Anchor help

mr blizzard

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: Damn wind on Simcoe has shut us out for 2 fishing days. What anchor works best. We have an old Glastron with a 90 on the back.Had it for years. I put out a 20 lb. anchor and throw a second 10 lb. out. Still won't hold on a windy day. Light breeze is ok. They are your typical can. tire type anchors. Do the larger aluminum type hold better. We let tons of rope out. Any ideas appreciated. I am with Randy re the wind. Maybe we can try again tomorrow. Tight lines.

Find a danforth type anchor, and put 6ft of heavy chain before the anchor. The anchor your using is a navy type, and it will hold 100% better with a length of chain attached to it as well.

If you want to use what you have, put your smaller anchor about 6ft ahead of your bigger one. The pull from the wind/waves will pull on the smaller anchor, but keep the bigger one laying flat on bottom. They will hold better on one rope, then if you have two separate ropes.

The key is to keep your anchor laying flat on bottom so it digs in. If your rope is pulling directly on the anchor, it won't set into the bottom, and you'll keep drifting.

Make sure you've got lots of rope too.

The wind sucks! I've been waiting for almost a week for better conditions to get out there myself. This coming week looks much better........for now!! I use a 20lb navy, with 8ft of heavy galvanized chain on it. IF that doesn't hold me, I don't want to be out there anyways.

S.

lots of line! depending on conditions you require anchor line at 5-7 times your depth. i use a danforth/fluke style anchor at 20lbs. sometimes i need to set the anchor by hand, or make sure it is set before releasing it to the boat. i bought this anchor at brewers in hakilton it was only about 25.

I use a digger achor I got from bass pro I think they are around $70 or $80. Been using it in the ohio river for years in pretty swift current and wind , it spring loaded so if you get it snagged up it unloadeds and pulls out easily.

A delta plow is good for soft bottoms and weeds. It will hold in rocks also but it can slip if their are waves. I use a 27 lb one for a 28ft 7000 lb boat with no issues in 3ft waves so far.

Art

What are you calling tons of rope? Like the guys say 7X the distance from the bottom to your fastener on the boat. If that doesn't do it, take your second anchor or any heavy weight and use it as a ketch (I think that's what you call it)make a loop in the rode or use a mechanical fastener so you can slide it down the first anchors rode about half way. The ketch acts as a shock absorber and keeps the angle of the pull on your first anchor along the ground.