Maybe a different Walleye / Pickerel technique to try.

Harrison

Hey all, I don't post many fishing reports to often anymore for various reasons, however I thought I would share this.

This is a technique we use for Kawartha walleye. So with opener coming up soon I thought I would share and maybe help some boat more fish.

Early day we would target weededges dipping either grubs or ripping bucktails. Which can produce fish like the buckhorn walleye below.

phileye.jpg

But as the sun rose and/or pressure turned on the fish would move deep into the weedbeds. Where you could dip the pockets with the grups or bucktails, however we found the good fish would bury into the thickest growth where the above lures couldn't penetrate. With clients in the boat we had to figure out a way to get them.

We did, and here is how we did it. We would use a "Flippin jig" more known as a bass lure. We would trim the skirts and thin them out a bit for a leaner profile. Sometime the regualr "chunk" or pork works, if not, we use either a power worm or sassy shad/renosky to dress the jig.

Either 9/16 , 1/2 and 3/4oz are the go to's. We fished it with a 20 or 30 braid and a lighter action rod to absorb the hookset, not to rip the lure out of the softer mouthed walleye. But strong enough backbone to get them up and out of the think weeds.

Commonly known as "dunking" you vertical jig the bait into the thickest stuff and either jiggle it or rip it back. Similair to rippin a bucktail, you can do the same with the flippin jig.

We've used to the bucktail and heavier lead for grubs to try this, but have more sucess with the Flippin jig. I believe it has something to do with the profile and fall.

Anyways, below is a couple fish pics I could find on the puter with some Flippin Jig walleye. Hope it gives you something else to try when you've given everything already in your arsenal a go.

Myself with one.

cam_walleye1.jpg

A co-angler with another one.

mark-1.jpg

Good Luck.

also for something different I targeted walleyes last year using chart/white senko-type baits.Not just one but dozens were boated.Cast the cabbage.Results will be amazing.

Edited by darsky

also for something different I targeted walleyes last year using chart/white bowling balls with .Not just one but dozens were boated.Cast the cabbage or troll over it.Results will be amazing

I can vouch for the above,Scugog walleye love this technique aswell especially in the evening,problem is you need a real heavy rod to fling them balls.

Note!! post edited because someone got their shorts in a knot about posting a particular technique/lure.

Ridiculous

Edited by lookinforwalleye

This is obviously a ruse, don't waste your time with this technique, it'll never work, seriously! whistling.gif

Haha Spiel :whistling:

If it was a ruse I wouldn't include below my favourite Buckhorn weedline area for some nice bigguns.....

buckhorn.jpg

:)

Edited by Harrison

Eyes, Houseboats and bikini's....that's a true Kawartha post right there. Just need my morning coffee and a picture of an Osprey nest with a few heads peeking out and I'll feel right at home!

Oh and thx for the walleye tip. If I decide this summer to give the carp a break I might just give it a go

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Eyes, Houseboats and bikini's....that's a true Kawartha post right there. Just need my morning coffee and a picture of an Osprey nest with a few heads peeking out and I'll feel right at home!

Oh and thx for the walleye tip. If I decide this summer to give the carp a break I might just give it a go

sorry dont have the coffee but here's the osprey

P6303042.jpg

P6303038.jpg

P6303017.jpg

Edited by tb4me

sorry dont have the coffee but here's the osprey

P6303042.jpg

P6303038.jpg

P6303017.jpg

Thx for that tb4me. We have a nest just down from our place in Bobcaygeon. Mornings and evenings I walk over with a coffee or glass of wine and have a good chat with them. Beansie and I chat with them at another nest near our carp spot as well. Can't wait to get back up there!!!

Thx for that tb4me. We have a nest just down from our place in Bobcaygeon. Mornings and evenings I walk over with a coffee or glass of wine and have a good chat with them. Beansie and I chat with them at another nest near our carp spot as well. Can't wait to get back up there!!!

Your very welcome! This nest is on the trent right across from our dock! Its amazing the size of the fish they drag in that nest for food

Have you tried a dropshot rig on those deep-weed eyes? A heavy weight with a fluke or a leech imitation above it works well in that same situation.

Hey singingdog,

Yes, the dropshot works well sometimes for sparser weeds, however when they are thick and/or canopied(that even a word?) folded over for lack of a better term, the dropshot can be counter productive. Unless you texas rig or texpose the plastic it is easy to get hung up. Not mention harder to get a solid hookup texas style.

Distance between the weight and hook can be hard to judge as well with the varying canopy and "weed under growth" in some of these thick weedbeds. Especially in the Milfoil. The ability to utilize the weight, bulk and weedguard on the fliggin jig is key.

Of course this is all my opinion, but this is what I found works for us.

Here is a pic I found on the web showing somewhat the water I am taking about. Not so much surface cover, as it is usually a foot or two below.

Good Luck.

Milfoil%20Better.jpg

Edited by Harrison

What technique do you use to catch those when nothing else works? :)

Oh, the house boaters...well they are tricky.

Usually it starts with a lot of wine, which turns into the Newphie Jig somehow and what makes it worse I aint newphie, then for the finish I bust out singing one of my Dads songs "My Sweet Lord".

I hooked up once with this technique, but the wife is starting to get impatient waiting for my inheritance. :)

Edited by Harrison

Hey all, I don't post many fishing reports to often anymore for various reasons, however I thought I would share this.

This is a technique we use for Kawartha walleye. So with opener coming up soon I thought I would share and maybe help some boat more fish.

Early day we would target weededges dipping either grubs or ripping bucktails. Which can produce fish like the buckhorn walleye below.

phileye.jpg

But as the sun rose and/or pressure turned on the fish would move deep into the weedbeds. Where you could dip the pockets with the grups or bucktails, however we found the good fish would bury into the thickest growth where the above lures couldn't penetrate. With clients in the boat we had to figure out a way to get them.

We did, and here is how we did it. We would use a "Flippin jig" more known as a bass lure. We would trim the skirts and thin them out a bit for a leaner profile. Sometime the regualr "chunk" or pork works, if not, we use either a power worm or sassy shad/renosky to dress the jig.

Either 9/16 , 1/2 and 3/4oz are the go to's. We fished it with a 20 or 30 braid and a lighter action rod to absorb the hookset, not to rip the lure out of the softer mouthed walleye. But strong enough backbone to get them up and out of the think weeds.

Commonly known as "dunking" you vertical jig the bait into the thickest stuff and either jiggle it or rip it back. Similair to rippin a bucktail, you can do the same with the flippin jig.

We've used to the bucktail and heavier lead for grubs to try this, but have more sucess with the Flippin jig. I believe it has something to do with the profile and fall.

Anyways, below is a couple fish pics I could find on the puter with some Flippin Jig walleye. Hope it gives you something else to try when you've given everything already in your arsenal a go.

Myself with one.

cam_walleye1.jpg

A co-angler with another one.

mark-1.jpg

Good Luck.

Met a fella on Balsam last year who was doing exactly that with trimmed down 1/2 oz black hair jigs.Thanks for the reminder!

Kerry

• 2 months later...