Merc Smartcraft gauges

So going through my boat purchase I forgot to include the smartcraft gauges with the installation (dumb dumb, I know!). I checked on Mercury's site and for my motor (90 EFI 4strk) it says it has the smartcraft Engine guardian, and next to smartcraft it says "yes". Which to me means its compatible thus I should be able to just go back to my dealer, buy the smarcraft gauge set and have them install it. Awesome no big deal!

I call my salesman, he says it's not compatible and smarcraft gauges only work on Verados and Optimax engines and that the computer in the EFI 4 strokes dont support the smarcraft gauges... ok so after repeatedly asking him if he was sure of this, I stop arguing.. he's "the expert".

I sat there wondering what does Mercury mean on their site in the specs that the engine has smarcraft features but yet you cant use the smarcraft gauges?

I then pull up a quote I got from another boat manufacturer and dealer that I had priced out before buying my boat, and for the same engine (it was a 115hp EFI 4 strk instead of a 90, same engine really.. or so I am told), the smarcraft gauges were part of the quote, and would be installed with the rig.

Now I'm starting to really wonder..

finally my question is, does anyone have a Mercury EFI engine in the 75 to 115 range of fourstrokes and has smartcraft gauges installed and working with the digital rpm control, motor temp, oil gauge, motor hours, etc?

I will call Mercury themselves to be sure, but I figured I can get a simple answer from the community.

Morning Loic,

The Smartcraft site says: SmartCraft compatibility is embedded into each fuel injected engine that Mercury Marine produces. From 30 horsepower outboards to 1075 horsepower racing engines, Mercury Marine covers the industry with the most advanced and broadest product offering available.

Follow it up.

Morning Loic,

The Smartcraft site says: SmartCraft compatibility is embedded into each fuel injected engine that Mercury Marine produces. From 30 horsepower outboards to 1075 horsepower racing engines, Mercury Marine covers the industry with the most advanced and broadest product offering available.

Follow it up.

thanks Roy. :-)

Yea it's pretty sick how a Merc tech and just plug in a laptop and and check out how many hrs the motor has on it but it can also tell you where them hrs where logged at every RPM range. The Smart Craft gauge is a very unique feature and works very well with Opti's for being a 2-stroke motor. Check with Merc they will know the answer

As far as I know they are compatible.

I'm researching new power for my boat and I want either a 90 or 115 4 stroke Merc with the smartcraft guages. Everything I have read say they are compatible.

I'm waiting for a call back from Power Sports in North Bay as I have an in there. ;)

I'm pricing out 90 and 115 plus new controls, smartcraft RPM and Speedo plus a 9.9 kicker.

I also want a Lowrance HDS 10 and HDS 7 plus structure scan.

Wouldn't mind a new bow mount trolling motor as well.

I just need to go rob a bank to pay for it all!!!! :lol:

Edited by DRIFTER_016