May 24 Pike on my new leaders

Garry2Rs

Back in March I wrote about my experiments with knotless leaders and my intention to use them for Bass, Pike and Musky this year. The technology is well proven and was borrowed from west-coast saltwater fishermen.

In short, a Mono. or Fluoro. leader is threaded inside of Hollow Braided line and joined to the running line using a knotless loop-to-loop connection.

The leader is held in place by the "finger-trap" action of the hollow braid. A small flat winding, like those used to hold the guides on a rod, secures the two interlaced lines so that there is no slippage when the line/leader is slack. This doesn't hold the leader inside the line. The leaders is held by the finger trap, just like the Chinese Handcuffs that many of you might remember as prizes at Carnivals and Fall Fairs back in our youth.

While I was "down south" I successfully tested these leaders on Bass. Because the leaders can be any length you desire. They are sometimes called "wind-on leaders." There are no knots and they can be wound right on to the reel. Needless to say, with all the joints being about the same size as the running line, they cast like a dream.

However, I knew that the "acid" test would come when they were subjected to toothy critters...

Last weekend, on the opener, I caught several small pike, but nothing that put any real stress on the leaders.

This weekend I got two that were big enough to indicate whether the system would hold up or not.

KerryMay222010004.jpg

These Pike were both 10 pounders. One hit a Sebile Magic Swimmer and the other a medium diving Kopper Live Target Perch. Both were caught on 50 pound mono leaders.

The 50# proved to be too buoyant for shallow running, small billed baits like Rapala Husky Jerks etc. For these baits I have now switched to Fluorocarbon.

Fifty pound seems to be heavy enough, but I have 100 pound Fluoro that I plan to use for Musky, just to be on the safe side.

Garry2R's

Edited by garry2rs

Looking forward to trying some of that hewfangled hitech stuff. Gotta get up to yer place once I finish my two week teaching stint down in the Hamilton area. After the last few times out and tying 4# flouro leaders onto little bitty swivels my aged eyes are getting tired out.

JF

As far as I know no one in Ontario, other than myself, is making these leaders at this time.

This is a system that uses hollow core braided line and custom made leaders. Leaders can be changed easily because they are joined to the running line by simply interlocking two loops, one is on the leader and the other is formed at the end of your running line. The two loops form a smooth, tiny square knot that can be wound onto your reel and casts easily.

loop-to-loop001.jpg

The loops themselves are formed by pulling the line through itself then tucking the loose end back inside, making a splice that retains 100% of the original line strength.

Latchandloop007.jpg

Latchandloop010.jpg

Latchandloop017.jpg

Latchandloop022.jpg

The loop needed to join the running-line, to the leader, can only be made in hollow core line. However, I can graft a loop onto regular solid-core braid, for someone who wants to try the system at a very low cost.

If you are interested in more details, PM me. I will tell you where to order custom made leaders and hollow core line and answer your questions.

Garry2R's

Hey, thanks for this :Gonefishing:

Was thinking of crimping some 100 lb. test flourocarbon leaders,

will try this method for the upcoming musky season instead.

Sounds like it could be very effective! Have to find that Hollow-Braided line first.