fresh water shark attack?

addymark

last weekend I just got back from fishing and a new neighbor approached my dad and I at the dock and said he had a good fishing story for us. His wife was on the dock and she put her feet in the water to cool off and within seconds of entering the water something bit her foot. She pulled out of the water with a large gash on the bottom and numerous "needle like teeth embedded on the dorsal aspect of her foot".

Buddy was loving the story and thought it was hilarious, his wife was in the boat and wasn't thrilled at all.

Growing up I've heard of stories of small dogs being taken by muskie, and I took those with a grain of salt. However, I have never heard of a person getting bit before.

Now my girlfriend won't swim in the lake anymore, but when muskie season opens I know which dock I'm going target.

There was a story in Britain a few years ago where a guy out in a boat in Scotland was running his had through the surface of the water when something bit him. He ended up losing a finger and it was hypothesized that it was a big pike that did it.

Certainly not out of the questions at all, I believe a muskie could do something like that.

I seem to remember a news clip from a few years back about a kid that was bit by a muskie somewhere in the Kawarthas. Can't remember any details of the story for certain, but I think it was one quick bite and the fish was gone. The kid had a mark, but no serious damage.

I seem to remember a news clip from a few years back about a kid that was bit by a muskie somewhere in the Kawarthas. Can't remember any details of the story for certain, but I think it was one quick bite and the fish was gone. The kid had a mark, but no serious damage.

Yep, I remember that one too.

I seem to remember he was sitting on the dock with his feet dangling in the water and got nibbled on.

Was it the Kawartha's or Nipissing?

I remember that OOD from the 80's, guy was tubing with his daughter when a big muskie came up and bit her ankle. The one thing I remember is that the guy was a little annoyed with the half dozen guys who were knocking on his door wanting him to point the spot out on a map :D

I remember hearing about someone getting bit by a muskie on Julien Lake a few years back.

last weekend I just got back from fishing and a new neighbor approached my dad and I at the dock and said he had a good fishing story for us. His wife was on the dock and she put her feet in the water to cool off and within seconds of entering the water something bit her foot. She pulled out of the water with a large gash on the bottom and numerous "needle like teeth embedded on the dorsal aspect of her foot".

Buddy was loving the story and thought it was hilarious, his wife was in the boat and wasn't thrilled at all.

Growing up I've heard of stories of small dogs being taken by muskie, and I took those with a grain of salt. However, I have never heard of a person getting bit before.

Now my girlfriend won't swim in the lake anymore, but when muskie season opens I know which dock I'm going target.

Was she wearing toe-nail polish?

What color?

:clapping:

In West Virginia about ten years ago when I was writing for the newspaper there, we had some kids playing in a creek and a muskie attacked them. Was going crazy in the water, something wrong with it. The adult with them ended up beating muskie over the head with a board. I don't know why it didn't just swim away, but definitely happened.

Those are tiger muskie though (pike muskie cross), but close enough to what is here.

Edited by Wask

Dodgeville, WI

The story involving Dan Droessler of Platteville, Wisconsin and a

hungry tiger muskie is one right out of the "Can you believe it?" file.

Dan was dangling his foot over the side of his canoe on Twin Valley

Lake when a 36-inch muskie decided it was time for a snack.

The bite, naturally, startled Dan, who jerked his foot (and the fish)

out of the water and into the canoe.

But the story doesn't end there. Sporting 60 new stitches in his foot,

Dan agreed to be interviewed by a local reporter. He told the writer he

kept the fish and planned to have his unusual trophy mounted.

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources stepped in, however,

confiscating the fish with the explanation that it wasn't caught on

hook-and-line and that it didn't meet the 40-inch minimum length limit.

Droessler pled his case, though, and was allowed to keep the fish after

paying a $10.55 special permit fee.

This isn't the first time a muskie has chomped a human. Back in 1995, a

14-year-old Minnesota boy, swimming at a public beach on Lake Rebecca,

was bitten on the right hand and wrist. He was leaving the water during

a routine safety break called by lifeguards when the fish attacked.

The 38-inch fish was netted by fisheries personnel and relocated to

another part of the lake.

Just consider a fishes eyesight and thinking ability? If they could see all that well and think clearly a lot of us that use lures only would be in trouble? Re-action strikes, it appears to be something alive and as the top rung of the food chain they try and eat it?

... just to add to that, I've kept some cool predatory fish that really take interest to pretty much anything ddangling in the water just at the surface. Conditioned? Quite sure of it, however they're all animals.

Count your toes!

I don't think anyone should be surprised to hear about a musky latching onto a foot or hand dangling in the water. Their a very aggressive fish that will hit any sized bait they see and think nothing of grabbing a bait trolled very close to a spinning prop.

Pickeral fishermen report all the time about muskies coming right up to the boat to grab a fish off the stringer.

They have row after row of teeth that are as sharp as needles and if they latch onto your foot and you pull it back chances are your gonna have some nasty cuts to deal with.

I hand or foot dangling in the water is just a tasty little treat for a big slimer looking for a snack :lol:

I've had them grab and shake the front mount trolling motor while walleye fish'in in the Kawarthas

I had that happen to me late summer last year. fishing for bass, shook the whole boat. thought i hit a log, when I look down there was a very large fish. This is when I started to buy muskie tackle

the only muskie I ever caught was when I was a kid and we new that this muskie was living under this dock in like 3 feet of water was small only like 30" it was quite aggressive we weren't allowed to put are feet in the water since that spot was a prime bass spot and the muskie liked toes so one time I was fishing there with a worm and float and remember I was only 8 years old at the time I tossed out the worm and a get I bite I start reeling in the bugger and the muskie out of no were just slams the fish and runs off for a good 20 yards and fought for a few and it came in, everyone at the camp was surprised.

1stmuskie.jpg

If it swims, or in this case, is perceived as swimming, it's considered food. Simple as that.

HH

well I hope thats the case for when I go pike fishing this weekend.. maybe I'd have better luck if all fish thought this way haha.. either that or I'll start tying on Chipmunks and squirells