Fiddleheads NF

Stern Rules

I picked a few pounds this year, first time ever having them and were good, now im into picking my own wild edibles.

I wouldn't mind getting into wild mushrooms but can't be bothered reading up on the poisonous ones. Fiddleheads and wild blueberries and strawberries are good enough for me.

I wouldn't mind getting into wild mushrooms but can't be bothered reading up on the poisonous ones. Fiddleheads and wild blueberries and strawberries are good enough for me.

used to see lots of wild garlic and leeks out hiking along the escarpment never thought to pick them though, mustard garlic ( correct me if spelling is wrong ) is edible the leaves are good in a salad, same with cloves, chickory ( roots make good coffee ) Dandelions, im still on the hunt for morels.

used to see lots of wild garlic and leeks out hiking along the escarpment never thought to pick them though, mustard garlic ( correct me if spelling is wrong ) is edible the leaves are good in a salad, same with cloves, chickory ( roots make good coffee ) Dandelions, im still on the hunt for morels.

the garlic mustard is a horrible invasive, nasty.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/hort/news/hortmatt/2005/10hrt05a4.htm

The early ones froze, the late ones froze so we gave the really late ones a break and didn't pick any off them. It'll be a hard year on the plants where we left a few stalks on each only to have them freeze.

But we did send some to market a few times, sold out every time.

I found 2 very small morels while picking fiddleheads, looking in the usual spots but not finding any.

i picked a couple of handful of them but chickened out as i wasn't sure if they were the right ones, but looking at your pictures i did pick the right ones. is the different kinds of fiddleheads? i read somewhere they ought to be cooked well.

There's a distinct way of knowing if you've got the right one. They have a U-shaped stem. As far as I know, there's only one edible fiddlehead. It's an ostrich fern. I've seen another fern that reddish and has a twig-like round stem. Those aren't edible. Yes, they have to be cooked about 15 minutes. Blanch for 2 minutes before freezing them.

Read this Health Canada link:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/kitchen-cuisine/fiddlehead-fougere-eng.php

Didn't even get one this year, a friend promissed to get me a bunch then forgot, another friend promissed to let me know when they were ready over at his place but forgot, my son promissed to pick me a huge batch of them but got busy and forgot.

On the bright side I did find the mother load of wild leeks though about 90 acres of bush about 40 acres of wild leeks all on private property and I have permission to get some anytime I want. Ever had pickled leeks? To die for!!!! I have also dehydrated some, grind them in my spice grinder and use them in my stews and soups, magnificant nutty garlic onion flavour.

1/4 tsp in a pot of stew or soup and people will beg you for the recipe.