Big Bluegills!

You guys haven't seen any reports from me, or heard much from me lately because..... I HAVEN'T BEEN FISHING! Life happens and sometimes you just can't get out, but things are going well so I certainly shouldn't complain....

My older brother and I are 6 years apart in age, and for some reason he didn't catch the fishing bug at a young age like I did... as a matter of fact it's highly likely that Averie caught more fish by her second birthday than he did by the time he hit 32! :lol: BUT, he's been bugging me to take him out lately so we managed to sneak out for an hour and hit one of mine and Averie's bluegill shore spots. They were stacked up as usual, and some of the females looked like they were ready to explode with eggs.

Typical Gill

bgill_2.jpg

Look at the belly on this thing! I should have held it so you could see the bottom of it...

bgill6_2.jpg

Big Bull - These things are the size of small dinner plates

bgill1_2.jpg

Likely Derek's Personal Best of any species! haha

DSCF2580_2.jpg

Anyways, short time, but lot's of fun. I think he's been bit by the bug as he's bugging me to go out in the boat now!

Good Luck on the water!

Cheers,

Ryan

Guest Johnny Bass

Nice slabs. If only my brother would catch the fishing bug. He hates the outdoors.

Those are some pretty big blue gills. I guess they are spawning? Got into a school of them too in my pickerel spot that has never produced bluegill ever. Strange.

Was tempted to take some home but I didn't. Apparently they are tasty critters.

Bluegills are fun and easy to catch. I located a school of them on Stoney last September and played with them for a few days. Even caught 3 pickeral in the same spot on an Erie Dearie and worm. Of course, the biggest one got away when it broke my line.

Wow buddy those are some slabs good job

I told ya I have a spot dude! haha

Nice slabs! It's always nice to intoduce someone to fishing, the fact it's your bro is even better. :)

Thanks Mike - sure doesn't compare to your steelie reports, but it's somethin'! It's nice to get him out and interested... friends sometimes come and go but brothers are for life so I'm glad he's getting into it.

:w00t:

Nice!

I'd invite you and your boy out for some gillin' but we all know he'll out-fish his old man again! :whistling:

Nice slabs. If only my brother would catch the fishing bug. He hates the outdoors

Those are some pretty big blue gills. I guess they are spawning? Got into a school of them too in my pickerel spot that has never produced bluegill ever. Strange.

Was tempted to take some home but I didn't. Apparently they are tasty critters.

Bah, you never know Johnny... My bro is in his mid 30's and is just getting into it now! They aren't spawning just yet but will be looking to make their nests soon. They make nests the size of basketballs in the mud and sand, anywhere from 2 feet deep to 15+ feet deep. They make them right next to one another also.. there can be 20 or 30 nests all grouped together.

And yeah, my favourite fish to eat hands down!

Bluegills are fun and easy to catch. I located a school of them on Stoney last September and played with them for a few days. Even caught 3 pickeral in the same spot on an Erie Dearie and worm. Of course, the biggest one got away when it broke my line.

Yeah sometimes they're to easy to catch! haha I try using bigger baits to zero in on the bigger fish, as the little ones can become a pain in the rear after a while! :wallbash:

nice!

Thanks Dude - always enjoy your reports... Keep 'em comin!

Nice Gills you got! :thumbsup_anim: We used to have them that big in Rice Lake, not any more though. :(

What happened to them Ron? Fished out?

Those are some nice bluegills. A blast to play on a U/L rig.

Yepp - I have a nice little 5'5" panfish rod I use for them! They out-fight any fish in their size class without a doubt. Way better scrappers than Crappie or Perch in my opinion.

Cheers,

Ryan

Yup, over harvested is the problem. Back in the 80's we used to get 10 inchers regularly. Nowa days a trophy Bluegill is 8 inches on Rice Lake. I do have to agree with you, nothing more fun than hooking into a school of Gills, especially with the fly rod.

Sweet looking fishies, looking forward to Wednesday afternoon, my next trip

Thanx for the report Richard

NP - good luch tomorro Richard

Monsters!

They are my favourite eating fish by far.

Too bad that there are none left in Rice Lake, I used to catch the odd monster out of there.

Man you just put heir tasty little filets in cold water and they firm right up... no fishy taste, just awesome... to bad about Rice though!

Yup, over harvested is the problem. Back in the 80's we used to get 10 inchers regularly. Nowa days a trophy Bluegill is 8 inches on Rice Lake. I do have to agree with you, nothing more fun than hooking into a school of Gills, especially with the fly rod.

That sucks! We try not to harvest the big girls, usually stick to the 8 or 9 inchers which are a dime a dozen in this lake.. a 10 incher doesn't even get me excited in there anymore! :worthy: And when we do keep some for the table it's usually just one or two meals worth. It's an awesome bluegill fishery. Hopefully it stays that way but who know's. Apparently there used to be some huge crappie in the lake, but I have experienced a better average size for bluegill than crappie..... maybe the same could happen to the gillz if people aren't careful. I've never fished them on the fly, but imagine they'd be a blast. They're aggressive little fish - and will readily take a micro crank bait or small inline spinner.

Cheers,

Ryan

Those bluegill are ginormous!

I never knew they grew that big.

Must be a great feeling to get your bro into fishing...lol....none of my brothers or sisters are remotely interested in anything outdoorsy.....will just have to hope my son Jack is as keen and skilled as your cute little Avery.

Thanks for posting.

Simon

You guys haven't seen any reports from me, or heard much from me lately because..... I HAVEN'T BEEN FISHING! Life happens and sometimes you just can't get out, but things are going well so I certainly shouldn't complain....

My older brother and I are 6 years apart in age, and for some reason he didn't catch the fishing bug at a young age like I did... as a matter of fact it's highly likely that Averie caught more fish by her second birthday than he did by the time he hit 32! laugh.gif BUT, he's been bugging me to take him out lately so we managed to sneak out for an hour and hit one of mine and Averie's bluegill shore spots. They were stacked up as usual, and some of the females looked like they were ready to explode with eggs.

Typical Gill

bgill_2.jpg

Look at the belly on this thing! I should have held it so you could see the bottom of it...

bgill6_2.jpg

Big Bull - These things are the size of small dinner plates

bgill1_2.jpg

Likely Derek's Personal Best of any species! haha

DSCF2580_2.jpg

Anyways, short time, but lot's of fun. I think he's been bit by the bug as he's bugging me to go out in the boat now!

Good Luck on the water!

Cheers,

Ryan

Great Photo's 2 Brothers fishing, looks like I have been replaced. So I thought I would have to get in on the action and sign up to OFC. Will post some photo's of my own as soon as I figure out how this works. Off to Pembroke this weekend to met up with some good friends and take in a little walleye fishing.

Derek & Ryan's DAD!

Those bluegill are ginormous!

I never knew they grew that big.

Must be a great feeling to get your bro into fishing...lol....none of my brothers or sisters are remotely interested in anything outdoorsy.....will just have to hope my son Jack is as keen and skilled as your cute little Avery.

Thanks for posting.

Simon

Hey Simon - better late than never on my reply.... haven't been able to get back on here...I'm pretty sure you won't have any trouble getting Jack into the outdoors... he doesn't have much of a choice living way up there! haha So far he seems to be picking up on it quick!

Wish I could find some that size. Nice job.

This is the time of year to find them... I spotted a few nests yesterday but for the most park they're still grouped up around fallen tree's and beaver houses etc.

Wow, those are some nice slabs Ryan! I can't wait till I get back to Toronto and try going after them with my newly bought Whip.

Victor - I've been keeping an eye on the treads from your travels! Very cool dude! Make sure to write us up a full report when you get back... Have fun!

Great Photo's 2 Brothers fishing, looks like I have been replaced. So I thought I would have to get in on the action and sign up to OFC. Will post some photo's of my own as soon as I figure out how this works. Off to Pembroke this weekend to met up with some good friends and take in a little walleye fishing.

Derek & Ryan's DAD!

Uh Oh - the place has really gone to the dumper now! The old man joined up! haha When you get back from Uncle Harvey's I'll tell you how to post some pictures and write up a report.

Cheers,

Ryan

Derek & Ryan's DAD!

Welcome to the board!