Whitemans Creek

Drock6687

Does anyone know anything about whitemans creek? I have heard some good things about it but cant seem to find any info on this site. any insite would be awesome, thanks guys!

theres some info in the fishing summary.Its a nice creek to fish.Signs are posted between clever and robinson rd.

Used to fish that a lot. Very clear water and the steelhead are very wary as a result. Beautiful creek, with many nice runs though. Check the regs. before going; I believe there are some different rules for different sections.

Hope it goes well.

From robinson rd(apps mill) to clever rd.NO organic bait.Single barbless hooks.Any fish kept must be over 50 cm.And dont be tempted to hide some worms in the pouch.I as well as a few I know practice C&R regardless in that stretch.

This creek is a cold water,spring fed creek.Its quit different from others in the vicinity.

Its quit relaxing

I tryed a spot on whitemans today...caught a couple very small rainbows but nothing to exciting...what is in the creek just small rainbows and browns???

About 6 or 7 years ago this river was featured in Ontario Out of Doors as a highlighted stream just before the season opener. That opening day it was like a parking lot along the entire length. Standing room only. The traffic on it has been heavy ever since. A creek this small can't support that kind of pressure without special limits and people respecting the limits and restrictions (no live bait, as Vinnimon said - ignored all the time and the worm containers left strewn all over the bank). I see people ( :asshat: ) take out stringers of 6 and 8 inchers all the time. Now the decent fish are much harder to find, and I haven't heard or seen anyone take some of the big 10lbers that used to be had for years. 2lbers seem to be the best that can be found- and even those are getting harder to come by. I know the guy who owns a stretch of posted land and I have a permission slip from him each year. He says the same thing. Guys come in and keep almost anything. CO hits the stream quite a bit, but there are just too many people keeping too many future fish. Even the steelhead run, which used to produce some beauties every year seems to have suffered.

This is an example of why this boards position on posting the detailed location of your succesful fishing venture has merits.

Ok, getting of the high horse now,...

The traffic on it has been heavy ever since. A creek this small can't support that kind of pressure without special limits and people respecting the limits and restrictions (no live bait, as Vinnimon said - ignored all the time and the worm containers left strewn all over the bank). I see people ( :asshat: ) take out stringers of 6 and 8 inchers all the time. Now the decent fish are much harder to find, and I haven't heard or seen anyone take some of the big 10lbers that used to be had for years. 2lbers seem to be the best that can be found- and even those are getting harder to come by. I know the guy who owns a stretch of posted land and I have a permission slip from him each year. He says the same thing. Guys come in and keep almost anything. CO hits the stream quite a bit, but there are just too many people keeping too many future fish. Even the steelhead run, which used to produce some beauties every year seems to have suffered.

This is an example of why this boards position on posting the detailed location of your succesful fishing venture has merits.

This forum's stance on not telling specific spots is most definitely needed.

Ever notice the spots that everyone fishes never have any fish? Makes sense right.

It's sad to hear what has happened to Whiteman's. I can speak from my few personal experiences there and say that the fishing was only average and that there were LOTS of worm containers kicking around the river bank.

well i fish this creek all the time and there is alot of slobs that fish there i always take a garbage bag with me and usually fill it half full each time i go there ,thats pretty bad when i fish the same spot there .p/s theres no fish there lol

Part of the issue with the declining browns in whitemans is actually in fact due to the steelhead. Prior to the removal of the dam near the mouth of whitemans steelhead had limited access to the upper creek. Since it's been removed it's opened grounds for the steelies but it has been detrimental to the brown trout population. The last time I was their all I found were a few small browns and rainbow smolts.

I agree with the harvest issues raised as well. But I suspect that is a problem everywhere. It's about time the 5 trout limit in Zone 16 and 17 streams is rethought. But that's an argument for another day.

well i fish this creek all the time and there is alot of slobs that fish there i always take a garbage bag with me and usually fill it half full each time i go there ,thats pretty bad when i fish the same spot there .p/s theres no fish there lol

Good on you man,i do the same as well.And its funny how many worm containers i p/u in the designated stretch.I worry when the cos come around and i HAVE TO EXPLAIN WHY I HAVE A DOZEN CONTAINERS IN A BAG.I do my part always.The bigest prob I find is, that they are newer worm boxes.Not something that went threw the winter.That was 2 to 3 yrs ago.Oh and thrown in the bushes(most times).

are there brooke trout in there or just rainbows and browns? and is there more rainbows or browns?

Yes there are brook trout but they are pretty rare now. Those little resident rainbow trout and the browns have really hurt the brookies, which are the only trout( char )native to the creek.

Edited by Mike Pike

used to fish whitemans alot, way over fished anymore and removing the dam has pretty well changed everything. nothing like setting your hook thinking you have a nice brown hog on and then realizing the smallies have made their way up from the river :(

used to fish whitemans alot, way over fished anymore and removing the dam has pretty well changed everything. nothing like setting your hook thinking you have a nice brown hog on and then realizing the smallies have made their way up from the river :(

this year i have caught channel cat, perch ,bass ,carp , and three kinds of trout in this creek