The old man and the trout

Big Cliff

Last night a friend invited me to go trout fishing with him for some specs in a stream he knows about. I haven't been fishing for wild specs in years and he assured me that they were biting really well.

Now most of my spec fishing has yielded small guys in the 1/2 lb or less range so I rigged up my ultralite with nice fresh 4 lb test, grabbed some split shot and some small hooks and some worms (that is what he told me was working) but I also threw in a couple of small Panther Martins cause I had used them before.

This was my first time in a canoe in so long I can't remember the last time, (he had his Kayak) so I figured at some point I'm going to get wet LOL. Took fishing license, left cell phone and wallet in the truck and we headed out.

Five minutes into it he has a small spec. I am catching chub. First half an hour, lots of chub some as big as the specs I'm use to catching. Then I suddenly get a nice one on perhaps 3/4 of a lb; almost upset the canoe and loose the fish right beside the boat. Oh well, my heart is going 100 mph, I'm wound up like a coil spring.

He lands another small one but it is hooked badly so we keep it. Then I decide I'm going to switch to my Panther Martin. Well Holly crap! Did the specs (and several big chub) ever like that. We finished off the evening with him landing 3, and me landing something like 10 more the biggest was easily 16+" Biggest darn spec I have ever seen except in stocked ponds. (no we didn't keep them all, we did keep a few that were badly hooked so Sue could have a nice trout dinner and I could get.... well never mind) :whistling:

The bugs hit just about 9 pm and we high tailed it back to the truck, boy did the get bad fast! Anyway a long drive for a few hours fishing but one of the nicest evenings fishing I can remember; oh and he was going to CTC this morning to get some Panther Martins LOL.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it and don't ask where we were, I'd tell you but I'd have to kill you (besides all I know is it was North, then East, then in a couple of logging roads until you hit this little ditch that looks like it wouldn't hold a minnow and that is where we started) Good luck finding that one cause I've been there and I'm not sure I could find it again LOL.

Now, anyone have a 12' sports pal that they would like to get rid of for a reasonable price?

Sounds like a great night of fishing Cliff, and I'm glad you stayed in the canoe. Kinda like riding a bike eh!

Hope you and Sue enjoyed your meal and...... :whistling: Oh, nevermind :lol:

Joeh

Now, anyone have a 12' sports pal that they would like to get rid of for a reasonable price?

That doesn't sound like the same fire route you and I took looking for some trout and ended up ay Crystal Lake...whistling.gif

If I remember rightly, we couldn't catch any trout at the trout farm we stopped in at...laugh.gif

The new Bait and Tackle store in town that used to be at the back of McDoo's and is now located just east of the four corners beside Corky's small engine repair place has a few small canoes out front for sale in case you are interested...

I heard Corky died a couple of weeks ago so the shop may be looking for an experienced small engine repair mechanic. Thought you might be looking for some part-time work to keep you busy...sarcasm.gif

That doesn't sound like the same fire route you and I took looking for some trout and ended up ay Crystal Lake...whistling.gif

If I remember rightly, we couldn't catch any trout at the trout farm we stopped in at...laugh.gif

The new Bait and Tackle store in town that used to be at the back of McDoo's and is now located just east of the four corners beside Corky's small engine repair place has a few small canoes out front for sale in case you are interested...

I heard Corky died a couple of weeks ago so the shop may be looking for an experienced small engine repair mechanic. Thought you might be looking for some part-time work to keep you busy...sarcasm.gif

Beans you old fart!!!! You know it's funny, I use to have a sign up at the road. Then I got so busy that I was working 7 days a week so I finally took the sign down hoping to get some time to go fishing. It didn't help, people kept coming, evenings, weekends, holidays. If I wasn't home, they just leave it behind the shop for me. Now I am going to be putting a sign up again "CLOSED, GONE FISHING"!

Beans you old fart!!!! You know it's funny, I use to have a sign up at the road. Then I got so busy that I was working 7 days a week so I finally took the sign down hoping to get some time to go fishing. It didn't help, people kept coming, evenings, weekends, holidays. If I wasn't home, they just leave it behind the shop for me. Now I am going to be putting a sign up again "CLOSED, GONE FISHING"!

Which reminds me...I never got those chains down to you for sharpening...LOL

Great report Cliff

Panther Martins are the only things I've been able to get specks with beyond worms...I actually have more success using them than worms...Unfortunately most shops are sold out of the ones I use most :(

16" is massive...At least compared to the stream specks I've been getting lately. Congrats!