Boat stalling out

Chugger

If you don't know what you are doing then leave those jets alone and get someone that knows what they are doing. You won't believe how many 2 strokes I have seen where someone has tweeked the carb and the engine was "running better than it ever had". They leaned it out and blew the piston and cylinder right out of it. Believe me it doesn't take long!

Hey Guys,

So my boat wants to stall out now and again at very low speed (think laker trolling speed). ANyone have any thoughts on this? I've got a new fuel line, they checked to ensure there was no fule leak anywhere, cleaned the carbs out.

I noticed yesterday when fiddiling with the vent on my gas tank (50 liter)that the tank looked someone caved in, I really loosened off the vent and it stalled out again. Could it be something with the fuel tank? Also, how loose should the vent be?

Thanks for anyhelp you can offer.

Cheers,

Graeme

my merc did the same thing took it to my guy and he changed the cap with the vent then changed the spark plugs he told me that with my merc and the thunderbolt ignition it can do that after trolling for a long time,

Just saying thats happen to me and what he did

If you don't know what you are doing then leave those jets alone and get someone that knows what they are doing. You won't believe how many 2 strokes I have seen where someone has tweeked the carb and the engine was "running better than it ever had". They leaned it out and blew the piston and cylinder right out of it. Believe me it doesn't take long!

Don't touch your carbs until you know for sure its not something else. It sounds like carbon build up to me. Run the can of seafoam thru a tank, and see what happens first. Slow trolling on a 40hp two stroke causes a lot of build up, trust me I know. I do the same with my 40. Once you've run the can of seafoam thru it, add an ounce or two to each tank from then on. Its also a stabilizer, gas line antifreeze, and fuel system cleaner. It will help, I guarantee it.

Don't mess with your jets until you've tried it, you could cause more serious problems.

S.

Run the tank down to a 1/4 tank, dump a can of Seafoam in it and run it almost dry.

I've run it in my truck, but I just unplugged the vacuum hose to the brake booster and ran it through the engine that way (straight)

hope you changed your oil after bill. seafoam (and products like it) will leak past your rings and thin out the oil, which could lead to bearing damage. not an issue with a 2 stroke outboards but 4 strokes (and obviously automobiles).