Head of the Thames

JohnF

We managed to drag HTHM out for a river walk today but we got skunked. We were surrounded by little smallmouths, little redhorse and big carp all mocking us. I don't think I've ever seen so many Redhorse suckers in the river before. That was kinda cool. And the number of small smallmouths hopefully bodes well for the future. Sadly the nice clean water is already getting choked with weeds. Once the summer low levels arrive we'll have a green garden instead of a creek.

All the more reason to trip on up to the Kawarthas. :clapping:

JF

Forgot to mention that the whole reason for the day was to look for the Walleyes, Rainbows and Jumbo Perch rumoured to have moved in to area. These are all fairly uncommon around here so it would be nice if they moved in. The Rainbows are probably escapees from Stratford's Optimist Trout Derby that's been going on for years.

I chucked worms on walleye rigs, spinners, chartreuse marshmallows and little bitty pink worms to no avail. Actually the little pink worms and the marshmallows were yesterday. Today was mostly Walleye type stuff down below St.Marys. I'm really just wingin' it for all these fish trying stuff I've read about here. Sooner or later something will work.

JF

BUT WE HAD FUN!

That's the nice thing about wading. There's always something interesting to check out. Rob is always on the lookout for weird and wonderful things. I guess it's his artist's eye.

JF

That sounds like the Queens hotel in Seaforth :whistling:

U can't catch fish in the hotel John... maybe some other things, but not a fish !

Nah! Seaforth's west. Today our beverage of choice was milkshakes. :thumbsup_anim:

JF

I was up in St Marys today, never have i seen so many suckers and some other fish in there with them.

This other fish had a really long exotic back tail, at least 1-2 inches long and they would stick out when fish were in shallow.

Tough fishing tho.

I was up in St Marys today, never have i seen so many suckers and some other fish in there with them.

This other fish had a really long exotic back tail, at least 1-2 inches long and they would stick out when fish were in shallow.

Tough fishing tho.

Sorry we missed you. We were just down by the conveyor belt till noon, then moved up north of town after lunch. You're talking about the suckers with the long pointy dorsal fin? We noticed those as well. Lots of them. We had hoped to get into some walleyes, or at least pike, down there but no luck. I saw a couple of pike in the water but they weren't ambitious about food. I dropped a tasty offering literally right on one's nose and he just shook it off. He didn't swim away until I until I walked up to within about 5' of him. He was just a hammerhandle and seemed pretty lethargic.

I've never seen so many redhorse all hanging out. Must be a spawning thang. When I was a kid they'd school up really tight on the surface and we'd jump in the river and wade right into them. They didn't even seem to notice us. Lots of young carp on the limestone below the bridge at the dam, too. Also saw more young (small) smallmouths than I've seen other years. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come (in numbers, not size).

JF

I've never heard of walleye or rainbows being above St. Marys before.

My buddy caught a few small very light coloured walleyes out at Lemonade Springs a few years back (if you know where that is) and I was talking to a St.Marys native a couple of weeks ago who swears they caught a few just at the south end of St.Marys this year. So far I've only got the stories, no proof. It makes sense that they'd be coming up river though if they've got into Fanshawe.

And it makes sense that the 'bows are finding their way down the Avon from Stratford after each kid's derby. I believe the guy who says he caught a rainbow this year, even without his picture. The fact that I can't catch them means nothing. I have trouble catching bass trapped in a pool. :lol:

JF