Buying a used boat is a pain in the arse!!

I responded to an ad on Kijiji last week the guy finally got back to me.

Guy says he is out of town and won`t be back for a couple of weeks so I says fine I will look when you get back,he then comes back and says his trip has been extended so now he won`t be back until May but he can sell me the boat and E-Bay can broker the deal all I have to do is send the money to E-Bay and it will be held by E-Bay until the transaction is complete.

I ask him why the boat was for sale on E-Bay last month and sold for 17 grand sellers location(Witchita Kansas)and now he wants to sell it in Toronto for 13 Grand.

I think I am just going to turn all this over one of my law enforcement buddies and see if they can to do anything with this scumbag.

I find strange how people actually fall for these scams.

The search continues.

yes same here. FYI ebay doesnt broker any such deals. The only way they will broker any deal is if there was an auction in the first place between you and the seller. Just gotta be carefull and NEVER send cash without meeting in person.

There are definately alot of scams on Craiglist and Kijiji .

I saw this boat advertised and it looked like a pretty good deal . It was on a Minneapolis craiglist on Sitemash.

G3 V167 Angler with w/ 4 stroke Yamaha 50hp still under Warrenty - $9750 (Eden Prairie)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 2010-04-02, 2:23PM CDT

Reply to: see below

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a G3 167 Angler for sale still under warranty. This boat was purchased new from Gander Mountain in the Spring of 2008. It still has a full warranty until 2011 for the motor and the boat (parts) is under warranty for 10 years and a lifetime warranty for the hull.

This is a beautiful boat and motor combination. Yamaha 4 stroke motors are considered the best there are. Absolutely no issues with anything. The only reason I am selling is because I sold my cabin in Canada where this boat was and I really don't have a need for a boat this large. I have used this boat and motor combination only 4 times since I purchased it and it has less than 40 hours on it total.

It also includes also includes, a G3 trailer (with lifetime license and removable tounge), Wave Wackers, 3 boat seats, battery (with main shut off switch), gas tank, Eagle Fish Mark 320, free 3 year fishing license refund from G3, and an Easy Troll Trolling Plate. New this package would cost over $15,000 plus tax and extras.

I own the boat outright so the title trasfer will be very easy. In otherwords, everything is in my name.

My loss is your gain in this deal. Please call 952-956-2774 if interested. Phone calls only. Please no e-mails.

Edited by mikeh

I was looking at buying a Hummer H1 last year and got the same thing 'I moved out of country and brought the hummer with me. They wont allow me to drive it I will ship it back to you' ... yahhh right!!

I knew the deal was too good to be true!

i had one last fall when i was looking for a boat great price on auto trader emailed the seller. the responce was that she won the boat in the divorce and she wanted to sell it cheap to piss off the x. the boat however was in the states and she would ship it back here. Didn't even bother to respond back

Have you considered buying a new boat with full warranty? i think for the price you are looking at you can get a pretty decent boat in that price range, Just a thought :D

Same thing happened to me with a tent trailer...I didn't go for it...You can find out the source of the sellers email when you click on files/ properties/ details and it will trace the source somewhat. The buy and sell in barrie is very bad for it...

Have you considered buying a new boat with full warranty? i think for the price you are looking at you can get a pretty decent boat in that price range, Just a thought :D

New boats are an option and I have a couple of quotes on new.

I just think there may be better value in a good gently used rig the trick is finding that deal.

Used = no freight,dealer prep,GST etc.

No, no, no, it's not a scam. Trust me on this one. It's the real deal, people have done it for years. Why waste time and email back and forth with the seller , I'm willing to do all the work for you, I've had the paypal account for years and know how it works. Just wire up to me $13K and by the month I'll bring you your boat, and hurry quick! I can only do this deal if I'll get the money withing three days, but if you don't trust me I've got some nigerian dude that is willing to help you.

• 2 weeks later...

I just think there may be better value in a good gently used rig the trick is finding that deal.

Agree 100% keep posting want ads you'll probably find someone on here that knows someone reputable to buy from. Good luck.

I recently looked at two used boats, cosmetically they looked perfect, under the cowling the same thing, all was well until I looked at an engine report on one with a cylinder that went to 250 degrees aka pretty much done and the other that was in fact done I bought my last boat from someone trustworthy and thats the best recomdation I can say or do what I did buy new

There are loads of good deals out there!!....use the Canadain dollar to your advantage and buy in the U.S......there's no comparison with the price of used boats down in the states compared to the overpriced boats up here in Canada...

I just bought one last week close to New York City and although it consumed a lot of my time perparing for the purchase, it was WELL WORTH IT!!!...

Do your homework, use your head, make lots of calls, and DO NOT SEND MONEY!......why would anyone want to send money to someone for a boat that they have never looked at :dunno: ....when you do find one ask to see the Certificate of Title, Lien Release, Boat Registration, Trailer Registration and then ask to see his driver's license to make sure all the info matches...also tell the owner that you want him to take the boat out on the water for a demo with you, and ask if there is a nearby Marina, that he can call to make an appointment to have the engine inspected that you will pay for....if the seller wants to sell the boat bad enough, he'll have no issues doing the above for you!! :thumbsup_anim:

New boats are an option and I have a couple of quotes on new.

I got mine as a consignment sale through Proctor marine. Benefit of no dealer prep, no GST, no freight and a marine wtih an interest in keeping a future customer. I searched lots of marines when I was looking and although there weren't a lot of boats in the size I was looking for, I found at least 3, and all in the price range I was looking for. If you haven't already, try googling "Marine, used boat, consignment xxx" where xxx = the area you live, or are willing to drive to.

My $0.02

I got mine as a consignment sale through Proctor marine. Benefit of no dealer prep, no GST, no freight and a marine wtih an interest in keeping a future customer. I searched lots of marines when I was looking and although there weren't a lot of boats in the size I was looking for, I found at least 3, and all in the price range I was looking for. If you haven't already, try googling "Marine, used boat, consignment xxx" where xxx = the area you live, or are willing to drive to.

My $0.02

Sounds like you got the best of both worlds there. And starting a relationship with a class act like Proctor is never a bad thing.

Jim