Fiddleheads Are Out NF

Stern Rules

Managed to get a couple lbs worth Saturday. Some spots are out while others are not. Wasn't expecting them to be out 'til next week. Anybody else getting any or were you concentrating on the trout opener? Speaking of the opener, ran into a gentleman that got a nice brookie about 10 inches right where I was looking last year. Now I know where I'm going. Love those brookies.

Managed to get a couple lbs worth Saturday. Some spots are out while others are not. Wasn't expecting them to be out 'til next week. Anybody else getting any or were you concentrating on the trout opener? Speaking of the opener, ran into a gentleman that got a nice brookie about 10 inches right where I was looking last year. Now I know where I'm going. Love those brookies.

saw them yesterday but didnt have a bag, wont mae that mistake today though

I have never had them but seen people out collecting them, do you just pick the curled end or the whole "stock" .. my son want to go pick some and I wouldn't mind trying them .. if I get some I am going to need a way to cook em? (I imagine the same as any veggie, steam em)

I have never had them but seen people out collecting them, do you just pick the curled end or the whole "stock" .. my son want to go pick some and I wouldn't mind trying them .. if I get some I am going to need a way to cook em? (I imagine the same as any veggie, steam em)

pick them withing 3 inches of the ground and cook well. best in a pan cooked with a couple of pieces of bacon on the side with trout.

Usually you just pick the curled end. I don't usually pick them with much of the stem. Make sure you cook them well and do not eat raw. Definately read the article from the link. I didn't know about the toxins until I read it. Good to know.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/kitchen-cuisine/fiddlehead-fougere-eng.php

I noticed that they were out walking the dog through the woods the other night. I am going to bring an extra bag with me tonight and pick some.

Make sure you don't get your two bags mixed up :o

My recipe:

Clean and thoroughly wash them. I semi-boil them in salted water. I drain them, then spread them out evenly on a slightly greased cookie sheet. I add garlic, salt and pepper, then cover them with some grated Parmesian (sp) cheese. Put them under the broiler until the cheese is fully melted.

Enjoy!

HH

My recipe:

Clean and thoroughly wash them. I semi-boil them in salted water. I drain them, then spread them out evenly on a slightly greased cookie sheet. I add garlic, salt and pepper, then cover them with some grated Parmesian (sp) cheese. Put them under the broiler until the cheese is fully melted.

Enjoy!

HH

That sounds awesome!!