Shades Mill in the rain

jediangler

Took the kayak out to Shades Mill in Cambridge today to try for some crappies and pike. I put in at 10am and fished till 2pm and it rained almost the whole 4hrs. I saw two guys in a canoe and three shore fishermen during that time. Just out from the launch and I catch this guy on my first cast.

1stcast.jpg

He was the first of 9 crappies that I caught in the first hour, including this one that was 11 inches long and my biggest of the day. All the crappies were caught on a 1/16oz jig & grub combo and released.

11inchcrap.jpg

After the first hour fishing for crappie, I started to fish for pike for the next 2 hrs. I was throwing a #4 BlueFox spinner when I hooked up with this camera shy 18" pike that decided to release itself just as my camera's timer clicked the shutter.

shypike.jpg

My totals for the day were 12 crappies, 1 rockbass and just the one skittish pike. I was lucky the rain stopped when it came time to load the kayak back on the car but all my gear was already soaked.

Being from cambridge, I usually try to make it out to shades mill during bass season at least once a week...the weeds along the river mouth hold huge 4-6LB largies that are very fond of spinners, if you can battle the weeds. For pike, I catch alot when I fish just at the mouth of the river when it goes into the lake... starting just out from the boat launch

WTG Bro, looks like ya had a decent day and as you said the rain is good for the fish and less crowded for you. Nice Crappies and I bet the Pike was fun...or at least it looks fun in the pic. A good day in the rain will always be a fav time for me to fish it's just the wet gear and drying it all out that suks...lol.

Hope we do as well with the eyes up at Quinte this week. Good luck if ya get out again, cya Fri.cool.gif

Edited by joonmoon