What St Croix Rod?

So Like that Rapala TS2 rod I bought is a fine rod but I'm selling it to me dad and looking to replace with a Curado most likely. Now the rods...O dear lol.

I have been looking at the St Croix Premier and the Avid. Both 7'MH 1pc rods. Now I know the avids seem more refined and sensitive but is it really worth the cash to get the Avid rod. I would rather get the Premier as it still has a good warranty and it is just a Spinnerbait rod. I can feel the blades moving and stoping with a 65$ rod so the advancement to the Premier would be fine IMO but hey I'll definitely spend the cash and get the avid.

Again...might only be $50 or $60 bucks difference but that could be that much nicer to keep in the bank for my legend tourny frog rod lol.

Avid 7'MH 4.7oz

Premier 7'MH 4.7oz

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

how many rods/reels do you own? :P seems you're always buying something!

st. croix makes excellent gear. if you're gonna spend the money, why not get the avid? they are real nice rods.

lol, well I have my 2 baitcasters now and a Avid spinning rod that is bought...and at my parents house. Getting a Symetre spinning reel next weekend then a new setup for the spinnerbaits like ive been talking about. I like the Avids but the only problem is if I get the avid/curado then I might be a week late into bass season before I can get my frog rod(and im moving away from Oshawa and gagnonsports to a small town for the rest of bass season so like I cant get my quality gear that im trying to get)

I need the spinnerbait setup within the 2nd weekend in June so I can have enough $ for the frog rod.

I'll have to compare the avid to the premier in person guess. As for the mojo's there nice looking too but a tad heavier on most models.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

I have an avid, premier and mojo. The premier is a good rod (10 years - very happy with it), but is comparable to the Triumph in quality; only real difference is the premier is made in the US and the Triumph in Mexico. The Mojo has a very nice feel to it and for the price is tough to beat. The Mojo's are also technique specific, while the premiers are not. The avids are very sensitive, but you pay considerably more.

I have to side on the Mojo too Mike (might get a mojo this week too). Besides, I can help you out if you ever need anything from Gagnon's or Le Baron and drop it off for you on my way to to cottage (Fenlon area) for ya.

I have to side on the Mojo too Mike (might get a mojo this week too). Besides, I can help you out if you ever need anything from Gagnon's or Le Baron and drop it off for you on my way to to cottage (Fenlon area) for ya.

I appreciate the help but I'm living at my uncles house 45mins NE f Kingston. Will be spending some time with my Great Grandmother too while doing my summer forage fish collection/vegetation collection for school. It's on her lake where I make my summer 2 week report...except I'll be bass fishing every day on this lake out of my tinny giving you guys weekly reports of big bass.

Anyway, I'll look at them next weekend for sure because I need to be there anyway.

In the mean time I'm off to bed...work has me soo tired lol. I'll check back early tomorrow morning. Thanks for the posts guys

I have the 2pc MH Triumph and Premier. I prefer the Triumph far more... i find it has a better feel to it, better sensitivity. i feel the action much better.

just meaning to say that Triumphs are definitely worth considering.

Mike

I would stick with the Avids. The premiers are are nice rod but the Avids are that much nicer. Specially with the IPC.

The Legend Tournament rod I had was the Teaser model sold that one within a month, it was such a tip heavy rod.

Another option

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10205012_100002000_100000000_100002000_100-2-0

The lightest rod for the money. Was looking for several rods (GLX or St. Croix Extreme) for this season but the Carbonlites blew them away(IMO. Do a search on on Tackle Tour on these rods.

Jose

A major factor in a rods sensitivity that many people don't realize is that the guides play a major role in that area. The Avid comes with the Fuji guides while the Premier comes with the aluminum-oxide ones. Go with the Avid if you can. You really can't go wrong with any St. Croix.

Here's the way I see it. The sensitivity that comes with a higher quality graphite is extremely important when fishing slower baits that you want to have that feel... in this case I'd go with a tournament legend or avid, if you're chucking spinnerbaits, you're going to know when you get bit, regardless what rod you're using... I still wouldnt cheap out on a rod, but the Premier will more than suit your needs.

Do you really need super sensitivity for spinnerbaits or other baits you just cast out and crank in? I say no the fish clobber these style of baits but, it's your money. The premiere would be fine. I am sure the triumph is a good rod too - I have a ML spinning that I use for walleye jigging that is plenty sensitive.

Edited by Raf

You can't go wrong with the 7' MH Avid, one of the most versatile rods I own. That said, I also own the Primier model, and while the action and power are nearly identical, the avid is hands down more sensitive. Adding to the increased sensitivity, are the better guides, and the shaped handle which I really like. Almost all my gear is shimano but I haven't been able to let go of my 2 Avids, the 7' MH Fast and 7' H Fast, the latter being an amazing pitching/jig rod. Also, I've owned a Legend Tournament and honestly they're nothing to write home about. They don't balance very well because of the split grip, and at a $40 premium over the Avid you're really not getting much more than a fancy blue blank and a little graphic that says "Frog" on it. When buying technique specific gear, don't let the manufacturer tell you what you should be using, go out and throw some frogs on rods you already have and see what works and what doesn't and make your decision. Case in point, at the spring fishing show my buddy was looking for a spinnerbait rod, and ended up walking out with a loomis frog rod because it had the action/taper he wanted for throwing big blades. I don't remember the specs of the LTB Frog rod, but im sure it's just a Heavy/Fast or Heavy/XFast. If you find that's the frog rod for you there's an equally spec'd rod in the avid lineup for cheaper, and you're only loosing the shiny blue blank and the "Frog" designation. But you have $40 left over to put towards the MH/Fast Avid.

Edited by bdox

You can't go wrong with the 7' MH Avid, one of the most versatile rods I own. That said, I also own the Primier model, and while the action and power are nearly identical, the avid is hands down more sensitive. Adding to the increased sensitivity, are the better guides, and the shaped handle which I really like. Almost all my gear is shimano but I haven't been able to let go of my 2 Avids, the 7' MH Fast and 7' H Fast, the latter being an amazing pitching/jig rod. Also, I've owned a Legend Tournament and honestly they're nothing to write home about. They don't balance very well because of the split grip, and at a $40 premium over the Avid you're really not getting much more than a fancy blue blank and a little graphic that says "Frog" on it. When buying technique specific gear, don't let the manufacturer tell you what you should be using, go out and throw some frogs on rods you already have and see what works and what doesn't and make your decision. Case in point, at the spring fishing show my buddy was looking for a spinnerbait rod, and ended up walking out with a loomis frog rod because it had the action/taper he wanted for throwing big blades. I don't remember the specs of the LTB Frog rod, but im sure it's just a Heavy/Fast or Heavy/XFast. If you find that's the frog rod for you there's an equally spec'd rod in the avid lineup for cheaper, and you're only loosing the shiny blue blank and the "Frog" designation. But you have $40 left over to put towards the MH/Fast Avid.

I see what you mean man and thanks for the comment. As for the frog rod, I do want a 7'H with a nice little tip. The avid is set at 5oz for the 7'H and the ltb is set at 4.5oz

Perhaps the extra on a H action rod is worth it, like a jig rod. Since they are usually heavier it would be better to spend a little extra and get a lighter stick...but one rod at a time :) I'll post a pic of my Avid/Symetre I am 50% purchased towards next weekend :)

I see what you mean man and thanks for the comment. As for the frog rod, I do want a 7'H with a nice little tip. The avid is set at 5oz for the 7'H and the ltb is set at 4.5oz

Perhaps the extra on a H action rod is worth it, like a jig rod. Since they are usually heavier it would be better to spend a little extra and get a lighter stick...but one rod at a time :) I'll post a pic of my Avid/Symetre I am 50% purchased towards next weekend :)

Unless you're a human digital scale, you're never going to notice +/- half oz. I have fished the 7' Heavy Avid for hours on end throwing 1oz jigs and ever felt fatigued. Just trying to save you a bit of money, bud!