PENN 209 level wind

vinnimon

I picked this up working at sports authority in ancaster.I was going for 120 plus bucks.Aftr all the discounts while being there.My purchase was 20 some odd bcks.Not bad!Last summer i had it out for the first time,Im happy!and its on a 8.6 med heavy lightning rod.For now.Your opinions on the reel.I know the rod is a little lite for the reel.It held up on the riggers.I would like to use it as a muskie/pike trollin reel.Need a rod that would match it.A heavy hauler.Any suggestion?I like the the st croix avids.Cheers and thanks in advance,V

I would like to use it as a muskie/pike trollin reel.Need a rod that would match it.A heavy hauler.Any suggestion?I like the the st croix avids.Cheers and thanks in advance,V

You definetely don't need an expensive rod like an Avid for trolling for muskies Vinnie and you can get way with far less. I use the Shimano Compres and their excellent, but many guys are even using the TDR's and are very happy with them for a fraction of the price.

What's done is done but $120 sounds terribly expensive for a 209. Bullet proof winch for trolling though and Lew is right on with the rod advice.

Same thought here. Used a few of them back in the late seventies when salmon fishing was taking off on various boats, believe the endplates were a red bakelite material back then, don't know if they been upgraded much over the years but for $120 you are close to a Garcia 7000 which I had on my boat, still got a couple, don't know of anyone still using their old 209's.

What's done is done but $120 sounds terribly expensive for a 209. Bullet proof winch for trolling though and Lew is right on with the rod advice.

They sell for $55 new Roy... and the most I've ever paid is $23 on Ebay. I have 11 of them and use them for riggin for lakers.

The Penn 209 used to troll for muskie eh.

If you use it every weekend it is a one year reel at best. The small gear ratio is a pain. Use an 8' or longer rod to help keep the line tight. The drag is also a pain. A small movement on the drag and it goes from light to full drag. However it does have enough drag power.

Usable reel yes. Would i use it for trophy fish no.

I paid $20 for it new at the store I was working at.And thanks for everyones replys.