Baitcasting Reels

ctranter

I recently picked up a 7ft Med action Falcon BuCoo rod (thx EC1), and I'm having a hard time deciding which reel to pair it with.

Taking into consideration my price range I've narrowed it down to these two:

Abu Garcia REVO SX - http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garcia_REVO_SX_Casting_Reel/descpage-AGRVSX.html

+ I've had really good experiences with Abu reels in the past, and I have read some pretty good reviews. Also the price is great.

- no braking system

- since it's my first baitcast setup, I'm more inclined to spend a bit more to reduce birdcaging and frustrations (although in some reviews I've read that its a good beginner reel despite the lack of braking system)

Shimano Curado 200 E - http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_Curado_200_E_Casting_Reels/descpage-SCER.html

+ can't go wrong with shimano, has the variable braking system, plenty of positive reviews,

- more expensive

- doesn't match my new rod :)

Despite the braking system, many technical aspects are similar between the two. It's going to boil down to: Is the variable braking system worth the extra money? Is it as necessary as some say, or will I be fine without it with the Revo? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I recently picked up a 7ft Med action Falcon BuCoo rod (thx EC1), and I'm having a hard time deciding which reel to pair it with.

Taking into consideration my price range I've narrowed it down to these two:

Abu Garcia REVO SX - http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garcia_REVO_SX_Casting_Reel/descpage-AGRVSX.html

+ I've had really good experiences with Abu reels in the past, and I have read some pretty good reviews. Also the price is great.

- no braking system

- since it's my first baitcast setup, I'm more inclined to spend a bit more to reduce birdcaging and frustrations (although in some reviews I've read that its a good beginner reel despite the lack of braking system)

Shimano Curado 200 E - http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_Curado_200_E_Casting_Reels/descpage-SCER.html

+ can't go wrong with shimano, has the variable braking system, plenty of positive reviews,

- more expensive

- doesn't match my new rod :)

Despite the braking system, many technical aspects are similar between the two. It's going to boil down to: Is the variable braking system worth the extra money? Is it as necessary as some say, or will I be fine without it with the Revo? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I was trying to choose between those 2 reels as well. Great choices. I ended up going with the Curado because of the variable brake system. This is my second Curado.

IMG_0440.jpg

Edited by cpguy29

ugh both are awesome reels , I have the Revo STX and absolutly love it.. and this past season I picked up the Curado E.. and well I would deffenetly recomend both I personally preffer the revo's and there 24lbs of drag! as well as they feel great in your hands.. but I would suggest you go into a tackle shop around you and hold the two reels.. the curado is pretty small and its lighter.. but i find the Revo to be really nice and compact (more solid feeling).. but when it all comes down to it its up to you..

no interest in Quantum baitcasters?

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Boss, a friend talked me into Quantum, so I ended up going with a Quantum Energy PT.

I took the advice and visited my local tackle shop to feel them out for myself. Initially, I liked how the Revo XS felt in my hands, but I thought I should avoid future hassles and get a reel with an easy to use, yet highly customizable braking system. I tried the Curado, which was extremely light and small (despite large spool size), but it felt a little uncomfortable in my hands. I have pretty large hands, and I felt like I could crush it if I squeezed hard (not to say Shimano uses weak materials, I just mean it felt uncomfortably small to hold). I decided to spend the extra dollar for a Quantam, which felt the best, had a handle that felt smoothest, and had some of the strongest reviews online. The trippy metallic coating is a plus as well.

Edited by ctranter

I've had a curado for 12+ years and it still works great, never had a problem, easy baitcaster to cast, great performance,

alot of it's use was as a muskie real (big, heavy baits, jamming it into gear etc), no problem

I even prefer my curado to my more expensive calcuta

Ahh, is the Bucoo in your hands yet?

Anyways, both reels should do you fine for most applications. I heard this from someone else, can't credit them, but bring your rod to a store and ask to put the reels on. After that, you can decide which one feels better in terms of balance, weight, feel, etc.

It will beat having to bring the reel home, finding out the balance point is close to the first guide(Over-exaggerating :D but you know what I mean.), or you don't like the way it feels in your hands.

Boss, a friend talked me into Quantum, so I ended up going with a Quantum Energy PT.

I took the advice and visited my local tackle shop to feel them out for myself. Initially, I liked how the Revo XS felt in my hands, but I thought I should avoid future hassles and get a reel with an easy to use, yet highly customizable braking system. I tried the Curado, which was extremely light and small (despite large spool size), but it felt a little uncomfortable in my hands. I have pretty large hands, and I felt like I could crush it if I squeezed hard (not to say Shimano uses weak materials, I just mean it felt uncomfortably small to hold). I decided to spend the extra dollar for a Quantam, which felt the best, had a handle that felt smoothest, and had some of the strongest reviews online. The trippy metallic coating is a plus as well.

I got both a curado and energy PT new last year. I must say, I used the PT more, just loved the feeling. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The energy PT is one of the best reels I have ever used. I have a few of the older ones, that have the trippy rainbow paint coating all over the reel, prolly the best reel quantum ever made. I prefer them to the tour edition PT even. Enjoy bud!! U won't be disappointed!

I have had most reels out there by shimano and Abu, including the two you are deciding between. To be honest, I love my Curado E7's, all 4 of them. They are my favourite baitcast reel to date. I even pick them up before my chronarchs. The Revo is a great reel 2 though. Just can't put my Curados down!

Hey matching your gear, colour wise, doesn't catch fish.

If you choose the Curado you would be helping the environment by going green! :)

Rob

Edited by RobbieTheM

Cant go wrong with that. really comfortable and well built. strong reel.

heres mine

picquant06ept10.jpg

picquant06ept16.jpg