Insect Defend Patch

llpp

They have a new patch out called insect defend patch,, saw it on dragons den and ran into them at sportsman show,, has anyone tried them yet up north for the black flys and mossys,,, bought some at home hardware the other day to try for our trip ,, 5 for 6.50 , also good for hangovers too,might be a good thing for either one...

I have had them for the second year now,what I find is that one is not enough for this time of year and wearing two really helps.I have been out all weekend in shorts and have not been bit BUT they still get on you and swam you they just don't bite.The package says to put it on 2 hours before exposure but during the black fly season I always have one on as the 2 hour window does not seem to be long enough.

vance

I get kinda creeped out at the idea of running stuff thru my body that kills bugs. I'm pretty sure that's what the television ad said. I doubt it works like a nicotine patch anyway.

JF

• 3 weeks later...

I get kinda creeped out at the idea of running stuff thru my body that kills bugs. I'm pretty sure that's what the television ad said. I doubt it works like a nicotine patch anyway.

It doesn't kill anything.. the B1 is released through your perspiration giving your skin a barrier that prevents them from biting..

If you want any more info check out their site http://insectdefendpatch.com

Not to highjack the thread, sorry O.P. ... but I was recently told of a "home remedy" that I have not tried, but am interested in.

I was told to buy original Listerine, put it in a pump spray bottle and spray the area you are in thoroughly. They told me it will kill 'em if they are in the area and deter them from coming back.

Anyone heard of the home remedy?

HH

I used it last weekend in an area known to be full of mosquitos. What's critical is to wear the patch at least 2 hours before you enter the bug zone and additionally to make sure you are doing something to get the Vitamin B1 flowing through your system, ie some physical activity. When it starts flowing through your blood, you'll know as the smell will be coming from your pores (more so the closer the the patch).

I still got bit, but in my first attempt I do believe there were fewer bites. I got bit mostly early on, having only had the patch on for about an hour which was spent in the car driving to my destination. By late afternoon, after a few good sweat sessions, I decided to roll up my sleeve on the arm with the patch and let the mosquitos have at it. As I waited, I watched as several mosquitos buzzed onto my arm then immediately flew off. After about 5 minutes of not getting bit, I moved off and promptly got bit about 4 inches away from the patch.

I still get bit with Deet, so I don't think anyone should expect this patch to be 100% effective like anything else in this category. I think combined with a layering system it can be quite useful and reduce your usage of Deet. As some mentioned I think it is a great idea to put on two if venturing into dense mosquito territory.

I've used my Thermacell in this same spot as well with excellent results. I was literally being swarmed by mosquitos as I fired up my Thermacell and within 5 mintues the space I was fishing in was cleared out and I did not get bit at all for the rest of that evening.

I've also ordered myself some Permethrin, not available for sale in Canada, to treat clothing against bugs. It's the same stuff used in the Insect Clothing sold stateside. From what I've researched, it looks to work extremely well.

I haven't tried the insect defend patches but in my experience, taking vitamin B1 supplements and eating a large intake of garlic anything didn't help me much...The mozzies still eat me alive.

I've also ordered myself some Permethrin, not available for sale in Canada, to treat clothing against bugs. It's the same stuff used in the Insect Clothing sold stateside. From what I've researched, it looks to work extremely well.

Permethrin is a super potent bug killer (pretty much whatever lands on you is dead). From what my sister tells me, it can last upwards of 6wks on clothing - With washing :w00t:

My sister uses it in the hospital to treat scabies and super tough-to-kill body lice.

It is highly effective against insects, but you should be aware that Permethrin is highly toxic to fish and aquatic life.

So, maybe not a good idea to use it or wear Permethrin infused clothing if you're expecting to handle fish...

I haven't tried the patch yet, but in response to Headhunter, listerine does not work. I tried it last summer. I recently watched a show Dr Oz did on mosquito repellents and he said lemon eucalyptus oil works. He said it is available in sporting good and grocery stores, but to be honest I haven't had the chance to check it out for myself yet. He also said it is competitively priced with DEET products.

They have a new patch out called insect defend patch,, saw it on dragons den and ran into them at sportsman show,, has anyone tried them yet up north for the black flys and mossys,,, bought some at home hardware the other day to try for our trip ,, 5 for 6.50 , also good for hangovers too,might be a good thing for either one...

You might want to stick one of those patches on your avatar eh? I've been spraying Listerine and WD-40 on it for the last 3 weeks and it's STILL there!