Saving a fishery

bigugli

As you know, I have gotten involved in this nastiness about 15 Mile creek. Even though a few rays of light have shown through the cracks, we have received no clear answers. I get the distinct feeling we need to make a little more noise. JohnF suggested a letter campaign. Here it is, complete with a follow up list of e-mail addies. Cut paste and send. Remember to sign your real name and town. Politicians count taxpayers/voters, not the anonymous. Know that our voices do count, and they are listening.

To Whom It May Concern.

I write to direct your attention to an extremely grave problem in the Niagara region. One which affects citizens across much of southern Ontario.

15 Mile creek is a tributary stream feeding the western basin of Lake Ontario. It borders the Town of Lincoln and the City of St Catharines. Where the stream meets the lake there is a large impound pond at Charles Daley Park. Over the years the park has provided excellent opportunities for anglers and wildlife enthusiasts alike. It also provides habitat for diverse wildlife, including protected species as the painted turtle.

More importantly, this body of water is a key spawning ground for lake run species from Lake Ontario. Through the months of April and May, numerous species enter this pond to breed. They include rainbow trout, yellow perch, white bass, crappie, channel catfish, common carp and freshwater drum. Vast schools of emerald shiner, a key forage fish for many species also enter this pond. This makes 15 Mile creek an important natural nursery bed for Lake Ontario's fishery.

That pond has now sustained serious damage as a result of negligent development, The shoreline and spawning beds immediately in front of 1197 Lakeshore rd. have been devastated and stripped by heavy equipment. The damage continues as sediment runs off, unchecked, from a slope that has been stripped of vegetation. Despite calls placed with the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority, the Ministry of Natural Resources, and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, no action has been taken. In fact, many excuses have been supplied for not taking action.

As an outdoors enthusiast and conservationist I am shocked. As a taxpayer, I am appalled. Laws written to protect and sustain the fisheries and environment are not being enforced. If left unremedied, the damage to the fishery and wildlife will take decades to recover. I expect, and respectfully, demand that suitable actions be taken to:

1) Enforce the laws in place to protect both the fishery and environment.

2) Engage in immediate efforts to restore the affected habitat

Yours in Conservation

Here is a list of contacts to e-mail this letter. Please sign with your name and address, Verifiable taxpayer voices are what count. Let us know if you participate.

http://www.gailshea.ca/ Minister of Fisheries Canada

[email protected] Minister for MNR

http://www.niagararegion.ca/mailto.aspx?em...eter+Partington

Regional chairperson

[email protected] Co-ordinator of watershed regulation NPCA

[email protected]

[email protected] MP for Lincoln

[email protected] MPP St Catharines

[email protected] MPP Lincoln and leader of Ontario PC party

Thank you all for your support

Thanks.

Emails sent to everyone listed.

edit* can this be pinned?

I also sent one to the federal branch of the ministry of environment and the ministry of health and safety (its stated in the green book about sediment run off requirements). I would also add the word "Due Diligence" to your letter which makes this against the law With the "Construction Act" in which the companies evolved will receive fines (sometimes). l have done pond development and l tell you the ministry is their a lot if not then they are not doing there jobs and should be accountable for it.

Ken

I actually got a response today

Hello Gord;

Thank you for your email of April 13, 2010.

With respect to your email, please be advised that the owners of the property you have referenced are currently in discussions with NPCA with a view to implementing restoration. As of this writing our Regulation Officer has advised that some interim sediment control measures have already been put in place. NPCA has and will continue to pursue satisfactory restoration and resolve of this matter, by the most expedient and legal means available to us.

Yours truly;

Steve Miller, P.Eng.

Coordinator, Watershed Regulations

Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority

250 Thorold Road

Welland, ON L3C 3W2

Tel: 905-788-3135 x 231

Fax: 905-788-1121

Email: [email protected]

the conservation authority would have most certainly provided a permit or at the very least been made avail of the project. MOE will take a decade to come out, the local OMNR biologist might be the same. I suggest you force the local CA to come and view it with their biologist and the enforcement staff member

Got another email today. Bigugly, can you please call her?

Hi Geoff, I'm very interested in looking into this. Do you have a phone number so we can speak briefly?

Thanks,

Karena Walter

Reporter

St. Catharines Standard

905-684-7255 ext. 298

This sounds like a contravention of the federal Fisheries Act (section 35 or 36); the Department of Fisheries and Oceans should be interested in a case like this - destruction of fisheries habitat. So should the CA and MNR. The CA/MNR should be in touch with DFO.

They were informed on day 1 almost a month back. See link.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41739&st=0