Electric motor which One

PICT0253.jpg

My 16' Skeeter FS80 came with a 43 lb Motor Guide 12 volt cable foot paddle, I was thinking of switching it to my other Motor Guide 75 lb Wireless mostly because I'm not used to the cable & because of a lot more power but it's 24 volt & a couple of years old & my father said he's getting rid of his boat & wondered if I wanted to make a deal for his Minn Kota 55 lb PD back to 12 volt 20 to 30 hours on it, which would you pick

Thanx SBKG

I would stay away from power steering on a 12v (Power Drive). Cable steer is much more responsive, especially when your battery starts to get low on juice. Let the battery drive your motor and your foot do the steering.

I agree with bdox. Cable steer for sure.

I have a Minn Kota Maxxum Pro (80lb thrust) on my Ranger, and its bulletproof!

I highly recommend it.

No matter which model you choose, go with MINN KOTA FOR SURE though. They are the best!

It depends what your going to use it for. I don't like the cable steers, but only because I don't fish for bass. I like to sit at my tiller, and steer the bow mount. I mostly use mine for trolling/drifting eyes though.

S.

There's nothing at all wrong with MotorGuides. My last one, a wireless, ran trouble free for 8 years and I bought a no bells and whistles Minn-Kota Edge 24V, 70 pounder and I'm happy with that one as well.

I've had both Power drive electronics, and now cable steer. In my opinion, the Power Drive motors are toys. The cable steer models are much more rugged.

If you did want to control the motor from elsewhere in the boat, then you would have no choice but to go with the electronic versions. But, if you like to fish up front on the bow, then cable drive all the way!

I have never owned Motor Guide, but I'm sure they are equally as good as Minn Kota.

Brand or cable/electric aside, if you spend a lot of time on the water, especially when it's really windy, you might like having the extra pd thrust from the 75... I have a 55pd powerdrive v2 on a 16'8 Lund and on windy days, I need to run the trolling motor nearly at max to cut through the wind. Having that extra power may help you with boat control in really windy conditions.

I've always preferred cable steer MinnKota's myself but to each their own, but as Roy said, both MK & MotorGuide put out quality products.

As for the PD foot controls, it seems like they've been a source of problems from day one and no matter what fishing board you read you'll see posts from guys having trouble with them.