The one that got away

S.M.05

I signed up a while ago but havent thrown up a post yet so heres my first. Hope ya like it.

As fisherman we all have something in common...........

The one that got away :o:(

Well here is my little one that got away story ;)

A few weeks ago I leave the boat at home cause the winds are howling and I decide to walk into this beau-T of a splake lake.

A casual day of shore fishn and im feeling lazy so I leave the net in the truck :roll: , well if I dont hook into what looks to be a 8-9lbr in 7 feet of water on the ultralite.

For what felt like ten minutes I battle this splake in the shallows through the sticks and branches while it takes off with my drag screaming with the head shakes and rolls.

All the while Im cursing at myself about leaving the net behind. Then just as it seems to be giving in pop :shock: the damn hook comes out. :(

I tell my friends about this fish but to them its just another fish story.

029.jpg

001.jpg

I had been waiting for the right weather to get back out there.

Did a weeknd spec fishn with gramps on a couple lakes and then last weekend was like 30km winds.

I couldnt take it anymore so last Mon. I left at 4am to catch that splake. :canadian:

Man its was cold that morning. Puddles were skimmed over with ice and the net was frosty on the hands, but this was good as it would keep the splake shallow.

015.jpg

I set up shop and and although it would seem impossible to hook that same fish just 2 weeks later I would try.......

and succeed?

047.jpg

I no its not the 9lbr

053.jpg

but with a mouth like that he is definately somebody's fish story ;)

All stories should end with a happy ending,

but this one ends with punishment as he was given the plank.

Ceder plank that is... :P

065.jpg

Spiced

069.jpg

Smoked

074.jpg

and Served

Stunning fish and the scenery is absolutely gorgeous!

Well done :thumbsup_anim:

The fish's fins match your shirt.LOL Do the splake you catch ever have the blue halos around their spots like the ones that brookies have?

Thanks for the all the replies. I will post again ;)

Do the splake you catch ever have the blue halos around their spots like the ones that brookies have?

Most of the splake lack the halos, but can have extreme reds on the bellies and tails.

Wow, great story, and a beautiful, I'm sure tasty, fish. As pennance for your tardiness in posting, you gotta tell me how to get to that lake! whistling.gif

Welcome aboard!

Just drive into the hills past that stream on the left, than take a right into those big pines and you cant miss the lake. :sarcasm::lol::lol:

It's about time ya put a post up Mike :clapping: .....nice looking Splake bud!!..I'm just heading out on the river. Hope you slayed the bows today and looking forward to getting out with you real soon!! ;)

Good luck out there Steve, lets get out soon.

As for the bows theyre resting till tomorrow.

Just drive into the hills past that stream on the left, than take a right into those big pines and you cant miss the lake. sarcasm.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Aargh. The worst part is that he's probaably telling the truth... Now to find the starting point... clapping.gif