Big Gull Lake

Hey guys and gals I was wonderin if any of you have fished the lake before? if so what is the lake like? I have been on a few of the lakes close to it. aka Mazina, Skootamata, Sheldrake, Kash, but not big gull, was wondering if any one can give me any advice etc! thanks!

My advice here will be more valuable to you then catching a fish. I spent 4 days fishing that lake 3 years ago, and has some really interesting structure. It was my first and only experience on the lake, so I bought a map aboard to navigate around. I won't mention the publisher, but there are rocks in so many places that wasn't printed. The lake is a mine field of rocks, and they aren't marked out there. They are only marked if you see them above the surface. We trolled after dark for pickerel. That wasn't fun. Just be careful. The locals on the lake say the very east side of the lake produces the most pickerel. We couldn't get the lakers to bite at all, but there are some, not many. Good luck!

it's big water and can be a tough bite until you learn it....as mentioned it is a rocky lake, mostly very deep lake but there are shallow areas where you need to be careful....also a lot of islands with excellent fishing around them....find a back bay (a few have feeder creeks)and you're set for largies and pike....smallies and eyes are pretty much everywhere and eyes are tight to bottom in my experience

tolling/back trolling bottom bouncers with a rapala or worm harness work well....find structure and drag bottom with a jig...

for musky and pike my "go to" best producer is a gold bladed bucktail....I think smallies and walleyes make up the bulk of the forage for the toothy guys so that's my preferred colours

there are ling in there as well, only ever seen caught through the ice....heard rumours of lakers and whities but never seen any myself, would be a great lake to downrig I would think but I"m not much of an expert on that

there are a few nearby little lakes that have solid laker fishing, if you can convince a local to let ya know where they are...

I'll be there this weekend for a week. Where are you going on the lake? I've been going there for 6 years. We stay at Kirk Kove Cottages. We target Walleye, all we want is a fish fry and a good time. This year we are having a small Walleye Derby in our group of 16 guys. Great lake, 85% crown land, not many cottages.. Like mentioned above, watch the rocks. You have to work for your Walleye. I like this lake because it's a challenge with Lots of structure. If you go to there site, there is a few pictures of us in there photo gallery. May see you there, I can fill you in on a few spots. We just drift fish, transom elec. is almost a must when you lose your drift. Tackle, Jigs or small hook with leader barrel swivel and weight. Worms are all we use.

http://www.kirkkovecottages.com/images/guest_gallery/images/68.jpg

http://www.kirkkovecottages.com/images/guest_gallery/images/70.jpg

http://www.kirkkovecottages.com/index.htm

awesome thanks for the reports guys I know a few locals up there as I used to live up In Cloyne just NE of there back in the day.. and well have kept in touch, I will be staying at my friends cottage hes not much of a fisherman but I'll see if I can convince him to go.. if not I'll be out there in my 14'er with 9.9/trolling motor..

I'll be either goin for pike or walleye.. like I said I used to live up there and know how to pike fish.. but walleye fishing up there is alot different then the walleye fishing here on Lake scugog.. the lakes are much deeper up there.

thanks again !