I was amazed at how many people fishing OOS bass

chris.brock

I spent a few minutes today looking at a floater. I had totally forgot that we ate corn last night. Seems that I don't even chew my corn.

ZING! :rofl2:

3 pages and this /\/\/\/\ was the best post. fishing any OOS fish shouldn't happen, just pick up an move on. I limit my time out on the water and what I use because of oos bass and how they defend the bed. So I go deep, hard and long and take it from there... :whistling:

I have been fishing now for about 2.5 years, I have yet to bump in to a CO. I generally fish rivers so maybe that's why. I don't know how the COs could patrol all Ontatio waters, there is more water in Ontario than landmass in most countries. That being said, it isn't working. Not only do some people have no respect for the rules (which are obviously designed to help fish and fisherman alike) I see people throwing fish in the water (10ft way) or throwing them at their buddies whilst they also toss ciggarettes and crap in the river. I feel to get robocop on them but what am I gonna do, punch them out and get charged for assualt? Usually you get a dumb response to boot, no remorse.

From reading other posts in this thread, it would seem the only solution would be to fund the CO program more or incorporate the CO with the local police even on a minor level. To be honest, it doesn't seem to be the avid fisherman who is the problem, seems more like Joe Blow who fishes strictly when it is 25c or higher from May 24 to Aug 30.

Without funding, I don't see what can be done. Stiff fines doesn't scare people if they think the odds of getting caught are 10000 to 1.

well maybe all these idiots that are fishing for oos bass should see what happens to a basses eggs in the nest when a bass is pulled off,specially if the gobies are around they can clean out a nest in a few seconds....morons...they are on the nest for a reason...i have seen perch and rock bass all around bass that are on their nest just waiting to get in there...

well maybe all these idiots that are fishing for oos bass should see what happens to a basses eggs in the nest when a bass is pulled off,specially if the gobies are around they can clean out a nest in a few seconds....morons...they are on the nest for a reason...i have seen perch and rock bass all around bass that are on their nest just waiting to get in there...

This is true... does the same apply if the spawn is over? Does fishing for OOS become OK if it is done?

Does it then become excusable or permissible?

Just playing devil's advocate... :devil:

This is true... does the same apply if the spawn is over? Does fishing for OOS become OK if it is done?

Does it then become excusable or permissible?

Just playing devil's advocate... :devil:

By that time the eggs are hatched and the bass will leave the nest as the fry will grow rapidly there fore fend for their selves...Perhaps with a cold spring/cool summer the bass would spawn later and then, no it would not seem ok but who knows. Fish are fish, we dont not target perch simply because they are food for bigger bass, pike, musky, walleye whatever. So are fry and baby fish.

It is right to fish when the season opens because usually(not always) the eggs are hatched.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

This would be a disaster in Ontario.

I agree that NYS has some of the best Bass fishing, but what you fail to mention is the amount of funding that NYS puts towards its fisheries. We do not have that here in Ontario. I think you would also be rather alarmed if you saw the differences in COs from NYS to Ontario. The way the MNR has done it here is that they've made the rules to pre-emptively enforce the issue as opposed to funding enough COs to catch poachers and people who abuse the rules.

I'd be very interested to see a report on the health of these American fisheries vs the health of the same fisheries 5, 10, 20 years ago.

I didn't fail to mention the funding NYS puts towards it's fishery when it comes to bass because it does not exist......to the best of my knowledge NYS does not stock any bass in the WNY area and I doubt they do anywhere in NYS...we have too many bass because no one here, especially in WNY keeps any bass...why would we...they are like eating slimy dirt compared to perch, walleye, crappie and other pan fish.

I didn't realize how many marine biologist we have on board here... :whistling:

If catch and release is so bad on bass during the spawn why are we allowed to fish bluegills and crappies during the spawn not to mention perch :dunno:

Bob

I have been fishing now for about 2.5 years, I have yet to bump in to a CO. I generally fish rivers so maybe that's why. I don't know how the COs could patrol all Ontatio waters, there is more water in Ontario than landmass in most countries. That being said, it isn't working. Not only do some people have no respect for the rules (which are obviously designed to help fish and fisherman alike) I see people throwing fish in the water (10ft way) or throwing them at their buddies whilst they also toss ciggarettes and crap in the river. I feel to get robocop on them but what am I gonna do, punch them out and get charged for assualt? Usually you get a dumb response to boot, no remorse.

From reading other posts in this thread, it would seem the only solution would be to fund the CO program more or incorporate the CO with the local police even on a minor level. To be honest, it doesn't seem to be the avid fisherman who is the problem, seems more like Joe Blow who fishes strictly when it is 25c or higher from May 24 to Aug 30.

Without funding, I don't see what can be done. Stiff fines doesn't scare people if they think the odds of getting caught are 10000 to 1.

You make some valid points and we just don't have the resources to cope.

I must admit that I have played perch tag. Not really proud of it but it does happen once in a while.

With regards to this quoate; "they also toss ciggarettes and crap in the river" I think that is just gross, and unhealthy. Did they have gloves on when they threw the crap or do they do it barehanded. Either way, peple should never throw crap. Well almost never. If someone threw crap at me, I would be hard pressed not to throw a good hanful back.

With regards to this quoate; "they also toss ciggarettes and crap in the river" I think that is just gross, and unhealthy. Did they have gloves on when they threw the crap or do they do it barehanded. Either way, peple should never throw crap. Well almost never. If someone threw crap at me, I would be hard pressed not to throw a good hanful back.

Your getting fixated on turds Cudz

I didn't fail to mention the funding NYS puts towards it's fishery when it comes to bass because it does not exist......to the best of my knowledge NYS does not stock any bass in the WNY area and I doubt they do anywhere in NYS...w

I didn't realize how many marine biologist we have on board here... :whistling:

If catch and release is so bad on bass during the spawn why are we allowed to fish bluegills and crappies during the spawn not to mention perch :dunno:

Bob

Hmmmm, was talking to a guy today who fished (and won big fish) @ the Shimano Invitational tournament in WNYS recently that also featured the likes of Dave Mercer and he was raving at the amazing stocking programs they have in NYS, particularly Western New York.

I'll take his word for it. :whistling:

Fishing today and some guys told us bass was closed, we were puzzled. I guess cuz my buddy was snagged in a tree, but he was throwing a jerkbait and didn't catch a single bass, just one marble eyes. If we were fishing for bass, it'd be quite obvious, can you say senkos and frogs? lol.

Hmmmm, was talking to a guy today who fished (and won big fish) @ the Shimano Invitational tournament in WNYS recently that also featured the likes of Dave Mercer and he was raving at the amazing stocking programs they have in NYS, particularly Western New York.

I'll take his word for it. :whistling:

Well the next time you see Dave Mercer you can tell him and any other fishing celebrities you worship that he is WRONG...I just double checked and NYS does NOT stock any bass whatsoever...Maybe Dave was just trying to get NYS to sponsor him. :rofl2:

But anyways here the info you and Dave didn't know about.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7742.html

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/21668.html

Well the next time you see Dave Mercer you can tell him and any other fishing celebrities you worship that he is WRONG...I just double checked and NYS does NOT stock any bass whatsoever...Maybe Dave was just trying to get NYS to sponsor him. :rofl2:

So let me get this straight . . . your argument of why the American, specifically NYS, bass fishery is better than our Ontario bass fishery is because Americans have a more advanced pallet and simply don't keep any Bass because of their less favourable taste, while us Canadians are eating every Bass we can find.

I for one have never gone down to a Sobey's and seen Cajun Largemouth or Lemon Pepper Smallie. In fact, in all my years of fishing, I have never even kept a bass.

I must be an anomaly among all these other Canadians who basically just pull the bass from our lakes and throw them down their throats :sarcasm:

So let me get this straight . . . your argument of why the American, specifically NYS, bass fishery is better than our Ontario bass fishery is because Americans have a more advanced pallet and simply don't keep any Bass because of their less favourable taste, while us Canadians are eating every Bass we can find.

I for one have never gone down to a Sobey's and seen Cajun Largemouth or Lemon Pepper Smallie. In fact, in all my years of fishing, I have never even kept a bass.

I must be an anomaly among all these other Canadians who basically just pull the bass from our lakes and throw them down their throats :sarcasm:

No, my argument is and I'll explain it a s - s l o w - a s - Piece of Crap s i b l e for you.

NYS does not stock bass as you have implied or did Y O U - F O R G E T.

Yet we have some of the best bass fishing in the world and we as MANY southern states allow fishing for bass during the S P A W N. How does that work... :whistling:

Just stating the facts and not hearsay.

Bob

Edited by Billy Bob

He said Dave M was in the tourney not that Dave said NYS stocks bass so I am not sure why your taking a shot at him for trying to get a sponsor which he was not doing, mabye a little jelous ? I personally would love to see more bass sanctuaries like on long point bay the bay gets absolutely raped bass opener and still has a amazing bass fishery there is always going to be poachers no matter what we do some people just won't follow the rules all we can do as responsible anglers is not fall into there ways and lead by example and educate as many fairweather fishermen as you can when ever you can

we have too many bass because no one here, especially in WNY keeps any bass...why would we...they are like eating slimy dirt compared to perch, walleye, crappie and other pan fish.

Bob

Ever seen the movie Away From Her? It's about this old woman who has Amnesia. It's quite sad. I see you suffer from it as well. Do you have a hospice I can send donations to?

No, my argument is and I'll explain it a s - s l o w - a s - Piece of Crap s i b l e for you.

NYS does not stock bass as you have implied or did Y O U - F O R G E T.

Yet we have some of the best bass fishing in the world and we as MANY southern states allow fishing for bass during the S P A W N. How does that work... :whistling:

Just stating the facts and not hearsay.

Bob

I go to school in Buffalo, people like you are the reason I clinch my teeth everytime I cross the border...