HELP WANTED ON NEW DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES

buick14

Hey all,

I am looking to buy two deep cycle and 1 starting battery for my boat (near 17 ft with an 82lb thrust motorguide)

I have had

energizer

nautilus

interstate (although these interstates were used when I got them)

I have personally only been happy with energizer...especially disappointed in nautilus..

I am looking for a couple batteries that are known to take a good long day (or two) without a charge

Which batteries would you suggest which last a long time?

my energizer's last me a good solid day and sometimes a half day ontop of that...if i were able to get a quality battery that would give me just that little extra boost would be great

any experience with Deka or OPTIMA???????????????????????? WHere's the best price to purchase some if these bad boys?

thank you!

-Mark

Edited by buick14

I have an interstate deep cycle that I've been happy with, although Im running a 32lb thrust on a canoe. It can easily last me a day, but obviously not to the use that you guys do in a boat.

I think you honestly cannot go wrong with the Optima batteries (6 pack looking ones), although I believe they are quite pricey

I have 3 Optima's. I would recommend them in a heartbeat but they're damn expensive.

I went with the Optima initially while sorting out an overcharging issue that exploded my starting battery. The Optima worked well even while being overcharged. It never got warm and didn't spew like a typical battery since it's sealed. I've since rectified the situation by removing, of all things, the 'rectifier' and replaced it with a later model regulator. I subsequently purchased two more Optima's for my trolling motor.

No troubles with the Energizer in may last vehicle (Tahoe) and I've replaced an "Eliminator" from CTC under warranty in my wife's van. I don't think I would buy another one of those.

DSC00967.jpg

IMHO the Optimas are WAY over price and OVER rated...

You don't say where you're from but if you're near Fort Erie, Ontario then hop over to our side with boat in tow...go to Sam's Club and get the batteries you need...I believe each will cost you about $65 -$69 each and they are GREAT BATTERIES....

Optima Blue tops, best battery you'll ever own. Half the weight (well not half but you get the picture). I am running a 70lb 24 volt Minn Kota and get 2 days easily out of them. Trolling motor ran at 30% on constant today, went to check the battery level and still shows 90%. Good for another day with out charging.

I got mine at Wallmart one day when Energizer had a display booth set up and they gave me a smoking good deal. Both batteries for under 250.00

For the deep cycles, go with 31 series, not 27 or 29. You will never have a problem with running out of juice.

I am using some generic brand from my local battery shop and have been for 3 seasons now - still like new. Keep them charged, keep the terminals clean and you will be fine.

Half the weight (well not half but you get the picture).

Pretty close. I think 3 Optima's weigh the same as 2 conventional deep cycles. That's a big difference for the guys running the 100 lb thrust motors up front.

I have been running a optima (blue) battery for about 4yrs with no issues. Lots of juice at the end of the day running all day long. I did get a great deal at walmart. I don't remember the price but it was a really good deal. One of the claims it makes is that it can withstand vibration. I don't know if this is true or not but if you think of the trailering over bumps and pounding waves it must have an affect on batteries. You get what you pay for. I would recommend this battery.

Optima Blue tops, best battery you'll ever own. Half the weight (well not half but you get the picture). I am running a 70lb 24 volt Minn Kota and get 2 days easily out of them. Trolling motor ran at 30% on constant today, went to check the battery level and still shows 90%. Good for another day with out charging.

I got mine at Wallmart one day when Energizer had a display booth set up and they gave me a smoking good deal. Both batteries for under 250.00

I have 2 of the small Bluetops on a 24V (and powering all my boat electronics off 1 of the batteries) and it lasts a very long time. I could go 2 days easy on mine Check Costco and Wallmart for prices, I think costco is the best price. Also check their site for rebates.

Its extremely important you use a quality charger with Optimas though, I highly recommend the CTEK US3300 its one of the few chargers Optima recommends for their batteries http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/BatteryChargersAccessories/BatteryChargers/PRDOVR~0111522P/CTEK%252BMulti-use%252B3300%252B3.3A%252BBattery%252BCharger.jsp

PS I think we really need a sticky on the battery subject B)

My last boat came with a Walleye 1 for the cranker and a pair of OMC batteries for the deep cycles and all 3 were excellent batteries that never failed in 8 years of hard use but I changed them up just in case.

My new boat also has a Walleye 1 for cranking and the 24 volt bowmount uses a pair of batteries called "Deep Cycle Marine & RV batteries made by Crown Batteries in Ohio. Never heard of that brand but after 1 season they still work but I spose time will tell :dunno:

IMO, the secret to long battery life is to charge them completely after EVERY trip with a quality charger and keep them full of water.

And for what it's worth, in my many many years of owning batteries, I have NEVER used anything other than good old tap water to top them off and my batteries always last a long time.

Good to hear about those Energizer's. I'm buying a Marine Energizer in a few weeks to go with my other Marine Battery. Will be running my Minn Kota Trandsom 30lb and a small bilge pump in my portable livewell all day usually. That with a Solar Panel will be perfect, having a spare is nice to have also (aka my Marine from last season). Was out with Gone Fishn 2 weeks ago and he has I think it's a 45lb Minn Kota with a 52" shaft on the front of his 14'. We ran that motor all day in the sun and that Panel kept the battery at a high charge all day long with a 30min break letting it charge some more.

Best $20 I have ever spent lol, but these 2Amp things from CT work.

hmmmm very interesting

also did some good research, I can give myself a little extra time out there if I get strictly deep cycle vs the dual purpose cranking/deep cycle battery (like I actually currently have)

I didnt know that, guess I should have?!

For those that have a great raging hard fishing rod for the Optimas, you should really go and check numbers, ie the useful time period(amount of amps in the battery) compared to others of the same size(Group number) and then see the difference in price. I'm sure the guy that came up with the Six pack configuration must have figured we all drink beer by six packs...so they must be better than the "normal" shaped battery. But..it's your money..

..oh.. but what about that "spiral wound technology".. :rofl2:

hahahahaha..ya they got those suckers wrapped up all right, Gp 27N battery at Wmart, $97, 155 min reserve cap, Gp 34D Optima at Wmart, $239 with 120 min res cap, either we have some really rich people, or a bunch really need to take grade 3 arithmetic over again..two or three times for good measure

How old are they Mike? Reason I ask... tried them (gell cell) in a customers airplane at his request. He got 3 years out of the first one.. and 2 out of the second before we went back to typical wet cell. Same company's battery (Gill) but in a typical wet cell, same size, I got 9 years out of my first one in my airplane.. and to be safe (considering the back lakes I'm visiting) I just pulled mine again with 6 years on it and stuck it in a need worthy Lawn Tractor and installed a new one in the airplane.

How old are they Mike? Reason I ask... tried them (gell cell) in a customers airplane at his request. He got 3 years out of the first one.. and 2 out of the second before we went back to typical wet cell. Same company's battery (Gill) but in a typical wet cell, same size, I got 9 years out of my first one in my airplane.. and to be safe (considering the back lakes I'm visiting) I just pulled mine again with 6 years on it and stuck it in a need worthy Lawn Tractor and installed a new one in the airplane.

I'm actually using them in conjunction with the solar system for lighting my camp.

We're on the 3rd season with them and they've been just unreal so far.

Edited by solopaddler

For those that have a great raging hard fishing rod for the Optimas, you should really go and check numbers, ie the useful time period(amount of amps in the battery) compared to others of the same size(Group number) and then see the difference in price. I'm sure the guy that came up with the Six pack configuration must have figured we all drink beer by six packs...so they must be better than the "normal" shaped battery. But..it's your money..

You can look at numbers all day long but here is real life data for you....

Conventional starting battery...

DSC03329.jpg

Another conventional battery...

DSC00968.jpg

Bought the Optima and suffered through 3 years of this...

03setup.jpg

Yup, it's my money and money well spent.