A Bad First Impression - Troutfitters in Fergus

Why you spend your fishing money where you do.  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What is the biggest factor for you in a tackle shop?

• Price
    • Customer Service - Friendly and Efficient
    • Staff Knowledge, Willingness to Discuss Conditions
    • "I've just always gone there"

I have no complaints about Grand River Troutfitters except for the distance of 50 miles. I am into fly fishing and fly tying.

There are 2 things that I want from a store………

“Good service to me means – does the store sell what I want to buy? If they sell it, is it in stock?”

I want to hear 2 yeses. If I hear a “NO” at any point, I am out of the shop. If I hear an unhappy groan between the first YES” and the second YES, I am out of the shop because I do not want to hear a sad story.

I wrote something as a post in a thread at the start of the year – “Tying: where to buy supplies?”

It is located on page 2 at the OOD site.

http://forums.oodmag.com/showthread.php?t=12758

You will have to login or register first. Should you wish to read my post but do not wish to register, send me a PM and I will send you a copy of my post.

carp-starter

I havn't shopped there a lot but you're right. The guy on Upper James is unbelievably nice and friendly.

Solo they sure are nice guys,it was prob greg that was workig.Tim and greg to be exact,two brothers and qoute from greg"were in for the long hawl".Oh and you cant forget the jesture after a purchase.

Thanks man,I appreciate it.Thanks alot Eh.

How can anyone not like them.lol As tony would say "THERE GREAT!"

Burns is ok and for grindstone and grandriver t f they were kind and never upsold me.They took their time with me on my last visits.A little arrog but I cant blame them.Everyone wants to chat and they were both busy as heck.

Too many other good places to list in the area.All is good.

BTW tonys bait and tackle on 6 north is no longer open apparently.I never see the sign switch on my way to work.

Funny enough you use that as your example. I was shopping around Kitchener Waterloo for a Citica a few months ago before I decided to get into Fly-Fishing. There is one store I won't even walk into, but the other two had it at 180.00 and 165.00. They hadn't accounted for the CDN dollar going way up and were still charging with the exchange rate. Both stores were willing to go down to about $140 and were great about the transaction (that never happened, but as I said, I did buy a fly setup).

Regardless, small tackle shop owners needs to wake up and realize that the consumers can go online and get just about anything cheaper & shipped. They can't compete on prices, so at least they should have the decency to be friendly, or at the very least respect, their customer base.

Im curious as to which store you wont even walk into. Would you be surprised to know that the owner of Troutfitters was the manager of the store on Victoria St for about ten years. Ken's actually a good guy but we all have our bad days. I'm actually shocked that they are selling minnows as most of the Grand up there is non organic bait.

Im curious as to which store you wont even walk into. Would you be surprised to know that the owner of Troutfitters was the manager of the store on Victoria St for about ten years. Ken's actually a good guy but we all have our bad days. I'm actually shocked that they are selling minnows as most of the Grand up there is non organic bait.

There's a heck of a lot more water than just the few miles of no bait trout water in the Grand. I lived in Grand Valley about 15 minutes upriver and would catch my own bait in the river up there. Plus there are several lakes that hold bass, pike etc in the area. The regulated Brown Trout section is only a tiny piece of a very large system. Saying that most of the river is non organic bait is akin to saying the Credit is mostly non organic bait due to the special regs section at the forks.

Im in love with BPS so i do all my major shopping there,but its a long drive so its usually only twice a year i go there and its usually in late winter early spring when im re-stocking.

but when i need things here n there,i go to local shops,the closest one to me is fishing world, the older guys there are usually good,but the younger ones dont know their :asshat: from their elbow. asking questions about whats in stock,when its coming whats new is like pulling teeth with them.

i now go elsewhere.

Natural Sports is the store I won't walk into anymore. They are far far far worse than Troutfitters was the other day. They're rude and don't want to give you the time of day unless you're looking to drop SERIOUS cash. The owner was extremely rude to his younger employees the first time I was in there. The second time I bought some stuff and was literally grunted at as I was buying it (perhaps Ken passed that down to the new management - where can I learn to speak Gruntlish so I can understand these people?) I went in a third time and was underimpressed with the service again. Three strikes, they're out. Better prices and service elsewhere.

I also just can't agree with their Grand River Bass Tournament. They're clearly exploiting the watershed for profit. I suspect this is a trend around there as well.

Just my three cents based on my three experiences.

I'm sure I'll give Troutfitters another chance one of these days. I won't be too hasty in dismissing them completely BUT I'm certainly not rushing back.

Jos @ Angling Outfitters is Great, Tim and Greg @ Bills Bills Bait and Tackle are awesome.. Two young guys doing the best they can.

If I am buying electronics I see Jos.

For everyday terminal tackle etc.. I see Tim and Greg.

I noticed today a new store opened up on Upper James... (has not been there long...) Just South of Mohawk on the right hand side of Upper James.. In the plaza beside the TD Bank.. I did not have a chance to stop in.. as I had to run into the bank to make a deposit..

But I will check it out soon..

G

There's a heck of a lot more water than just the few miles of no bait trout water in the Grand. I lived in Grand Valley about 15 minutes upriver and would catch my own bait in the river up there. Plus there are several lakes that hold bass, pike etc in the area. The regulated Brown Trout section is only a tiny piece of a very large system. Saying that most of the river is non organic bait is akin to saying the Credit is mostly non organic bait due to the special regs section at the forks.

Drifter read what I said, "Most of the water up there"- Fergus and Elora Inverhaugh. And the special reg fishery is the whole reason troutfitters exists. Ken opened the shop to cater to the special regs flyfishing crowd. That's more what I find ironic.

Natural Sports is the store I won't walk into anymore. They are far far far worse than Troutfitters was the other day. They're rude and don't want to give you the time of day unless you're looking to drop SERIOUS cash. The owner was extremely rude to his younger employees the first time I was in there. The second time I bought some stuff and was literally grunted at as I was buying it (perhaps Ken passed that down to the new management - where can I learn to speak Gruntlish so I can understand these people?) I went in a third time and was underimpressed with the service again. Three strikes, they're out. Better prices and service elsewhere.

I also just can't agree with their Grand River Bass Tournament. They're clearly exploiting the watershed for profit. I suspect this is a trend around there as well.

Just my three cents based on my three experiences.

I'm sure I'll give Troutfitters another chance one of these days. I won't be too hasty in dismissing them completely BUT I'm certainly not rushing back.

Just an FYI for all those that continually slag the Grand River Bass Derby. The money raised goes to the Stanley Park Optimist club and the funds go the improving access for fishing to those in wheelchairs handicapped etc. Thats why there is all that new trail along the grand out near Victoria . Does Natural profit from the derby-yes-it boost sales a little bit for a couple days for sure but thats it. Do you think McDonalds is entirely altruistic with McHappy day.

Bills bait did move and to more convient location, less than 1 min to the linc, they are the closest to me, and their friendliness and customer service is A1, if they don't have it in stock, greg will order anything at competive prices too

Jos @ Angling Outfitters is Great, Tim and Greg @ Bills Bills Bait and Tackle are awesome.. Two young guys doing the best they can.

If I am buying electronics I see Jos.

For everyday terminal tackle etc.. I see Tim and Greg.

I noticed today a new store opened up on Upper James... (has not been there long...) Just South of Mohawk on the right hand side of Upper James.. In the plaza beside the TD Bank.. I did not have a chance to stop in.. as I had to run into the bank to make a deposit..

But I will check it out soon..

G

That is Bill's bait and tackle's newe location.

I find it odd that that they would be selling live bait, then giving you a hard time about using it

Thats what i thought LOL...

The Dude must have been having a bad day or somthing, because who on earth sells you a product and THEN questions you on the use?

He either had a bad day or he is an unethical salesman.

Selling someone TNT, and THEN asking what they are plan'n to blow up is a bit iresponsible if you asked me?

:whistling:

Why not sell me rolling pappers and then ask me if I plan to roll my own "cigarettes" :sarcasm:

Thats what i thought LOL...

The Dude must have been having a bad day or somthing, because who on earth sells you a product and THEN questions you on the use?

He either had a bad day or he is an unethical salesman.

Selling someone TNT, and THEN asking what they are plan'n to blow up is a bit iresponsible if you asked me?

:whistling:

Why not sell me rolling pappers and then ask me if I plan to roll my own "cigarettes" :sarcasm:

There's a good chance that some people who work there aren't too happy with selling minnows I guess. Regardless, if that's the case, take it up with management and not with your customers.

I was in the same boat with Troutfitters. I was more then willing to give them my fly fishing related business and my first time in there I got treated like I was a 5 year old and that I should just give up fly fishing if I didnt know the answers to the 2 questions I had :(

i think everyone's missed the most important thing here.

did you catch anything?

LOL>. Ya wheres the fish pictures.. or at least girlfriend pictures???

Not quite sure what I find more unpleasant. The treatment you got your first visit...or the fact that after a first visit impression someone goes to great lengths to slag a business on the internet.

Everyone has a bad day. Maybe a second visit would turn out much better....just sayin.

Do you work there or something? They deserve to be slagged on the internet. They deserve to be slagged on the riverbank and wherever else fishing is discussed. If the business cared about their reputation they would reflect that towards the people that construct the reputation for them. It's a manner of common decency and the fact is, when you run a retail business you have to put bad days aside. "I was having a bad day" doesn't wash.

Perhaps you failed to read the replies to the initial thread, but I said that I will go into Troutfitters again. I, however, am not about to drive the 30 minutes anytime soon.

AND, if you find the topic so unpleasant you could have easily ignored it. The topic title was very clear (it even states "first impression"). I'm surprised you could read the topic title from up on that high horse of yours anyways .... just sayin.

So, I guess the next thing to say about Troutfitters is:

www.ReelFlies.ca

Steve, who I've dealt with exactly once, is phenomenal at customer service, even over the internet and phone. He understands the principles of being polite and helpful and how they relate to running a successful business. Coincidentally, I can buy stuff from ReelFlies for about 70% lower than at Troutfitters.