My first spring pike season

NOTHING.... NATTA.... BIG FAT ZERO :wallbash:

I throw spoons ( 5 of diamonds, red devle's) top water frogs, spinners, buzz baits....

NOTHING.

I have been fishing the shallows on a small lake that I know quite well.. bays... weed beds .. U name it.... nothing... trees, lilly pads,,, shorelines... :unsure:

I have also fished two spots on the Thames river that I was told were good places for pike... nothing

So far this is all from shore...

This weekend, I am gonna try some rivers up by Twocoda and Spinnerbaitking's regions ;)

Gonna bring my new to me 12 ft tinnie and try trolling a few places that I am aware of for pike.

I am using a spinning reel with 30 powerpro braid.. a 6" 12lb leader(black) on a 6.5 med heavy rod

What else should I try ?

Thanks

Splashhopper

Edited by splashhopper

lose the leader.. it kills the action of your baits. when I fish pike I do not like to be in the slop... but I rather be on the weed edge. As this tends to be where the fish "bunch" up... open water ahead to ambush their prey.. give it a shot! what do you have to lose.

G

Hey splashhopper, try swimming a grub (regular,double or twin tail) on a jig, depending on your depths, a 1/8th to 1/4 oz should be fine.

I like to fish it with a swim and pause, and let it dip in and out of the weeds. When you get a hit, you'll know as they tend to strike the bait pretty aggressively.

Try colours like red, white and yellow, and make sure the tail is rigged straight up when it swims so it gets the right action

I've had good results with this so far, I hope it does the same for you.

Good Luck!

Slow down and find the first weed edge out from the spawning bays.. With the warm temps the fish have most likely been out of the shallows for a while.

Jerk baits with long pauses, swimbaits etc...

Hey splashhopper, try swimming a grub (regular,double or twin tail) on a jig, depending on your depths, a 1/8th to 1/4 oz should be fine.

I like to fish it with a swim and pause, and let it dip in and out of the weeds. When you get a hit, you'll know as they tend to strike the bait pretty aggressively.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I've had all of my luck this year on either a 1/4oz chart/red hook jig and orange grub or the old faith full #5 mepps with black/red bucktail. I was out pike fishing yesterday and pulled in 5 pike. 2 of them were slowly swimming the jig/grub and the others on the mepps.