Very Serious Concern

Numerous times during this winter season I have walked my dog along Mountsberg lake. Having fished there often every summer for the past few years, I have a respect for the water and the fish. That said, I also have a great respect and understanding for the rules and regulations. You can imagine how shocked I was to find the Mountsberg rules/reg. sign completely torn off and destroyed (laying on the ground) - while 10+ fishermen (if you want to call them that) were ice fishing on a lake that is closed for ice fishing so the pike can re-group for the summer season. Needless to say I called the ministry numerous times, they told me action has been taken...but im not convinced. I have a feeling Mountsberg fishery can never become what it once was as long as people abuse the rules and regulations... if any of you went to mountsberg conservation and did some ice fishing this year...well...i have some choice words for you

Edited by PaulEmiljanowicz

They don't care about the fishery at Mountsberg, all they worry about is their bird rehabilitation center. I've seen many people poaching both bass and pike before the season opens. I've seen many people keeping over their limit and using live bait during the season. I asked the park workers when they come there to write tickets for those that don't pay the $10 and they just say that they can't possibly patrol and enforce the rules. I started fishing Mountsberg 7 or 8 years ago and it was a really good pike fishery. The last couple of years the numbers and sizes have gone way down.

That's surprising to me at least.

If there's one place that's heavily patrolled and enforced it's Mountsberg.

On another note I have a different perspective on the reservoir in general.

I grew up in Carlisle and as a very young boy the trout fishing in the creek that exited the reservoir had great fishing.

The reservoir, sitting at the headwaters slowly warmed the entire system and bass and panfish soon overran the creek.

I've always disliked Mountsberg for that reason alone.

They don't care about the fishery at Mountsberg, all they worry about is their bird rehabilitation center. I've seen many people poaching both bass and pike before the season opens. I've seen many people keeping over their limit and using live bait during the season. I asked the park workers when they come there to write tickets for those that don't pay the $10 and they just say that they can't possibly patrol and enforce the rules. I started fishing Mountsberg 7 or 8 years ago and it was a really good pike fishery. The last couple of years the numbers and sizes have gone way down.

I agree 100% with everything you said... you would think that there destroyed fishing regulation sign and pay-box would spark some sort of ministry enforcement but I guess not... Even during the fishing season I also seen people using live bait, keeping over there limit, and one time I even seen a group of people launch one of those big great lake aqua boats with a huge outboard mercury...I canoed over to there boat once they launched, told them they couldn't use there motor, they ignored me... Needless to say on one hand it was funny watching them pull weeds from there motor, but on the other hand it disgusted me with there lack of respect for the rules/regs.

That's surprising to me at least.

If there's one place that's heavily patrolled and enforced it's Mountsberg.

On another note I have a different perspective on the reservoir in general.

I grew up in Carlisle and as a very young boy the trout fishing in the creek that exited the reservoir had great fishing.

The reservoir, sitting at the headwaters slowly warmed the entire system and bass and panfish soon overran the creek.

I've always disliked Mountsberg for that reason alone.

Even an extreme dislike for a reservoir does not justify a blatant disregard for its rules and regulations!

I agree 100% with everything you said... you would think that there destroyed fishing regulation sign and pay-box would spark some sort of ministry enforcement but I guess not... Even during the fishing season I also seen people using live bait, keeping over there limit, and one time I even seen a group of people launch one of those big great lake aqua boats with a huge outboard mercury...I canoed over to there boat once they launched, told them they couldn't use there motor, they ignored me... Needless to say on one hand it was funny watching them pull weeds from there motor, but on the other hand it disgusted me with there lack of respect for the rules/regs.

Shoulda torched his tow vehicle!!! Maybe that would teach him a little respect. :whistling:

If push comes to shove they may end up closing it to all fishing like they did to Damascus.

Too bad too because the fishing was awesome there. But the butt heads vandalizing and littering caused it to be closed off to all fishing. :angry:

Mountsberg is a great place for people from Hamilton to get out of the city for a few hours and fish. I used to go there years ago when I first started fishing as a teen. Caught my first bass there. Even remember seeing my first shooting star there( a big deal for a city kid ).

Anyhoo, I recall there not being as many weeds back then because you could cast crank baits during bass season and never get hung up. Now, it's usually pretty weedy by the time bass season rolls in.

It's still a great get-away for someone just starting out fishing with all that shore access, and even better if you have a canoe or kayak.

I hope the fishing improves there because it's a spot that introduced a lot of us to fishing and can for years to come.

Shoulda torched his tow vehicle!!! Maybe that would teach him a little respect. :whistling:

If push comes to shove they may end up closing it to all fishing like they did to Damascus.

Too bad too because the fishing was awesome there. But the butt heads vandalizing and littering caused it to be closed off to all fishing. :angry:

A couple beers in me and I might have...

Something needs to be done, I called the ministry numerous times yet the sign is still not replaced and the waters continuously raped by those that are either ignorant to what they are doing or have just realized that they aren't going to get caught...

Mountsberg is regulated by the Halton Conservation Authority, not the Ministry. Most of the park's seasonal/student workers do not have any real authority to enforce much. Real enforcement usually involves calling in the police or a park supervisor.

Here is what the sign looked like before the vandalism.

regs.jpg

They'll never close Mountsberg to fishing, even if all the fish are gone, they make way too much money from the $10 fee and even more from the $50 fine for not paying the $10 fee. It's all about money at Mountsberg.

Browsed this this morning.. and I'm still trying to get over that fact that you joined OFC just to start a rant... :dunno:

hmmm, and now I'm questioning your intellect... your assuming I joined simply because I started this thread. Your assumption, based on that 'fact' alone, led you to put some smart-ass comment using rhetoric that gets you know where in conversation. This leads me to conclude that you must be one of the idiots poaching at Mountsberg and tore down the regulation sign yourself, or are simply retarded and have nothing else to do with your time. It's none of your buisnes why I decided to join this site, nor should my first thread lead anyone with a brain bigger than a grape to conclude that this is the only reason for me joining... I love fishing...fish often...there are your reasons.

You're not going to like me either after this (though I agree with your concerns), but I just couldn't resist pointing this out:

hmmm, and now I'm questioning your intellect... your assuming I joined simply because I started this thread. Your assumption, based on that 'fact' alone, led you to put some smart-ass comment using rhetoric that gets you know where in conversation.

Let's brush this up a little bit:

Hmmm, and now I'm questioning your intellect . . . you're assuming that I joined simply because I started this thread. Your assumption, based on that 'fact' alone, led you to put some smart-ass comment using rhetoric that gets you no where in the conversation.

Know vs No

and

Your vs You're

That's what is making me start to question YOUR intellect.

Perhaps you shouldn't start an account and burn someone with 16,000 + posts. That won't get you too far. There are other people that know from personal experience. "No Way!" you might say, but it's the truth!

Edited by BillsTheBassMan

Now a more reasonable comment for Paul:

If you are legitimately concerned about your local fishery, you need to take action and do something. Your initial calls to the MNR seem to be in vain, so I would suggest next going to the Hamilton Conservation Authority. Perhaps you'll find a few people along the way (possibly on here) who feel the same way you do. If the HCA is ignorant of the problem, you should then contemplate outright calling the police when you see these gross infractions. A motorboat on a motorless lake is definitely a transgression worthy of a big fine. Perhaps you could start a group (comparable to Friends of the Grand) who are willing to do the same. If you make enough noise you will be heard.

Another thing to note:

You won't get too far by telling people to "fist themselves." You'll need to present yourself to other concerned anglers, the HCA, and most certainly to the Police, in a professional, concerned manner. Not in an angry, calling people "retards" manner. That stuff doesn't even wash in high school.

I dont ice fish and i dont keep fish.

ive been to mountsberg for some shore fishing twice last week and got skunked. i noticed the sign was missing,wasnt sure what happened to it.

next time you see ice fishing huts,call police.

hmmm, and now I'm questioning your intellect... your assuming I joined simply because I started this thread. Your assumption, based on that 'fact' alone, led you to put some smart-ass comment using rhetoric that gets you know where in conversation. This leads me to conclude that you must be one of the idiots poaching at Mountsberg and tore down the regulation sign yourself, or are simply retarded and have nothing else to do with your time. It's none of your buisnes why I decided to join this site, nor should my first thread lead anyone with a brain bigger than a grape to conclude that this is the only reason for me joining... I love fishing...fish often...there are your reasons.

No one is downplaying your concerns.

On the other hand you're coming across as bit of a jackass.

Browsed this this morning.. and I'm still trying to get over that fact that you joined OFC just to start a rant... :dunno:

That's what I was thinking

On the other hand you're coming across as bit of a jackass.

yep

You're not going to like me either after this (though I agree with your concerns), but I just couldn't resist pointing this out:

Let's brush this up a little bit:

Hmmm, and now I'm questioning your intellect . . . you're assuming that I joined simply because I started this thread. Your assumption, based on that 'fact' alone, led you to put some smart-ass comment using rhetoric that gets you no where in the conversation.

Know vs No

and

Your vs You're

That's what is making me start to question YOUR intellect.

Perhaps you shouldn't start an account and burn someone with 16,000 + posts. That won't get you too far. There are other people that know from personal experience. "No Way!" you might say, but it's the truth!

I'm glad spelling doesnt equate one's intellect or I wouldn't have made it this far in university. My misspelling doesn't change the complete foolish hubris of that guys comment

couldn't resist....

we are all aware of many problems with our fisheries, abuse and subsequent enforcement being among the biggest issues IMO...the more calls you make, the more documentation is on file and hopefully/eventually you'll see a CO out there....

I dont ice fish and i dont keep fish.

ive been to mountsberg for some shore fishing twice last week and got skunked. i noticed the sign was missing,wasnt sure what happened to it.

next time you see ice fishing huts,call police.

The mnr office is just up the rd in geulph as well.A 10 min drive and a photo in hand should catch them in the act.LOL.Prob the same bunch I see on puslinch from time to time.

I like fishing mountsberg at times,it peaceful and some big fish in there as well.Cant wait for bass opener,I can stop there on my way to work for a little bass fishing.