Lake Trout Fishing - Tips and Pointers for Newbie?

wask

So I am primarily a bass fisherman who does some trout fishing when the bass season is closed and am the reigning champion when it comes to "Word Pickerel Fisherman Ever".

So, I was thinking of hitting one of the deep lakes in the Kawartha Highlands and trying to catch some Lake Trout on Monday since I have the day off...

I read that there is a deep three way rig that people use to troll around 50 feet... is that the right idea?

6lb. test and a medium rod?

Does that make sense?

Any help or direction would be appreciated.. as always...

Thanks,

Wask

So I am primarily a bass fisherman who does some trout fishing when the bass season is closed and am the reigning champion when it comes to "Word Pickerel Fisherman Ever".

So, I was thinking of hitting one of the deep lakes in the Kawartha Highlands and trying to catch some Lake Trout on Monday since I have the day off...

I read that there is a deep three way rig that people use to troll around 50 feet... is that the right idea?

6lb. test and a medium rod?

Does that make sense?

Any help or direction would be appreciated.. as always...

Thanks,

Wask

i would recomend braid if your going to be jigging deep water mono will stretch to much

When I used to fish lakers in Lake Ontario, back in the days before braid, we used to troll with blue and silver Cleos with tons of line out. This was for catching them behind the Wave pool, not too deep, 20-30'

For really deep, use a thin line, (read: braid) and a 3 way swivel. Lure on one leg, lead weight on the other. The thicker mono would stop the rig from dropping as deep because of resistance to the water.

Try twister tails in 25' of water. Better spots have the deepest water in the lake close by.

Trolling with a depth finder is good for locating spots, which you can zero in on with the jig.

The water is starting to warm up fast, so it could be a tough bite.

Good Luck