A quick report from Hong Kong

Victor

Hey all,

I'm currently on my grad trip in Hong Kong. I have been here since Apr 21 and will be staying till beginning of June. However, even though I'm on the other side of the globe I still come on every so often and I still think fishing everyday :P. Did a side trip to Taiwan for 10 days and I dropped lots of $$ at the tackle shops there already. Most fishing in Taiwan and Hong Kong is saltwater and their tackle/technique is very different.

Yesterday I visited the public pier at Saigon, Hong Kong.

P5162407.jpg

Along the pier all these fishermen display/sell their catch to the pedestrians on the pier, once the buyer pick out what he wants, the fisherman would use a long net to deliver the items.

P5162406.jpg

Creatures in saltwater are just so colorful and pretty.

P5152405.jpg

Of course I did a little bit of fishing and tried out the new whip that I bought in Taiwan.

P5162417.jpg

That was the only fish that I caught but I'm happy to catch anything. I did raise a decent sized crab at one point but it let go of the bait when I tried to lift it out of the water. O well. I have made plans to fish for squid later in the week.

I hope everyone is doing great back home and I will post again on my squid trip if I'm successful :P

Victor

Hey Vic

Good to see you’re enjoying your trip…Very eager to hear about your squid fishing adventures...I'm actually tempted to run out and get some calamari myself.LOL

Do you know what that species of fish is you caught?

Hey Vic

Good to see you're enjoying your trip…Very eager to hear about your squid fishing adventures...I'm actually tempted to run out and get some calamari myself.LOL

I think that fish is a rabbit fish, we get em in the red sea and the locals call them SIJAAN. Apparently they are great eating and herbivores fish. Most of the guys i see fishing for them use green algae growing n rocks tied to 3 - 4 tiny treble hooks under a calcuta pole using a large fixed float.

I just caught one of these fish my entire life (incidental catch) it inhaled a peice of squid i was using to catch snapper.

I think that fish is a rabbit fish, we get em in the red sea and the locals call them SIJAAN. Apparently they are great eating and herbivores fish. Most of the guys i see fishing for them use green algae growing n rocks tied to 3 - 4 tiny treble hooks under a calcuta pole using a large fixed float.

I just caught one of these fish my entire life (incidental catch) it inhaled a peice of squid i was using to catch snapper.

Yeah that is definitely a rabbit fish...amazing fight on light line...We used to catch tons of them on dough balls when growing up in Abu Dhabi..The locals used to call them "Safi" over there...Hope you din't get pricked by the fins as they have a mild venom at the tips which causes a severe stinging sensation....

Greats pics dude!

Tight lines squid fishin!

F

Guest Johnny Bass

Very nice! Talk about fresh! I guess its cheaper to buy from the locals then the commercial fisheries? Or is that their commercial fishery? :Gonefishing: They probably don't need a commercial license either!

One question. Where are their rods?lol

Edited by Johnny Bass

Hey Vic

Good to see you’re enjoying your trip…Very eager to hear about your squid fishing adventures...I'm actually tempted to run out and get some calamari myself.LOL

I have no idea what it's called in English, but I know its chinese name. I guess "rabbit fish" it is. However I don't think they are herbivores. These fish like to eat crap (literally crap), you find them around the dirtier water and they have tiny mouths. Here in HK people usually use an octopus hook (basically like 8 hooks all on one shank), put some dough above the hooks and snag them.

Very nice! Talk about fresh! I guess its cheaper to buy from the locals then the commercial fisheries? Or is that their commercial fishery? :Gonefishing: They probably don't need a commercial license either!

One question. Where are their rods?lol

these would be considered local fisheries and they should be cheaper/fresher. The fish are probably caught by netting and the crabs/shrimp by submerging cages. As for the clams and other hardshelled seafood I have no idea :S

Edited by Victor

I have no idea what it's called in English, but I know its chinese name. I guess "rabbit fish" it is. However I don't think they are herbivores. These fish like to eat crap (literally crap), you find them around the dirtier water and they have tiny mouths. Here in HK people usually use an octopus hook (basically like 8 hooks all on one shank), put some dough above the hooks and snag them.

You should try them next time...Afraz and Fishingitis say they're tasty...Maybe they're like tilapia where their diet of excrement makes them so tender and juicy :D

You should try them next time...Afraz and Fishingitis say they're tasty...Maybe they're like tilapia where their diet of excrement makes them so tender and juicy :D

Actually I did try eating them already at a restaurant, deep fried. It was quite good but then alot of fish taste similar when deep fried.

I wouldn't eat anything from where I was fishing, lots of sewage outlet mixed in with gasoline :S.