is difficult...what to keep...what to throw away?...time to get another 32GB micro sd card.

Anyway, we kept 24 or so large crappie...threw lots back, caught lots of different species, got wet, laughed and joked as per usual, saw a small bird hitchhiking on an eagles back...way cool...and then had a bunch of folks over at Lew's for a fishfry and birthday cake...awesome day out.

Here's the pics and vids........

CRAPPIE DAY ON THE WATER...terrible pun i know

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

WAS RAINING LOTS...BUT WHO CARES WHEN THE FISHING IS GOOD!

IMG_1325.jpg

GOT SOME NICE PIKE TOO

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

PERFECT STRINGER FOR A BIRTHDAY BASH FISH FRY

IMG_1328.jpg

TOOK AN HOUR AND A HALF TO CLEAN 'EM ALL...BUT NONE WASTED AND MUCH APPRECIATED BY ALL.

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

Great job Simon and friends. That video clip is a lot of fun to watch. You work hard enough at finding your fish that you deserve every one of them that you boat. And what a spectacular crappie stringer! Lew is the same age as I am but the bugger must be taking formaldehyde injections...looks no more than 45 to me. Thanks for posting...taking the time to do that for us Simon. Have a great day!

Nice job man!

Wow, if the spawn is pretty much over for you all the way up north, the Kawartha's and Southern Ont lakes must have been done for a long time!

For crappie fishing, you shouldn't need to use minnows. They are much more fun with a jig :)

Guest Johnny Bass

Great vid!! You hit the mother load for crappies! Its been awhile I targeted crappies. Every year I say I will go but never end up doing so. This year finally went and caught nothing but bluegills! You have some amazing multi species fishing up there!

Thanks for all the replies guys,

It certainly was satisfying since i put a lot of time in trying to find them in that lake for since the last spawn......it was also very informative as i now know last year was no fluke, let the water hit 60 degrees and game on. I just need to work out wher they all go in the winter and after the spawn, they are definitely in there, just never find any concentrations like that after the spawn until the next spawn...weird and very frustrating.

dude nice job you found yourself a honeyhole. gotta love the days when your float wont float. nice that no other boats are around trying to steal your fish either, you got em all to yourselves

LOL...i'm gonna use that saying about the float not floating, they are called floats in England but ive got used to saying 'bobber' now....i also noticed how many times i said 'eh' in that clip...definitely re-discovering my Canadian heritage.

Great job Simon and friends. That video clip is a lot of fun to watch. You work hard enough at finding your fish that you deserve every one of them that you boat. And what a spectacular crappie stringer! Lew is the same age as I am but the bugger must be taking formaldehyde injections...looks no more than 45 to me. Thanks for posting...taking the time to do that for us Simon. Have a great day!

LOL.....Roy i was just teasing Lew...he's actually 46, he just wasn't biting...unlike the crappie yesterday.

Nice job man!

Wow, if the spawn is pretty much over for you all the way up north, the Kawartha's and Southern Ont lakes must have been done for a long time!

For crappie fishing, you shouldn't need to use minnows. They are much more fun with a jig :)

Yup, micro jigs worked good...as did gulp, but i have to say the minnows were snapped up before the bobber even had the chance to sit upright.

Great vid!! You hit the mother load for crappies! Its been awhile I targeted crappies. Every year I say I will go but never end up doing so. This year finally went and caught nothing but bluegills! You have some amazing multi species fishing up there!

They certainly are fun.....and the average size in this lake is ridicoulous...they are all around 12 inches to 14 inches it seems.