Lifejackets to be mandatory in Canada/Ontario?

cram

I really hope you aren't blaming the park for your nephews busted elbow, or his buddies concussion.

........I also didn't realize you needed someone to TELL you to wear safety protection.. I did all those stupid things as well in my younger years (skateboarding, amateur BMX racing, motocross, etc) and did I get hurt? You bet your ass I did... Did you see my parents blame anyone for it? Of course not, it's called taking responsibility for yourself and your own actions.

No one will buy that Bill....it's too sensible.

Dumb, just plain dumb!! A few boneheads ruin it for everyone, just like always!!!! Rule of thumb, kids in my boat always wear their pfd's and they have to wear them when they are on the dock even when fishing for panfish. Adults are encouraged to do so. I always wear my inflatable that I picked up at the fishing/boating show. No it is not the most comfortable thing but it beats wearing a full sized pfd.

Common sense doesn't prevail any more. We all have to have our hands held by big brother these days. I am starting to get tired of being told what to do all the time by the powers that be. People have to start taking responsibility for their own actions. If you screw up, it's your own fault and problem, why should I get punished???

I will echo the sentiments that being forced into something that seems obvious or should be a choice is frustrating and does little to resepect priorities amoung law makers.

But honestly, aside from the huge cost associated with the process, is wearing a pfd while running (this is my interpertation) all that bad? I am guilty of not wearing one and have this year made an effort to change this. Personal choice but I don't want to be in the obits when it could be prevented easily.

While trolling/fishing is another story though

Bleeding hearts wanting to save us from ourselves.

You can't regulate stupid.

We need a few more safety laws.

I like the one where kids under 16 must wear a helmet while riding a bicycle. How many kids do you see without them. Do you realize what it costs to make a law? Millions of tax dollars. And millions of private dollars to update law books.

To just not bother enforcing it......

Our city just built a skateboard park. Its made of concrete steps and steel pipe rails for kids to do dumb tricks on.

Know why they made it...cause the kids whined till they got it.

Wanna know the regulations for helmets and proper gear in that park?

NONE...the city said it would always be open and if they made a helmet rule they would have to enforce it so they decided they they would just put up a sign recomending it.

Last week my nephew was there and fell and smashed his elbow. 5 hours of surgery to pick the bone fragments out and at 15 years old he will never straighten his arm again.

2 days later his friend ends up with a concussion at the same park. At least they had somebody to talk with in the hospital.

And you want to make a law ordering me to wear a life jacket?

Hands up...who wants to pay for this new law

This is funny,is the Sault council really that stupid, Kids and teenagers need to have regulations or accidents like this are inevidable.Kids beleive there indestructable and common sense is a trait that most us learn as we approach adulthood to expect kids and teenagers to use the same common sense as most adults shows absolutly no common sense at all

Ya...no If your stupid enough to not know how to swim then get a jacket on. If you can swim and well your not flying through the water at 50mph then your fine...honestly. I have my jacket close and with the heat all summer I'm not waring a bigger life jacket nor am I spending $150+ on a cute little life coat that is nice to ware.

Again, another impossible law to enforce, dont drink and boat, have safety gear with you and learn how to drive. Other than that I think we are safe on the water.

I really hope you aren't blaming the park for your nephews busted elbow, or his buddies concussion.

........I also didn't realize you needed someone to TELL you to wear safety protection.. I did all those stupid things as well in my younger years (skateboarding, amateur BMX racing, motocross, etc) and did I get hurt? You bet your ass I did... Did you see my parents blame anyone for it? Of course not, it's called taking responsibility for yourself and your own actions.

I'm blaming the city for constructing a hazzard for one thing.

I'm also saying that the safety laws don't make any sense.

Why spend all that money on a helmet law if it isn't going to be enforced.

Why make a law stopping one hazzard and the next day create another.

How bout we license BBQ's...a one week course, or just do it online and swear you did it all on your own.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/100526/canada/canada_toronto_bbq_explodes_lid984

This is funny,is the Sault council really that stupid, Kids and teenagers need to have regulations or accidents like this are inevidable.Kids beleive there indestructable and common sense is a trait that most us learn as we approach adulthood to expect kids and teenagers to use the same common sense as most adults shows absolutly no common sense at all

Of course the Sault council is that stupid.

They are funding a trade trip to Italy when half the town is Italian and already knows and deals with all the other businesses in Italy and Europe is going bankrupt anyway so why deal with them.

I'm blaming the city for constructing a hazzard for one thing.

I'm also saying that the safety laws don't make any sense.

Why spend all that money on a helmet law if it isn't going to be enforced.

Why make a law stopping one hazzard and the next day create another.

How bout we license BBQ's...a one week course, or just do it online and swear you did it all on your own.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/100526/canada/canada_toronto_bbq_explodes_lid984

We should probably demolish baseball fields, hockey rinks and walking paths.... They are all potential hazards as well.

I'm sorry your nephew got hurt, but it was nobodies fault but his own. Kids get hurt, it's a apart of growing up.

Laws are there to protect you... If you aren't smart enough to abide by them, without the fear of getting caught I really don't know what to tell you. I don't need a law to tell me to wear a helmet, do you? I guess you really can't teach common sense....too bad.

Edited by BillM

Two words, INSURANCE COMPANIES!!!!

Insurance has the Government in it's back pocket.

Is this the insurance company fault. NO!!

It is are own fault for sitting around and not lobbing the govn't against big corporation's.

Most Canadians have some type of life insurance.

Ether from work or personal.

When alive the govn't and insurance companies make money

from you!.

We should probably demolish baseball fields, hockey rinks and walking paths.... They are all potential hazards as well.

I'm sorry your nephew got hurt, but it was nobodies fault but his own. Kids get hurt, it's a apart of growing up.

Laws are there to protect you... If you aren't smart enough to abide by them, without the fear of getting caught I really don't know what to tell you. I don't need a law to tell me to wear a helmet, do you? I guess you really can't teach common sense....too bad.

But we had an old train engine at the park that kids played on for years. It is now fenced off so nobody gets hurt on it.

I'm just saying, think about the laws you make first.

Possibly drinking water should be regulated.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/100525/canada/consumer_con_bottled_bacteria_1

ummm, YES!!! bottled water should have way more regulation around it...it's really surprising where bottled water actually comes from...

See, they were busy making it illegal to smoke in a car with somebody under 18 present instead.

I like the part where an 18yo was busted for smoking with a 16yo present and while the cop was writing the ticket the 16yo lit up and it was perfectly legal.

But lets spend a few mil making it law that you have to wear a life jacket when the smarter people already do.

Let the dumb ones die...its better for the human race in the long run. :whistling::thumbsup_anim:

8 million registered boats in Canada.

Lets say 4 life jackets per boat.

Taxes on 32 million life jackets.

The cost of the law. Made a profit!

We already have to have them in the boat, so no extra profit except for you wear them out faster.

I was in a fishing tourney a few years back and the rule was you had to have a life-jacket on while under way. Once we stopped, the jackets came off and we'd start casting. I honestly didn't think it was that big a deal.

Not a big deal to do it....a very big deal that we are FORCED to do it.