Any plumbers/handymen on board

Wondering if anybody knows how to make this repair,I did not remove the hose of the outside faucet this past winter and of course the tube part split found this out when I went in the basement dumb :asshat:

Anyways this faucet is connected to PEX and I am guessing you need special tools to remove this fitting any advice on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Wondering if anybody knows how to make this repair,I did not remove the hose of the outside faucet this past winter and of course the tube part split found this out when I went in the basement dumb asshat.gif

Anyways this faucet is connected to PEX and I am guessing you need special tools to remove this fitting any advice on how to fix this would be appreciated.

You will need to replace it.Cut the pex loose and pull the faucet out.You may need to solder a barb fitting into the faucet and re-pex it back.This takes a special ring and crimpers,do not try to use a hose clamp.If the burst area is accessable and not split badly ,I have seen homeowners hose clamp a piece of rubber over the split with mixed results.Good luck.

Joe

Edited by Daplumma

You will need to replace it.Cut the pex loose and pull the faucet out.You may need to solder a barb fitting into the faucet and re-pex it back.This takes a special ring and crimpers,do not try to use a hose clamp.If the burst area is accessable and not split badly ,I have seen homeowners hose clamp a piece of rubber over the split with mixed results.Good luck.

Joe

I was kinda of hoping this faucet would just screw out as there is nut there, the tube split just ahead of the nut.pipe.jpg

I have changed a lot of these in the condos around here. As you said owners leave the hose on over teh winter and the water freezes which in turn bursts the pipe.

Shut water off before proceeding any further.

Similar as Joe had mentioned, cut the PEX off at the fitting, as close to the barb as possible.

Do not reuse the portion of PEX that already has the fitting in it.

Take pipe cutter and cut the frost free between the burst and wall. This will make it easier to pull out through the wall and exterior (siding, brick, board&baton, etc).

Take both pieces of Frost free to Home Hardware and get the next one longer. You want to go longer so you don't force the PEX to have strain when re-installed.

Purchase a fitting called a "Shark bite", you can get this with a female IPS to thread on to the new Frost free.moz-screenshot-3.png Be sure to apply Teflon tape to threads.

Install new Frost free through wall, secure, install "shark bite" cut PEX to proper length and insert into other end of shark bite.

link to Shark bite

Cheers, Ron...

Those connectors look nothing like what they use down here.We dont see pex here much after the qest fiasco.No plumber will install that stuff for fear of the lawsuits.I hope the pex holds up better.The sharbite stuff is great,but I have reservations about putting it behind a wall.You also have to have the correct shark bit configuration.FIP to sharbite with a MIP faucet would be ideal.Make sure you follow the manufactorers instructions and use the insert for plastic pipe.If you get stuck post some pics,Ron or Art or I can get you thru it.

Joe

Art is the ugly smart one,I am the handsome dumb one.You may want to ask Art about this one.

Joe

I actually am the product of superior genetics in my family... That one time affair my mother had with the mailman however did give me an older brother.

Art