Honest, reasonable marine mechanic in GTA?

siwash

Hi folks,

Would like a recommendation to a good, honest marine mechanic in the GTA. Just bought a boat and need to have the engine looked at. I live near BPS but don't mind driving a little further if need be.

Seller says it bogs down if trying to rev the engine in gear. Doesn't seem to have the power to take off. Have no idea what the problem is as I am not mechanically inclined.

Thanks!

Personally I hope you only paid for the value of the boat and are hoping you might get away with a cheap fix and score a motor out of the deal. You could be looking at a complete rebuild (if it is worth it) or maybe just a simple carb adjustment. A compression test would at least give you an idea where the problem may lie. Canadian tire sells compression testing gauges fairly cheap, well worth the investment in my eyes, that way you could test before buying. Yes I did learn the hard way when I bought my first boat that the seller stated had a "minor" stalling issue!

I can't help you with a mechanic in the area, but I do wish you a simple fix! Good luck and hopefully others can recommend one.

Personally I hope you only paid for the value of the boat and are hoping you might get away with a cheap fix and score a motor out of the deal. You could be looking at a complete rebuild (if it is worth it) or maybe just a simple carb adjustment. A compression test would at least give you an idea where the problem may lie. Canadian tire sells compression testing gauges fairly cheap, well worth the investment in my eyes, that way you could test before buying. Yes I did learn the hard way when I bought my first boat that the seller stated had a "minor" stalling issue!

I can't help you with a mechanic in the area, but I do wish you a simple fix! Good luck and hopefully others can recommend one.

I got it for a very good price.

It's not the mechanics that you have to watch out for, most of them get paid by the hour and most of them take pride in what they do. A marine mechanic gets paid about $25.00 an hour (if he is lucky) and gets no comission on parts and supplies. The shops charge you upwards of $85.00 an hour plus make huge margins on parts and supplies. I have done jobs on equipment where I thought an honest bill would be $50.00 and watched the customer pay out well in excess of $150.00. and no, I don't work there anymore.

Your best bet is to find a qualified licensed mechanic that has a good reputation and works out of his own shop. If he doesn't have a sign up but is always busy then you know you are in the right place. That is the guy who might not be able to fix it for you TODAY but when he does fix it, you will get a fair deal at a reasonable price.

If you are mounting it on the gunwale make sure to put a backing plate underneath. See if you can avoid putting them at the back corner.

I sent it to Klaus yesterday - in Etobicoke.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Regards

Discount? I bought a boat off them in the 90'.

lets just say I will NEVER go near that place again.

One story I will share: I got stuck on Nippissing in at 830 pm. while walleye fishing two weeks after i bought it. Was charged $300+ by OPP (tow to shore) and a ruined weekend.. we didn't get back to shore until 4 am. Had to to us to North Bay and we were staying at Sunset..

Reason? The mechanic "accidentally" cut/damaged some wires when installing the controls for the kicker..

You'd think he would compensate me for a lost weekend eh? We had rented a nice cottage and spent toms of money.. boat wasn't fixed for another week... we had to rent a boat the rest of the weekend. I should have taken them to court.

I better stop now cause my blood still boils

There needs to be more accountability in that industry in general

Edited by swordfish