Inland Laker Report - SSM

TDunn

Well with all you guys from Southern Ontario enjoying opening weekend for trout, I thought I might as well add my trout adventure from the weekend from up here in Northern Ontario.This was our first day out for trout on the soft water and we had high expectations from what we have been told about this lake in the spring. Although our trout season has been open since January, a few select lakes have different seasons and this lake just opened up this past weekend. I am not going to mention the lakes name we fished but if you’re from the Soo, it shouldn’t be too hard to figure out where I was.

We were on the water by 6am and fishing just off the side of the pack of boats trying to keep some distance between us and the mob. Jigging started off fairly slow, although we hooked and lost a few we didn’t mark much on the flasher and never seen more than 5 fish caught in the first 45 mins. We then decided to pull anchor and drift 100 yards further away. This move produced our first LT for the day but it quickly went dead again and we pulled up the anchor and decided to bust out the bigger rods and use the riggers. We left the pack and began fishing some water only a few minutes away that had been productive in recent years during the middle of summer. We were marking fish immediately and began hitting fish on every pass, even double headers. These fish were in 60-80 feet of water and we had the riggers set from 50-70 feet. Mini-dodgers followed by a slow rolling smelt was the ticket. A lot of fish were landed and lost with most measuring in at 20-24".

If anything the day gave us a good reminder on how important a GPS is...

Heres a few shots and videos from our day!

The Pack....huge for up here...

P4230230.jpg

P4230229.jpg

P4230232.jpg

P4230238.jpg

P4230244.jpg

P4230247.jpg

P4230236.jpg

P4230249.jpg

P4230248.jpg

P4240250.jpg

A Double

P4240252.jpg

P4240255.jpg

P4240256.jpg

A couple videos from the day

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

My cousin Ted went back out Sun for a few hours in the morning and laid a beat down on them again.

I had to hit the books for my last 2 exams so I forced myself to stay home....

He took his buddy out and put him on not only a bunch of fish but his new PB laker...A solid fish coming in at 26"

P4240260.jpg

No real big fish, but everyone had a blast!

Thanks for reading,

TDunn

Very few whitefish.

I knew a few other guys and they got a total of 3. And only a couple of lakers.

If you didn't have the right bait, you weren't getting them.

Water was 42 or 45 degrees.

I think I will head back next saturday again.

Great report and pics TDunn :thumbsup_anim:

Nice lakers for sure B)

Question about the jigging.... what was the weapon of choice for that setup??

I hear that white power tubes works wonders for them LT's

Leechman

Leechman,

Yup white tubes are deadly on lakers at anytime of year. I did try a 4" out but didnt have any hook ups that day. All the hits jiging came on these...

swedish pimples with a 1-2 inch white and white/pink tubes threaded onto the hook. Mke sure you remove the hook and put the shank of the hook through the tube then re-attach onto the split ring.

Buzzbombs bare and sometimes tipped with a small tube in the same fashion.

TDunn

Edited by TDunn