Bats....and star trails

brandon

This past week I was up in the Kirkland Lake area doing a bit of ice fishing and visiting some family friends and I came across something that I had never seen before. Bats....everywhere....and in the daytime. The warm weather has caused them to come out of hibernation early and apparently they're all confused. They did seem to be feeding a bit though which was nice to see. I know other times this has happened and the bats have no food but there were bugs out and they were definitely eating them. They also discovered that snow is a good source of water, as you'll see from the photos......

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1664.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

this one decided to have a nap next to my camera bag

IMG_2213.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

I also took a sunset photo.....

IMG_1807.jpg

and a star trail photo.....

IMG_2099.jpg

Don't have the new camera yet.....that was a 15 minute exposure at 800 ISO

Love the pics. Saw the bats on Facebook. Little Brown Myotis?? Those are great shots!

Star trails are awesome!! Must have been a crazy long exposure! Did you use the 12,000 ISO ..lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Brandon, good to see you still at it. Checked out your youtube video's. Great shots as always. Like the star trails. Went out last year at this awesome spot to try and get some star trails, but my camera wouldn't let me take long enough exposures. Have bought a remote since, but haven't been out to try it yet, hopefully soon. Anyways good to see all you guys still at it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Brandon:

I'm on-line from Smooth Rock Falls, finally. :)

I love the bats in the snow. Amazing subject! And the star trails look like a picture my brother made me on the clear film used for projectors?? I'm going to make a lamp shade out of it. He takes astronomy photos.

Keep up the great work!

Pam