Lifejackets to be mandatory in Canada/Ontario?

cram

Looks like we're in for yet another new law. Link below, also a video link on that page. Hopefully the gov't doesn't listen. I'm all for children wearing life jackets, or people putting them on when the weather gets nasty, but to be forced to wear one ALL the time.....yikes.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2010/05/21/life-jackets-boaters-law.html

Edited by cram

Personally, I don't agree with making them manditory. On a side note, last year my trip to kesagami overlapped Fantino's for 3 days. I must give him credit , he wore his police issue inflatable pfd even in the stagnant 30+ degree heat.

80 degs in the summer, I will be passing out and crashing into people boats and whatnot because of the extra heat from wearing that damn lifejacket

next they will make it mandatory to strap yourself into your bed at night so you can't fall out

Guest Johnny Bass

I personally dont like wearing lifejackets when I fish, because it restricts my movements(casting, jigging, ect...). But considering all the needless deaths we hear about every year? I am more for it(mandatory), than against it.

I hear they have new lifejackets they are making now that are alot more sleeker. Hopefully they do not impair your movement as the older bulkier ones.

The only thing is that I will have wierd tan lines. To go with my racoon eyes.lol

Edited by Johnny Bass

What our dear deluded government needs is some good old horse sense. Not another layer of bureaucratic bumpf. Take the money and spend it on real boater education and a real operator licensing program based on that education. Another pathetic set of rules that do not curb stupidity will not help other than waste more tax dollars.

WOW I can't believe some of these replies! Lifejackets ,PFD's should ALWAYS be worn while under power.I wiped out on a sea-doo and the teather ripped off without killing the engine and I was knocked out cold and ejected from the machine at 70mph (I know too fast) but if it wasn't for the lifejacket I would have been toast. Even at slower speeds you can be thrown from a boat, doesn't happen to often but it can happen. I wear mine when ever the boat is running,the article says they want to make it mandatory for moving boats not all the time . for the more $$$ for the goverment comment they won't make any $$$ if people just follow the rules they suck sometimes but they are not always just a money grab.It takes you 3-4 extra seconds to take it off when you stop or take off .I was out this weekend and hardly anyone wears them, I have been stopped twice for saftey equip checks and both times they have commented on the fact that we are wearing our life jackets .Just watch the commercial with the 2 young kids abbandoned in a boat cause their dad went overboard both kids are wearing them but dad drowned cause he wasn't .

On Sunday, a Ministry boat pulled up beside us and were just asking question, what we were fishing for etc. Did not ask for licences.

But I noticed he was wearing a friggin float suit :o I was sweating in a tank and shorts, so I asked if he was hot and he said ya but he had not brought his life jacket on board so had to wear the float suit. Wonder how long before he passed out from heat stroke :lol:

As for it being mandatory for the general public, I think that is just not right!!!

Joey

Guest Johnny Bass

I am not against it. Tourney anglers must wear one while moving

"urging legislation to mandate the wearing of life-jackets on moving vessels under six metres in length"

Ohhh ok. Its only for when in motion. Makes sense. I'd be even ok with when its really rough weather(over 3-4 foot waves) on a large body of water even when still. It wouldn't take much to knock a person off the boat. But I don't know many people that would fish in 4 foot waves.

As far as that comment about Fantino? Retire? I like Fantino!

As far as accidents from boating incidents? How many did we hear about on this board alone about fishermen drowning who weren't wearing their life jackets? One too many!!

Its bad enough you see these people on 12 foot aluminums in 3+ foot waves(heading out), they should at least be wearing life jackets.

dang funny Roy

I have never needed a blue pill nor have I tried them, but if what I hear is true I guess it would help for a while, but if it helps you for more then 4 hours. then see your doctor...so I hear

Ohhh ok. Its only for when in motion. Makes sense. I'd be even ok with when its really rough weather(over 3-4 foot waves) on a large body of water even when still. It wouldn't take much to knock a person off the boat. But I don't know many people that would fish in 4 foot waves.

As far as that comment about Fantino? Retire? I like Fantino!

As far as accidents from boating incidents? How many did we hear about on this board alone about fishermen drowning who weren't wearing their life jackets? One too many!!

Its bad enough you see these people on 12 foot aluminums in 3+ foot waves(heading out), they should at least be wearing life jackets.

We should all be permitted to make our own choices in life. That includes a personal floatation device. Anyone with a head on their shoulders will put a life jacket on in a dangerous situation.

There are accidents throughout the year and they are just that, accidents. If someone isn't drowning because they fell out of their boat without a PFD, they will die from heat exhaustion, hitting there head on a rock, hitting another boat at night without any lights, swimming off the back of you boat, etc.

I don't want to live in a police state and that is where we're heading if our friend has his way.

80 degs in the summer, I will be passing out and crashing into people boats and whatnot because of the extra heat from wearing that damn lifejacket

next they will make it mandatory to strap yourself into your bed at night so you can't fall out

as funny as it sounds terry,

there is a law that you must be strapped into your bed at all times.

if you are a team driving a truck, the driver that is off duty must wear the safety net while in the sleeper.

its the same fine as not wearing your seat belt while driving.

WOW I can't believe some of these replies! Lifejackets ,PFD's should ALWAYS be worn while under power.I wiped out on a sea-doo and the teather ripped off without killing the engine and I was knocked out cold and ejected from the machine at 70mph (I know too fast) but if it wasn't for the lifejacket I would have been toast.

How about people going 70 mph on their sea-doos need to wear a lifejacket, and those of us who are sane have the option to wear one when at risk (and not have to when not).

70 mph!!! You're nuts.

as funny as it sounds terry,

there is a law that you must be strapped into your bed at all times.

if you are a team driving a truck, the driver that is off duty must wear the safety net while in the sleeper.

its the same fine as not wearing your seat belt while driving.

so the old story

"last night I swerved to miss a child.....and fell out of bed"..can never come true anymore