First experience with co's

sandmann

Ive been checked 4 times since the steelhead season has came to N. Ontario this year.

No problems at all and every CO has been very pleasent. Ive only seen them fine one person, who was drinking beer at the Chip.

I havent been checked by the US Coastgaurd on the river yet this year but Im sure thats coming soon.

Ive never had any problems with them either....

TDunn

Ive been checked numerous times...usually waiting at a launch or our trucks in the winter...never been checked while actually fishing...just when we are packing up.

Hunting ive been checked a few times as well...never a problem, as long as your polite and not standofish with them

Ive been checked numerous times...usually waiting at a launch or our trucks in the winter...never been checked while actually fishing...just when we are packing up.

Hunting ive been checked a few times as well...never a problem, as long as your polite and not standofish with them

You've never had the helicopter visit in the winter? They came in via chopper 2x in the last 3 years.

Edited by troutologist

There on the Grand River near Fergus constantly. Lots of fishing pressure and really hard to enforce regulations to protect the Brown trout population.

I've been checked on Simcoe twice, Thornbury once and on the Ottawa River at least once a summer.

Dan O.

hell, I was stopped 7 times on one long weekend...

I think there is a sign on my boat that says check this guy out he's hiding something

I would be afraid to fart if it was illegal for fear I would get stopped......

I can hardly wait until next year, I'm going to call in a complaint on myself and have them come and check for a license, then I'm going to tell them I don't have one! I'll wait until they finish writing up the ticket before I explain that I'm 65 LOL. (Just kidding, I wouldn't waste their time on such nonsense) they do a good job considering the resources they have to work with.

t is not a matter of if, but when.... same idea as a RIDE program.. eventually you will be stopped, and checked.

Actually only been approached once in all these years, on Bronte Pier about 4 years ago. However, been stopped by the ride program many times. Woder what sort of message that sends? :dunno:

I love to see the Boy's in green out patroling :). i ve been checked 5 times in march alone! always when ive been steelheading. got checked 3 times this winter on the ice aswell. ive never had a problem with them and usually have a great conversation with them once they relize im studying Fish & Wildlife, they have givin me lots of pointers and even givin me names to help me get into the field. 3 of the CO's in the area know me by name lol, just because of them coming into our differnt classes and giving presentations/ finding me on the rivers lol.

hell, I was stopped 7 times on one long weekend...

I think there is a sign on my boat that says check this guy out he's hiding something

I would be afraid to fart if it was illegal for fear I would get stopped......

Hell Terry, they know if they check you they will not have to touch any fish lol :o) :rofl2::rofl2:

Edited by fishhunter

Never "shoot the breeze" with a CO while out in the field or on the water. He's usually looking for you to say something suspicious. Though you haven't done anything wrong, it's best to just be courteous, let him check what he needs to check - license, stringer, tags, etc. - and then be on your way.

Your buddy he ain't.

• 3 weeks later...

Never "shoot the breeze" with a CO while out in the field or on the water. He's usually looking for you to say something suspicious. Though you haven't done anything wrong, it's best to just be courteous, let him check what he needs to check - license, stringer, tags, etc. - and then be on your way.

Your buddy he ain't.

OK...but if you've done nothing wrong, what suspicion would you raise? I've always had pleasant interactios with COs; last time I was inspected on the water, he gave a lure to my son.

OK...but if you've done nothing wrong, what suspicion would you raise? I've always had pleasant interactios with COs; last time I was inspected on the water, he gave a lure to my son.

Most cos I encontered where all good exp and a great chat except for one,His fault.All in All there a good bunch of folks.Nothing to hide nothing to fear.Ive even got a heads up a few times on some honey holes,LOL.

Was ice fishing on Lake Simcoe, with a friend and his son. His son went to another hut to see his grandfather. I was standing outside, when a CO pulls up out of nowhere, ask for my fishing license and drivers license. When my friends son left, his rods where still down, too many rods for the 2 of us. His son comes running back the Co tells him to bring his rods up when he goes to see someone. No charges, but I thought he must have been watching the huts and when somebody goes visting 9 times out of ten they leave their rods down. Also am I responsible for someone child in regards to keeping track of their rods, or anybody's rod. No problem just something I wonder about.

Ive had 3 experiences in the last 5 years or so first one was on birthday and I was crappie fishing they just asked me my age and when I was born, second time I was out carp fishing and my bro just left and left his rod there ( not in water ) the guy was plain clothed and showed me his badge he asked me my age and what I was fishin for I said carp and he asked me what bait I was using, I said corn he said alright good luck, fun part was I was the only one of the entire group of people there not to get fined was great guy

I get checked more than 50% of the time I go out on GB ... must be the rental boat ... they come together with OPP .. I think they are really just hoping to find some beer aboard ...there's no fish in GB ;)

You must be running across a kinder gentler, breed of CO in Southern Ontario. Many of our CO's (talking over many years of encounters) are suspicious, brusque, a little arrogant. Of course it probably has never helped that I (and friends) have run across them almost exclusively during hunting season. I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've run across a CO in open-water fishing over the course of the last 40 years or so.

And I know, or know of, a few CO's in the north who built themselves reputations as real.... (expletive).

There are also good ones, yes, but in my experience it's a bit of a toss-up what kind you're going to meet.

I have been checked twice by CO's in last 4 yrs and 4 times by the OPP... I alway welcome them coming by when I am out. I do however agree with keeping it short unless you have specific questions. Not so much because I think they are trying to trip me up even though I believe at all times I am within the regs, but because I see them or the OPP out so little I don't want them wasting time talking to me when they could catching poachers LOL.