Camping/ Hiking/ Fishing Water Purification Systems?

wask

There are several lakes I've been eyeing for a couple of years, but you have to hike in as there is no road access to them at all. It's a good haul, 2-3 miles.

The hike isn't the big deal, but I don't want to carry the water in with me for the day.

I thought a water purification system would be best, but there are so many options, I don't know what is best.

I'll only be using it a dozen times a year or so.

I hear tablets make the water disgusting to the point of undrinkable (although safe) and the pumps are stuff are $50+++

Im not unwilling to pay the $50ish price, but which ones are simplest/ cheapest? Could I bear the tablets? I saw there is also some stuff called Pristine that is a liquid and not tabs.

Thanks in advance,

Some people swear by the filter. Having to open and clean it every 5L wasn't for me. I got pills (aquatabs) they are chlorine base so if you don't like the taste keep the bottle open and the gas will evaporate leaving no taste. Or you can add crystal light to flavor the water as well. One tablet can disinfect 1L of water in 30mins. If the water is very cloudy or filled with debris used a coffee filter to get rid of the big particles.

I have an MSR filter and I'm not happy with it, way too slooooooooow, my Dad has the one from Can Tire (can't remember the make, it's off white with blue letters) and it works great, pretty fast, around $65

I've had beaver fever twice, it sucks but doesn't kick in until 2 or 3 weeks after your trip, if you get it, ask the doc for Flagil (sp?), it works quick

I too found the MSR filter (mini works) to be a poor product.

I switched to the katadyn filter (hiker pro) it has been great lots of water through it and the filter is still rocking. I use it a lot too. 1L per minute they advertise is accurate.

Always bring tablets for backup, they weigh nothing and the pump might break.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Katadyn makes the best filter on the market. I use them year round on backcountry adventures and haven't even had to change the cartridge yet and it's a few years old.

I see some negative comments about MSR products up there. I'll be the voice of dissent. I've had one for 4 or 5 years (MSR MiniWorks, I think it's called) and it's worked really well. It plugs pretty quickly in murky water, but if you're fishing relatively clear lakes, it should work well for you. I can pump enough water for a day for two thirsty guys in just a few minutes. A few more minutes to clean the filter and it's good to go for the next morning.

I haven't tried any of the other filters, nor the tablets.

If you're hiking in, the tablets are definitely the lightest way to go. MSR makes a newer filter than the model that I have, which is significantly smaller.

There. 2 cents.

The pills are OK if you don't want to pay the money for a filter although I have heard of potential impact on your kidneys if you use them frequently, can't remember the explanation behind it though. I've always added a bit of Tang or some drink crystal to mask the flavour and I always go with way less crystal than what they suggest - just enough to give it flavour but not enough to make it sweet (and not thirst quenching).

I would suggest you pony up the cash for a filter, a dozen times a year is plenty enough to justify the expense IMHO.

I don't know how anyone would be okay with just the tablet... buy the filter man. They are well worth the money! I've drank water off muddy streams on the Bruce Trail many times! The water is crystal clear when it hits my lips! It does suck cleaning the filter...but its better than disinfecting the crap and drinking most of it! Coffee filter would get out large things that you can see, but what about those smaller organisms you cant... The filters filter, the tablets dis-infect..The choice is yours at the end of the day! Have fun!

Have you looked up one of those travel pen kinds? They get great reviews, I think it was outdoor canada that included it in their "Top Tackle" section a couple years ago. It uses UV to zap bacteria/viruses and only takes like 30seconds or something.

If you are only doing day trips, don't waste your time with a filter setup. Once you figure out the weight of the filter compared to 1 litre of water, = not much difference. If you are concerned that 1 litre of water isn't enough, take a couple of pills with you or boil your water and don't forget to take gatorade crystals to balance the flavour.

If you are still bound and bent on getting a filter system, I use a MSR SweetWater