A Question about line choice for steel/salmon

Kinger

I would like to know from some experienced steelheaders/salmon fishermen what kind of line they would use in crystal clear, cold, fast moving water. Think St. Marys rapids, that's where I will be applying this. I have not been able to settle on a line to use a mainline or leader (would you use flouro with such fast moving water?). My setup is a 13 ft cold water float rod and either a spinning reel (Spirex 4000FE) and at the end of the month my Okuma centerpin. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated :D (I'm lookin' your way solo, MJL, Dunn and BillM). Tight lines. :Gonefishing:

I would like to know from some experienced steelheaders/salmon fishermen what kind of line they would use in crystal clear, cold, fast moving water. Think St. Marys rapids, that's where I will be applying this. I have not been able to settle on a line to use a mainline or leader (would you use flouro with such fast moving water?). My setup is a 13 ft cold water float rod and either a spinning reel (Spirex 4000FE) and at the end of the month my Okuma centerpin. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated :D (I'm lookin' your way solo, MJL, Dunn and BillM). Tight lines. :Gonefishing:

I'd stick to mono as a mainline. Simple Trilene XT or XS is always a great cheap option in my opinion. Another brand I am fond of is Maxima. Use fluoro as a leader only. Remember fluoro is very dense and sinks. Your gonna want the line to stay on top the water. Western has spools of raven fluoro leader for 11.99 I think.

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

For the pin, raven mainline in the smoke colour was great in the rapids 10 or 12 lb. I used raven 4.5 or 6.8 fluoro for the leader. With a long rod 4.5 was often enough and the fish seemed to respond better to lighter line in the rapids.

For the spinning reel, I like Maxima Ultragreen in 6lb test, it seems to have a larger diameter than XL. Great line in the rapids.

Stay away from that hi vis stuff out there.

Also make sure you have round shot, not the removable ones. For a big fast flow, it is ultra clear and the fish can be picky.

Awesome, so I was on the right track! :D

I am thinking UltraGreen will work great for spinning and Raven on the pin.

I have 90+ days I can spend in the rapids over the next 5 months so I plan on taking full advantage of them.

Search up Gamma fishing line, last year while re spooling my pin this line was sujested to me by john at tightlines and i havent had a problem with it. infact i loved it so much that i went and bought two more spools of 8lb line in moss green just to fill up all my other reels. its pretty much the onnly main line i use now.

Although im not solo, MJL, Dunn or BillM, ill still offer my 2cents lol

I acctually really like the Hi-vis line! and i sure did well at the rapids this year! i have been running hi vis raven main line this year, just because it was on sale at western for $10 for 800 yards 10lbs test lol. and i have not seen my catch rate drop since switching to the bright stuff. for leader ive been running 6-8 lbs seagaur floro, this is great leader material its small diameter and compleatly disipears once in the water, i usually run 18"-24" leader. i have also been running the same set up on the smaller/ clearer rivers and have done great so far this year!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i've been using siglon (not the hi vis) lately and have found it VERY easy to cast, and it might be my imagination, but it seems to twist less. i've been experimenting the last year as i can't settle on a line. i have a spool of raven to try next, as it seemed to come highly suggested on here...

IMHO i'd stay away from the high vis unless you're combat fishing... it doesn't serve much purpose otherwise... ESPECIALLY when the water is that clear. if you can see your line that easily at 50 yards, i reckon the fish can too.

I want to land my first ever steelhead on a jig I tied myself, I bet not too many people do that! Hehe.

25686_379535247841_515647841_3822622_5800422_n.jpg

Bellissima! :thumbsup_anim:

I don't have any experience fishing in the Soo (or Lake Superior tribs for that matter). Pikeie, Doc Sal, TDunn and Troutologist can help you a lot more than I can.

For my mainline, 10lb Raven (in smoke grey or green) matched with 5-6lb Maxima Ultragreen leaders has landed many a jumbo steelhead from the Niagara for me. So long as the bait is moving at a fair pace, steelhead don't seem to mind smashing it even with a slightly heavier (and more visible) leader...It may be different where you're fishing so carry leader materials in different strengths and materials...As far as fluorocarbon leaders go, I like 6lb Drennan Fluoro as well as the 6.6lb Scientific Angler fluoro for the big water & clear water situations when I need it. The Scientific Angler fluoro is certainly more supple than the Drennan fluoro and will aid in the presentation of your bait (I still find it fairly abrasion resistant too in most cases)

HTH