First Open Water Trip of 2010

DRIFTER_016

Well I got out for a couple of hours this morning on one of my local lakes.

I've been in Yellowknife for going on 4 years now and this was the first time I fished this lake, even though I can see it from my porch. Got down to the launch after a long 4 block drive and unloaded the the truck. Weather was nice and sunny with no wind, at least until I got out there. :rolleyes: The sky became partly sunny and the wind swung around to the south and picked up to about 15kmh. Would have not been a big deal if It wasn't blowing in off the still frozen big lake. I was a tad chilled as I was only wearing shorts and a tee shirt under my waders. BBBRRRRRRR.

Water was only 41 degrees as the ice only went out last weekend and the fishing was slow to non existent. It was a little hard to concentrate with my teeth chattering. LOL

Took out the 'toon and had the Minn Kota out for the first time.

She goes along at about 3.2 MPH with the little 30# Endura.

Kam_1.jpg

Kam_3.jpg

While the fishing was very slow (only one bite the whole time) the trip was made when I came upon a family of otters sunning themselves while I was trolling along a steep breaking shoreline.

Otter_2.jpg

Otter_1.jpg

Very cool. Never seen a group of them. They look alot like seals.

Yeah I thought the same thing.

They were the biggest fresh water otters I have seen and to have the group hang around for a photo op was really cool. There was a total of five otters there (one is just out of the shot with the group of 4).