auto stop for big jon downrigger

Charlie, I've had Big Jons since 75. I've never had auto stops. I looked for something years ago and gave up. One guy told me he bought some auto stops and had nothing but trouble, unless they have made something better. The only thing I do now is set the drag on the rigger just so it barely lifts the ball. When it gets to the top and if you can't get to it in time, the drag slips, plus if you get your ball stuck on the bottom, you don't lose it. Sounds a little red neck but that's what I do.

I use to fish with auto-stops on the charter boat and they were crap,it's like 50/50 chance the rigger will auto stop.It's a crappy design a plastic tube has to hit a small micro switch to stop the rigger, problem is the tube gets stuck on the front pulley and never makes it to the switch or the tube never has enough force to engage the little switch.They worked great for about 2 trips then they became a pain in bum and were disconected quickly.The switch would also stick and when you went to put the rigger down .

Edited by canadadude

Charlie, I've had Big Jons since 75. I've never had auto stops. I looked for something years ago and gave up. One guy told me he bought some auto stops and had nothing but trouble, unless they have made something better. The only thing I do now is set the drag on the rigger just so it barely lifts the ball. When it gets to the top and if you can't get to it in time, the drag slips, plus if you get your ball stuck on the bottom, you don't lose it. Sounds a little red neck but that's what I do.

This is a neat idea, I will try this on my big jons.

Thanks.

Then the breaker pops, so if you can't get it back down reset the breaker beside the up/down switch

The other problem is you can snap cannonballs off with this method in rough seas, or snap the front pulley off the rod, it's tough on the downrigger running the ball into the top pulley

Edited by canadadude