Trailer bunks

Roy

Made some new trailer bunks and guide ons. I'll install them the next time I launch. I'll have to grind the old ones off at the ramp. My question is, has anyone used those slick glide ons on their bunks? Was going to pick some up but I don't know if they're worth the effort. Does anyone know?

bunks.jpg

Made some new trailer bunks and guide ons. I'll install them the next time I launch. I'll have to grind the old ones off at the ramp. My question is, has anyone used those slick glide ons on their bunks? Was going to pick some up but I don't know if they're worth the effort. Does anyone know?

bunks.jpg

Yes Roy, I've had mine for 4 years now, makes it a whole lot easier to launch, a quick tap on the brakes and the boat slides off and a a lot easier when cranking it back up. Last I checked, no appreciable wear on the glide slicks, should be good for a long time yet.

From things I've read on different boards Roy, those things are excellent but you need to keep the bow strap tight until the boat is actually in the water to keep the boat from coming off the trailer too soon :stretcher:

I'd hate to see you in one of those boat ramp blooper videos :oops:

From things I've read on different boards Roy, those things are excellent but you need to keep the bow strap tight until the boat is actually in the water to keep the boat from coming off the trailer too soon :stretcher:

I'd hate to see you in one of those boat ramp blooper videos :oops:

I do that anyways, I would be too paranoid to loosen it off before it hits the water

Guest gbfisher

i read a guy used them on a ranger and made a mess of the bottom of his boat some of the things said were the glide ons others said bad gelcoat from ranger i relly dont no

I hear that nasty Bass Pro's do that to their competitors boat by adding sand to their bunks.

Just what I heard. I'm not a bass guy or would I ever buy a Bass boat myself.... :dunno:

Seems like a nasty trick if ya ask me. Most just sell their boat after one year anyway to pay their sponsors off for the next season.. To bad for the next guy though.

Guest gbfisher

Roy.. if you plan on letting GB drive the truck when loading.. don't get the guide ons ! I did good to get the motor shut off and trimmed let alone the bow hooked on!

Ah frig,,,yer just used to amateurs,,,,,, :whistling:

:rofl2:

Thanks for the fast reply...I saw them in sets of ten at a few places...five to a side ... are those the ones you have?

I think I may have the smaller package, I only needed 3 per side. As for leaving the bow tied up, yes if it's a steep ramp. As for the grit, haven't had any problem with that. Mines aluminum, no problems.

I had glide slicks instead of carpet on my bunks for a year or two. I did notice that the hull plate was starting to gouge the glide slicks; there was an exposed edge at the transom. This wouldn't be an issue with a fibreglass boat and may not be an issue with a different aluminum boat.

I have carpeted bunk plus the center rollers.... I NEVER even put my hubs into the water while launching or retrieving in 25 years....Once a year I spray a whole can of silicone spray on the bunk carpets at the beginning of the year...I also remove the center rollers every 2-3 years and grease the piss out of them using Marine wheel bearing grease....I launch and retrieve my boat by myself without any problems. However, 2 years ago the wife bought me a electric winch because of my bad shoulders so I wouldn't have to crank on the boat...works GREAT and as I said my trailer doesn't go very far into the water at all..the rear roller (closest to the license plate) is OUT of the water when I launch and retrieve my boat....went almost 20 years without repacking my wheel bearing because they never get wet..

Bob