Toronto Islands

yakpiker

I landed 3 pike today between 10:30 and 11:00. 2 of them were between 26 and 29 inches and fat. Lost 2 more during that time and missed a half dozen others that followed and pecked.

Small spinners, especially silver (on a sunny day) were most effective. Water temperature and cabbage seem ideal. Lots of boat traffic in the afternoon didn't help. Surface weeds are starting to fill in and will be a problem for casting and trolling with the sunny and hot forecast for the coming week.

Pike1 from TO Islands May 23 2010 web.jpg

Pike2 from Toronto Islands May 23 2010 web.jpg

Edited by yakpiker

I landed 3 pike today between 10:30 and 11:00. 2 of them were between 26 and 29 inches and fat. Lost 2 more during that time and missed a half dozen others that followed and pecked.

Small spinners, especially silver (on a sunny day) were most effective. Water temperature and cabbage seem ideal. Lots of boat traffic in the afternoon didn't help. Surface weeds are starting to fill in and will be a problem for casting and trolling with the sunny and hot forecast for the coming week.

Near Hanlans Point? On the old docks?

Good job yakpiker. A small gaggle of yakfishermen from Yakfisher.net were heading to the islands from Cherry Beach today. Did you hook up with them?

Yep, they arrived early afternoon and I tried to orient them to the area in the rowing channel. One of the guys hooked a 25+ pound carp on ultralight...took 25+ minutes to get it to the yak.

Past Hanlans Point in the rowing channel...the old docks are gone now. I expect the pike will be heading that way during the coming week with the forecast.

Nice Fish!

When I saw the docks gone I almost cried.

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Daniels